S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat hose wrong way around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 AM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Thermostat hose wrong way around?

I went to replace small thermostat elbow hose and it appears that it was placed upside down from the factory unless I am missing something.
Went to fit a new genuine hose and I noticed the white line marking on the LONG LENGTH of the hose that I assume must line up with the alloy thermostat housing ridge. The original hose was not fitted this way!
I am the 2nd owner and have had the car since 24,000 miles. It had a full Jaguar history before and an early adequate Jaguar history during my time. After the dealers only 2 mechanics have touched the car since and neither I had given reason to remove this hose. I had a close look while removing it and there appeared to be no evidence of this hose ever being removed.
This probably explains why it failed; as the SHORT CORNER was put down over the thermostat housing therefore allowing the LONG CORNER of this right angle hose to wedge and rub on the supercharger snout reinforcement ridge! Simply too much hose in that confined area!

New hose in place and white marking lined up with the alloy ridge. Long corner of the hose should be down as per this photo.

Short corner of the hose on the top side.

Another angle. Very tight area once everything fitted back, where the short corner of the hose needs to sit.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

what year is your STR? Ive never noticed that bleed screw on the passenger side intercooler tube before

Old 02-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
what year is your STR? Ive never noticed that bleed screw on the passenger side intercooler tube before

2003's have a bleeder on both coolers. 4mm allen..

Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
I went to replace small thermostat elbow hose and it appears that it was placed upside down from the factory unless I am missing something.
Went to fit a new genuine hose and I noticed the white line marking on the LONG LENGTH of the hose that I assume must line up with the alloy thermostat housing ridge. The original hose was not fitted this way!
I am the 2nd owner and have had the car since 24,000 miles. It had a full Jaguar history before and an early adequate Jaguar history during my time. After the dealers only 2 mechanics have touched the car since and neither I had given reason to remove this hose. I had a close look while removing it and there appeared to be no evidence of this hose ever being removed.
This probably explains why it failed; as the SHORT CORNER was put down over the thermostat housing therefore allowing the LONG CORNER of this right angle hose to wedge and rub on the supercharger snout reinforcement ridge! Simply too much hose in that confined area!.
Very interesting find. I wasn't even aware that the assembly plant used alignment marks on the hoses. I never pulled that particular hose off to replace as it seemed in good nick.

When you get to the point of installing the actual water crossover manifold..I used a Dremel with an abrasive attachment to buff every hose connection point. As such..Probably available at any big box store.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...20-grit-2-pack

Since I wasn't aware of alignment of hoses..I violated a point I mentioned in the thread I have in the forum now..Alignment of the clamps was something I never took photo's of during disassembly.

You would think the putting all the clamps on the coolers looks all good? When you do that it rubs on the stock plastic intake when re-installed.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2020, 03:41 AM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I take all that back gents. I was wrong!! I checked some old photos and this hose did definitely leave the factory the correct away around! My sincere and humble apologies to all the highly skilled Jaguar engine assembly workers in Wales! They know exactly what they are doing! Don't always trust an over keen amateur..

I am at least glad Catfan01 learnt about the alignment marks!

The following users liked this post:
Catfan01 (02-06-2020)