S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a certain battery you guys prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Damn George, what have you got in that trunk the transporter from Star Trek? Or maybe the infamous Flux Capacitor from Back to the future?

One thing's for sure. If you ever get rear-ended the guying is probably going to fry for it!

Originally Posted by androulakis
I have to issue a disclaimer here.

For most people the factory battery or it's Bosch / Motorcraft equivalent will be perfectly fine and all they will need.

I don't think I'm the average user here. I have a 1300 watt stereo, plus a few more aftermarket electrical accessories. I live in the northeast where the car sees a temperature variation of 10 degrees F to 100 Degrees F.

Considering how much of a load I put on the electrical system, for me the more battery capacity the better. And the more cycling capacity the better. (Especially with the stiffening capacitor).

Putting an Optima in an otherwise stock car is kind of overkill and not needed. Will it last longer? Probably.... Will it last twice as long as a regular $100 replacement? (to justify the cost) I don't know... Will you still have the car to find out?

So, in all reality, it's not needed for the typical user.

Take care,

George

Last edited by Staatsof; 04-26-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there any trick to changing a battery in an 05 S-type? My first thought was to loosen the connections, pull the old, put in the new, and replace/tighten the connections.

However, I'm afraid there's some secret step and that it requires re-programming by the dealer.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller
Is there any trick to changing a battery in an 05 S-type? My first thought was to loosen the connections, pull the old, put in the new, and replace/tighten the connections.

However, I'm afraid there's some secret step and that it requires re-programming by the dealer.
There's a battery tie down, and a vent tube as well.

Two bolts on the tie down, and then vent tube, but other than that no black magic or voodoo, or dealers involved.

Take care,

George

Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Some places sell a voltage maintainer to avoid dropping the voltage during a battery change. it is essentially a small battery pack and two wires with alligator clips.

You might need your radio code if it has been previously set.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,069 Posts

So THAT's where the first one went...

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-26-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: kinda-sorta-doubled...almost
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Reset clock, park-brake, and one-touch windows.
Radio presets are allegedly good for 72 hours...so unless you are slower than ME you should be good. No radio codes on US market cars, but I think the heads can be set to other countries so if yours was done that way.....good luck..you may have to deal with a code...

Oh, one last thing..when I changed the wife's recently...you'd have thought me guilty of high-crimes and misdemeanors according to her...for not switching the climate control display back to Deg. F from the default, degrees silligrade...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
When our factory battery begins to cause random codes being thrown, I'll probably go with the Bosch battery as Bob did. Pep Boys charges $99 for them, and I can always find a $15 or $20 coupon in a Pep Boys flyer or on their website. The battery warranty is decent, and for the final cost after adding the coupon into the equation, it's tough to beat that deal....
exactly what i did

Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I have to issue a disclaimer here.

For most people the factory battery or it's Bosch / Motorcraft equivalent will be perfectly fine and all they will need.

I don't think I'm the average user here. I have a 1300 watt stereo, plus a few more aftermarket electrical accessories. I live in the northeast where the car sees a temperature variation of 10 degrees F to 100 Degrees F.

Considering how much of a load I put on the electrical system, for me the more battery capacity the better. And the more cycling capacity the better. (Especially with the stiffening capacitor).

Putting an Optima in an otherwise stock car is kind of overkill and not needed. Will it last longer? Probably.... Will it last twice as long as a regular $100 replacement? (to justify the cost) I don't know... Will you still have the car to find out?

So, in all reality, it's not needed for the typical user.

Take care,

George
interesting choice of equipment. Especially seeing that old coustic in that good of shape. I remember when Larry Fredrick was designing that amp (original phoenix gold designer). What ever larry has his hands on is always good.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
interesting choice of equipment. Especially seeing that old coustic in that good of shape. I remember when Larry Fredrick was designing that amp (original phoenix gold designer). What ever larry has his hands on is always good.
Jason,

Good Eye!

That was brand new in the box till this car. It's a tough little amp. I'm using it bridged to 160x2 for the front stage.

The Sub amp is a Soundstream Picasso, also hand made in the USA. I have another coustic amp still in the box..

I'm saving a ESX By Zed audio Q.175.2 very slightly used but still in the box for the front stage, and a Soundstream Picasso D.900 (last of the handmade USA SS's) for when I get my STR.

I have a couple of the blue soundstream rubicon amps and a Nakamichi MB-100 in dash 6 disc changer(with the external 24bit DAC) and a boston proseries 6.5 / 4/ tweeter 3 way set in the 500sl. Still debating adding a sub in that car

I have a few PPI art series amps, a couple old RF Punch amps...

yeah I like old stereo stuff LOL

Take care,

George