S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an "easy" way to clean inside headlight lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Mine are OK too. No DRLs here. Must just be lucky at 10 yrs old.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Mine only has debris from the disintegrated plastic adjusters on the inside.......

Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been a member of many forums over the years, and have been greatly helped and, hopefully, have helped a few others in that time.

While reading thousands of postings on these forums, I have often been disappointed by what passes for polite interaction among members and, sadly, even moreso by the attitude of some of those put in a position of trust as forum administrators.

Originally Posted by Mikey
And a four year old post was dug up from the grave why?
Apart from certain members on some forums deliberately inciting conflict between each other, there is nothing quite so asinine as when people express sentiments like the one above--particularly when it was obviously delivered with a backhanded slap, just for good measure. I have read various forms of the above question on other forums and, while always irritated at the ignorance of it, have never responded before. Why it would even need to be explained *why* one would add relevant information to, or add additional questions to old postings is mind-boggling. But since apparently yet another person seems both clueless and needlessly rude, I will try to oblige.

The purpose of forums is, primarily, to educate. (Since members generally never meet one another, the social aspect is purely imaginary, as are the 'social' aspects of most online experiences.)

Information expressed on forums about things that continue to exist, like cars (as opposed to something like current events) will ALWAYS be relevant information, whether the poster contributes it in 2010, 2014, or 2035--if our old cars are still around by then.

Whether someone responds to or adds to a previous question or issue (that's still relevant, mind) immediately, or ten years from now, is immaterial. I have seen countless good car questions on many forums left hanging---never originally answered by anyone, and I have seen as many good discussions deserted when those with the facts or knowledge just didn't bother to contribute to a meaningful 'pause point'.

Specific to this forum, many people will continue to do internet searches on topics like 'how to clean inside Jaguar headlights' for YEARS after the initial posting was made on the topic, just as I did today. That information will be just as pertinent to someone years from now as it was when it was first posted in 2010.

A common 'slap-on-the-hand' delivered to people on many forums when they look for information by way of starting a new thread is: "...you should have searched the archives first before asking a question that's been covered already!". By continuing this headlight cleaning thread several years after it was started, new contributors are helping to centralize information about this topic instead of starting countless other threads, thus causing others to have to search endlessly (and often fruitlessly, in my experience) for information on this topic. For those, like me, who only came upon this discussion today, the whole thing is new, whether a post was dated 2010 or 2014.

If you don't like old posts, don't re-read them. Or, better yet, ignore the dates of each contribution unless there is a good reason to take note (ex: dates of recalls or prices of things). If people want others to stop contributing to old threads, then you'll need to overhaul the entire internet first, because someone googling "how to clean inside Jaguar headlights" is going to find this thread whether they search for it tomorrow, or in 2025. They will also find it just as relevant in 2025 as people who contributed to it in 2010 originally did.

And who knows? They might even add some new information or have an additional question then. I hope they don't get snarked at then too.

The following 2 users liked this post by astounded:
Jagord (01-29-2024), Samilcar (11-20-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

My str arrived with one old and one new headlight !
The new one looked like Jewellery beside the old yellowing
Faded one in witch also had cracked chrome on the devider inside
The lens , also both lights had one or two broken adjusters!
So I purchesed a new set of up grade heavy duty epoxy adjusters
From ebay , and dove in. I also removed the gay as chrome from both deviders
For a more custom blacked out look! As there was too much chrome I thort!
I sanded and re clear coated the r/h one and waxed the inside of both lights with auto
Glym renovator wax , thay now look identical
The first pic is befor but doesn't show the cracking and yellowing clear well ,
It also had clouding on the inside and chrome flakes and dust in the r/h one

These are during and after

The following users liked this post:
muad'dib (02-14-2023)
Old 01-29-2024, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a load off your chest, but thank you @astounded - it said it all! That’s exactly the point of forums - a curated database of useful info, no matter when posted. And to prove it, here I am 9 years later, seeking info on how best to get the muck from rural floodwater out of my X-type headlight lenses. The cat was almost submerged and thought a goner, but miraculously lives to ride again. What a car! 🤩