S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 2003 STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummed the 2005 jag with 118k in Washington DC wasn't a true STR. im going to keep looking for a good deal

Old 02-06-2017, 03:18 PM

I called and spoke to him

Old 02-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

Rex.

I know you are looking for a deal or lower cost STR, but don't lock yourself into purchasing a low dollar car with higher mileage. It may end up being more cost effective to spend $10K to $12K on a lower mileage STR. Presently there are 24 STRs listed in Autotrader. Several in the $10K price range with 54K to 75K miles. There has to be a lower mileage properly serviced one that would last you many years without any big $$ additional work or repair. Crunch some number before committing to a low dollar higher mileage car. (Unless you are a glutton for punishment like many of us are on the forum who work on our own cars to keep them running in great condition.)

Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexnyc
I called and spoke to him
You need to start using the 'quote' button so we can follow who you're replying to.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Old 02-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

That is the same price I just pair for a silver 2003 STR with black interior and 77K miles. But mine has several declared issues, and it is TBD how much it will cost to repair. So perhaps yours is not to bad a price if there are no problems with the car.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
That is the same price I just pair for a silver 2003 STR with black interior and 77K miles. But mine has several declared issues, and it is TBD how much it will cost to repair. So perhaps yours is not to bad a price if there are no problems with the car.
What kind of issues do you have? 77k is very low milage

Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

What kind of issues do you have? 77k is very low milage
P0351 - ignition coil malfunctions
P0300 - engine misfire.

B1246, B1262, B2336, B2307, B1316 - a bunch of peripheral car problems not associated with the engine.

I am hoping that only one ignition coil has failed or there is oil/water in the spark plug hole. If I am unlucky, problems could be caused by a failing timing tensioner, causing a multiple misfire. Car fax service history indicates that the valve cover gaskets have been changes a couple of times.

The seller states that the car has a rattle coming out of the front of the supercharger. I assume the bearing/s in the snout or coupler are going bad.
(I'll likely pull the supercharger and rebuild the snout and change the oil. While I am at it, I will swap out the infamous water line.)

If I luck out with the engine and resolve the misfire problem, then I'll likely spend around $1500 in parts to get the small issues fixed and replace parts in the suspension. Front Tie rods, rear toe rods, bushings...

Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Dam.. that car i was originally looking at had the same codes plus 2 more for misfire cylinder #4 and #5

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Dam.. that car i was originally looking at had the same codes plus 2 more for misfire cylinder #4 and #5
Similar, but could be different root cause when you get so many cylinder misfires. Were all the misfires on one side of the engine? Could be multiple bad coils due to the engine sitting too long, or too much oil leaked down onto the spark plugs. Or it could be a timing chain tensioner starting to go bad so the timing is slightly off causing the misfires. Hart to tell unless you had equipment with you to test. I presume the engine ran, except rough?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 PM

Similar, but could be different root cause when you get so many cylinder misfires. Were all the misfires on one side of the engine? Could be multiple bad coils due to the engine sitting too long, or too much oil leaked down onto the spark plugs. Or it could be a timing chain tensioner starting to go bad so the timing is slightly off causing the misfires. Hart to tell unless you had equipment with you to test. I presume the engine ran, except rough?
Rough and heard rattling. Plus barely had oil

Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a 2006 STR that I bought in 2009. It had 27,000 miles on it. It has 108,000 miles now. All I've replaced oni tin the last 8 years is an O2 sensor, Thermostat, gas cap and battery. It's been a very reliable vehicle. I would suggest spending the extra money and getting a newer STR. 2006 has Variable Valve Timing and the metal timing chain guides. It doesnt have the Brembo brakes but they work just as good and the pads are cheaper.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by hollywooddippa
I've got a 2006 STR that I bought in 2009. It had 27,000 miles on it. It has 108,000 miles now. All I've replaced oni tin the last 8 years is an O2 sensor, Thermostat, gas cap and battery. It's been a very reliable vehicle. I would suggest spending the extra money and getting a newer STR. 2006 has Variable Valve Timing and the metal timing chain guides. It doesnt have the Brembo brakes but they work just as good and the pads are cheaper.
The older models had plastic timing chain guides?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The older models had plastic timing chain guides?
You're getting your facts mixed.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You're getting your facts mixed.
I know that the newer models had VVT and Jaguar brakes. But i thought that was the only difference. Am i correct? 2006 and up i think.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I know that the newer models had VVT and Jaguar brakes. But i thought that was the only difference. Am i correct? 2006 and up i think.
I believe in 2005, Jaguar started building the phase III version of the S-type.
Besides Brakes and VVT, I believe the Electrical was changed. Updated ECM, BCM, Instrument cluster. Front bumper design update? Aluminum hood?
At some point they removed the Cat from the hood and put the round emblem in the grill.

All the changes are listed somewhere in a thread here on the forum. It has been a while since I read the thread.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Link to thread on timing chain tensioners: Image of old plastic versus new metal bodied tensioners. All STRs have the metal tensioners, and stories of failed tensioners on late model AJ-V8s are far and few between. Except: As the engine ages, the springs in the tensioners can weaken and the plastic guides wear, leading to more noise and sloppier timing of the cams, but typically not a failure where the engine is damaged.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ners-how-4747/

Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Rex.

I know you are looking for a deal or lower cost STR, but don't lock yourself into purchasing a low dollar car with higher mileage. It may end up being more cost effective to spend $10K to $12K on a lower mileage STR. Presently there are 24 STRs listed in Autotrader. Several in the $10K price range with 54K to 75K miles. There has to be a lower mileage properly serviced one that would last you many years without any big $$ additional work or repair. Crunch some number before committing to a low dollar higher mileage car. (Unless you are a glutton for punishment like many of us are on the forum who work on our own cars to keep them running in great condition.)
rexnyc - i'm sending you this link again in case it slipped by you. this car has all the hallmarks of a good deal. "asking" is the key word. 9K is pretty good if it can be had for 8K cash and alot of peace of mind about condition. Consider that it's on this forum as well, not some CL *&^%box.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...type-r-176222/

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by jagstuart
rexnyc - i'm sending you this link again in case it slipped by you. this car has all the hallmarks of a good deal. "asking" is the key word. 9K is pretty good if it can be had for 8K cash and alot of peace of mind about condition. Consider that it's on this forum as well, not some CL *&^%box.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...type-r-176222/
Its a beauty. I have to save up some more, i currently have 5k saved

Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

I believe in 2005, Jaguar started building the phase III version of the S-type.
Besides Brakes and VVT, I believe the Electrical was changed. Updated ECM, BCM, Instrument cluster. Front bumper design update? Aluminum hood?
At some point they removed the Cat from the hood and put the round emblem in the grill.

All the changes are listed somewhere in a thread here on the forum. It has been a while since I read the thread.
the cat on the hood was removed and fitted to the grill on the 03.

besides the ecm,bcm,tcm,vvt,brakes,wheel rims, instrument cluster and front and rear of the car they are the same.
and id argue that if all the tsb's are addressed . then 03-04 STR'S are as good as 05 as far as a daily road cars go . and a good bit better looking . maybe only to me but just my opinion anyway.
05 did get the alloy bonnet which is 3 inches longer than previous models .
05 also had the screen washer jets moved from the hood to the wiper arm .
tail lights are also different along with boot lid being changed and having the chrome trim added
and for the 05 STR the boot lip/spoiler was reduced in width and thickness and hight . lots of little things .
and in my opinion every little visible change jag made to the STR after 04 (except the instrument cluster in witch i agree 05 looks nicer than 03-04 ) , they took a little bit of the sporty sedan look away . and kind of ruined the nose in my eyes. still admirable all the same .