S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about buying an STR

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Dave, go ahead and make a recording for Joycesjag, but I'm pretty sure the connecting rod bearings are shot. My "X" idled smoothly with the "tick" and it became a "rap" as RPM in gear increased. Drove her several hundreds of miles till "The dying day" came... On the way home the motor clanked and clunked. On the X-Type forum there are many threads with pics of motor tear downs revealing what the tick then rap is. She's toast son...time for an STR

Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright guys I will be going to the dealership in the morning if I'm able to negotiat a resonable price I'll be bringing it home but before I get to signing anything and putting down cash I'm gonna have them put it up on the lift to check for any thing out of the ordinary and also have the jagate re adjusted. I will also be having them do a compression test to make sure there are no problems with head gaskets, valves and cylinder wear. Can anyone tell me what the compression should be at for a healthy v8 engine?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im almost positive that the compression on the STR is 9.1:1 which is slightly different then the non supercharged version. You can check the owners manual. It lists the compression for the STR and other motors towards the end.

If theres anything about the car that you want them to fix, make them agree to it as part of the deal. Then just make sure you get it in writting that they owe you it before you sign the paperwork. I made the dealership throw in the maintenance that was due as part of the deal and they tried to forget..... lol.. so stay on top of that paperwork before you sign.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

David, Maddyn is spot-on...the STR's CR is 9.1:1 whilst the n/a is 11:1 And have all agreed items in writing. I doubt they'll do a cylinder compression test as a means to not blow a deal, but wil tell ya to buy their premium "sourced-out" warranty so in the event.... Dave, the STR's 4.2, trans., and rear are pretty stout. I have a feelin ya'll be postin yer new blown gal in your next thread. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

My guess is that he wanted a compression figure as you'd measure it (150, 175, 200 or whatever - are those psi?). Not my expertise as you've figured by here.......

Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yep jagv8...CR measured in psi. kilopascals: metric?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

most engines are slightly different depending on what kind of pistons etc are used if i remember correctly. Id say as long as all cylinders are within 10 psi of each other then everythings fine. what you want to see would be something like, 160, 160, 165, 160,155,160,160,160. or something like that. you dont want to see any of those numbers low like 110 if all the rest are high.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
David, Maddyn is spot-on...the STR's CR is 9.1:1 whilst the n/a is 11:1 And have all agreed items in writing. I doubt they'll do a cylinder compression test as a means to not blow a deal, but wil tell ya to buy their premium "sourced-out" warranty so in the event.... Dave, the STR's 4.2, trans., and rear are pretty stout. I have a feelin ya'll be postin yer new blown gal in your next thread. Good luck.
Ahh great... I really didn't need to hear that, I'm already scarred for life because of my current situation, im paranoid as it is with out hearing things like this especially when it's a much more expensive car. But with a warranty I'll feel a little better I guess. The way this sounds kinda sounds like the STR is unreliable. Kinda adds to the hype that jaguars always have problems. Problem is, is that I don't want to drive anything else. Nothing feels the same as a jag.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I was really scared when I bought my STR. But since November I've had exactly zero issues. Not even a CEL.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I was really scared when I bought my STR. But since November I've had exactly zero issues. Not even a CEL.
i feel you, I'm feeling that same way right now but only because what i'm dealing with right now with my 06. I'v always wanted an str but they are very hard to come by theses days. I rarely see them on the roads here in ga i think i've seen about 4 different ones since i've lived here.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by DavidRey
i feel you, I'm feeling that same way right now but only because what i'm dealing with right now with my 06. I'v always wanted an str but they are very hard to come by theses days. I rarely see them on the roads here in ga i think i've seen about 4 different ones since i've lived here.

It's a great car, but it's a car and none of them are perfect. Even brand new ones can be problematic.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Ahh great... I really didn't need to hear that, I'm already scarred for life because of my current situation, im paranoid as it is with out hearing things like this especially when it's a much more expensive car. But with a warranty I'll feel a little better I guess. The way this sounds kinda sounds like the STR is unreliable. Kinda adds to the hype that jaguars always have problems. Problem is, is that I don't want to drive anything else. Nothing feels the same as a jag.
I'm confused by this post. Nothing bfsgross said indicated unreliability...when he said "new blown gal in your next thread" he meant a post showing off your supercharged (blown) STR, not a blown engine. You probably know this but the way you worded your post made me think perhaps a clarification would be beneficial.

Now go buy it!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Jaguar has no specs for cranking compression. They want the lowest reading to be at least 75% of the highest reading. They also recommend spraying a little oil in the cylinders and redo the test if at first you don't get the results above. Engine should be warmed up prior to doing the test. Crank each cylinder at least 5 revolutions before reading the gauge.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I'm confused by this post. Nothing bfsgross said indicated unreliability...when he said "new blown gal in your next thread" he meant a post showing off your supercharged (blown) STR, not a blown engine. You probably know this but the way you worded your post made me think perhaps a clarification would be beneficial.

Now go buy it!
Ooooh okay thanks for clearing that up lol I get it blown as in supercharged sorry I'm new to Theses slang terms for the STR Now i'm just waiting to hear what they say from the bank hope it turns out good so I can ditch my ebony "06" 3.0 nightmare lol. I cant wait to get it out of here!!! only down side is that I will be loosing a little but not as much if the engine was to go out.

Last edited by DavidRey; 06-22-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 AM

One of the main reason i picked the STR over different cars youve said yourself. There are only a few of them out there, and getting harder to come by. Seriously, Who wants to drive something everyone else is driving?

Good luck with the banks

Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Alright guys I wasn't able to get the silver STR because some one had bought it before I got every thing together, But I did find a 2007 ebony STR with 41K and still has warranty until 2013. Car felt great just like the 06 I test drove but I couldn't hear the sound of the supercharger whirling even when I gave it some gas I could barely hear it over the wind noise and the growl of the engine. Did jaguar change this on the 07? I really loved that sound. Also when turning the key to ignition on I hear a thump sound. I did this a few times and it always does this.

Last edited by DavidRey; 06-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Alright guys I wasn't able to get the silver STR because some one had bought it before I got every thing together, But I did find a 2007 ebony STR with 41K and still has warranty until 2013. Car felt great just like the 06 I test drove but I couldn't hear the sound of the supercharger whirling even when I gave it some gas I could barely hear it over the wind noise and the growl of the engine. Did jaguar change this on the 07? I really loved that sound. Also when turning the key to ignition on I hear a thump sound. I did this a few times and it always does this.
honestly i cant hear my supercharger if the windows are open. If i close the windows and get on her, you can hear it. It isnt very loud anyway, not like an aftermarket one at least.

Define the "thump" a little more. And if it is under warranty until 2013, you should be pretty problem free. I almost bought an 05 before i found my 03. While i will say i have done a good amount of repairs on mine, it has been no worse than some other vehicles i have had in the past. Namely some of my v-dubs. Parts are a little more than normal.

concerning reliability, i have no qualms taking my car anywhere. Except if it is snowing, or lots of mud.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
honestly i cant hear my supercharger if the windows are open. If i close the windows and get on her, you can hear it. It isnt very loud anyway, not like an aftermarket one at least.

Define the "thump" a little more. And if it is under warranty until 2013, you should be pretty problem free. I almost bought an 05 before i found my 03. While i will say i have done a good amount of repairs on mine, it has been no worse than some other vehicles i have had in the past. Namely some of my v-dubs. Parts are a little more than normal.

concerning reliability, i have no qualms taking my car anywhere. Except if it is snowing, or lots of mud.
well this was with the windows rolled up. The whole time I was thinking to my self where is noise of the supercharger? Basically when I turn the key to ignition on with out starting the engine I hear a "thump" after two seconds that sounds like I'ts comming from the bottom of the engine bay area.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Default I Got It!

Alright guys got rid of the 3.0 and got the R.

Attached Thumbnails thinking about buying an STR-100_9515.jpg   thinking about buying an STR-100_9518.jpg   thinking about buying an STR-100_9519.jpg   thinking about buying an STR-100_9516.jpg   thinking about buying an STR-100_9520.jpg  

Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 PM

Awesome!!! Congrats!!

Quick Reply: thinking about buying an STR