S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of buying.

I am thinking of buying a 2003 XTR this weekend and need advice as to what to look for. I've never had a Jag before OR ANYTHING supercharged. What should I look/listen for on this car? Someone mentioned listening for timing chain chatter. It has 119,000 on it and looks well taken care of buy an older gentleman. I'm selling my 2003 Mustang and buying the Jag for $6,000. What kind of performance difference can I expect? I know it's a bigger car but has a lot more power.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Souhrada
I am thinking of buying a 2003 XTR this weekend and need advice as to what to look for. I've never had a Jag before OR ANYTHING supercharged. What should I look/listen for on this car? Someone mentioned listening for timing chain chatter. It has 119,000 on it and looks well taken care of buy an older gentleman. I'm selling my 2003 Mustang and buying the Jag for $6,000. What kind of performance difference can I expect? I know it's a bigger car but has a lot more power.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

No timing chain problems after Jag updated everything for the third and final time when the 2003 and up S types came out. All STR's were produced with the latest 3rd generation timing tensions (The main problem) and updated chains as well.

You will do fine if that Mustang is any indication of your mechanic skills. Did you build it or buy it?

The biggest thing is you have to DIY these cars. The dealer is just too expensive. Make sure you get the JTIS (Shop Manual) and the JEPC (Electronic parts manual). These are both free and on this forum. Get and install them now before you need them.

My 2005 STR has been very good but be aware of that hose under the super charger. Mine finally leaked at about 120K miles. I changed it and that was one tough job!

By this late date almost all the problems have been solved and posted on this list. I never would have kept the car this long without the list. Just a ton of details on all the stuff that goes wrong.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Also, don't forget all the coolant hoses and plastic connections. There are many hoses and the connectors tend to break when you attempt to replace a hose. The plastic ages and becomes brittle. Just something to be aware of.

Also, you can't check the tranny fluid level and changing it is kind of a yukkie job.

And, as tbird6 says, the coolant hose under the supercharger is an unpleasant discovery...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 01-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
No timing chain problems after Jag updated everything for the third and final time when the 2003 and up S types came out. All STR's were produced with the latest 3rd generation timing tensions (The main problem) and updated chains as well.

You will do fine if that Mustang is any indication of your mechanic skills. Did you build it or buy it?

The biggest thing is you have to DIY these cars. The dealer is just too expensive. Make sure you get the JTIS (Shop Manual) and the JEPC (Electronic parts manual). These are both free and on this forum. Get and install them now before you need them.

My 2005 STR has been very good but be aware of that hose under the super charger. Mine finally leaked at about 120K miles. I changed it and that was one tough job!

By this late date almost all the problems have been solved and posted on this list. I never would have kept the car this long without the list. Just a ton of details on all the stuff that goes wrong.
THANKS, I bought the Mustang just as you see it. Only thing I done was put lowering springs, control arm and caster camber plates on it. I do all my own work u less it's too big of a job. Is there a name for the hose under the blower? I'd like to look into that. Also, is $6k a good price? How does the tranny hold up?

Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

I think not one of the common faults on the 03 Str
Would put me off buy another one . Thay truly are a nice experience !!
There's the shity upper door trim clips , the blocking sun roof drains , the exploding gell
Control arm radious bushes , the tranz surge & lurch , the plastic thermostat housing& bypass manafold , knocking sway bar end mounts and the ***** to change rear sway bar mount bushes ,stripping the stainless off the lug nuts, $500 tranz service admitadly not a fault just a pain, the water issue with the skuttle Panal leaking water in to the throttle position senser plug , exesive water entering the Cabin on your feet via the pollin filter, and the (water holding issues as stated TB water connections and under super charger hose also the splitting of the coolant header tank falure )witch is the only issue I have not had yet in this list ,
Still all fairly easily fixed ! Don't let any of that put you off it worth the effort !!!
As for performance comparason the jag will be way softer ride but still notice the low profile tyres ! And Unless you put an irs in that muzzy the jag will way out handle it ,
Also watch your head when you first try the brembo brakes out I think thay will surprise you too , as for the SC 4.2 night and day over a stock 5liter ford but I have no experiance with the 4.6l ford yours doesn't look stock anyways so hard to answer that one ! A worked na 5liter ford will be similar power to the early 4.2sc , but there's hardly words to explain the thrill of a super compfy Str once there's over 450BHP squeezed from it , so do some work on it you won't regret it

Last edited by Datsports; 01-08-2016 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jason Souhrada (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Also are those factory wheels on that Str ? I thort thay all came on zues 5 spokes never seen these before

Old 01-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

THANKS, I bought the Mustang just as you see it. Only thing I done was put lowering springs, control arm and caster camber plates on it. I do all my own work u less it's too big of a job. Is there a name for the hose under the blower? I'd like to look into that. Also, is $6k a good price? How does the tranny hold up?
The under super charger pipe is a throttle body coolant pipe and can be replaced or bypassed but neather is an easy job ! As sc and tb must be removed to do so ! The 6hp26 trans are super strong the Aussies are running 700+ HP throu them in the Falcons with no failures , but runn over a rock or 4x2 or belly it and it can be lights out for that tranz it happens a lot as the pan is plastic ! The Aussies have a steel conversion pan for the Zf so problem solved if you do it early enuff !
I'm guessing $6k usd as that puts it around $11k nzd
Witch would be a steel here , 03 Str's trend at around $18k

Last edited by Datsports; 01-08-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Bone stock other than exhaust and a cold air intake. Seemed weak to me.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone! I have learned that the transmission has something called "lurch" when coming to a slow stop the transmission "bumps" Is this something to worry about?

Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
Also are those factory wheels on that Str ? I thort thay all came on zues 5 spokes never seen these before
I honestly don't know. But I think they look good.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yep I thort so to but 200hp per tonn is around the same as a hotted up civic not rediculis
But plenty . But instead of sitting cramped up with your knees beside your ears in the ricer for 15k you'll be sprooled out in the compfort of the big jag lounge chair at break neak speeds for 6k , besides The cats will be choked up and doing the cat back exhaust at 2.5" and an x pipe gives a good bit more there's 9to 14hp by puting on the 3" intake elbow, another few by opening the inake flap and fitting a k&n filter, then there's the sc pullie upgrade for a real noticeable differance ! Even 1.5 psi is noticeable ! The power is still smotherd by compfort and sound deadning and supple suspention ! It's there still just smooth rather than roar ! You really have to watch the speedo climb to get the esance of the power. Your reliesing! You can get close to 400hp at the wheels with a bit of persiverance ! Or if you have a **** tonn of money do the TS supercharger for a big grinn at around 600bhp,
Plus I noticed that after rebooting all the computers in mine after getting it and letting it learn my driving style all was mutch better in the world ! Even befor the mods the tranz was lazy in mine when I got it and now is brilliant

Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Yep I thort so to but 200hp per tonn is around the same as a hotted up civic not rediculis
But plenty . But instead of sitting cramped up with your knees beside your ears in the ricer for 15k you'll be sprooled out in the compfort of the big jag lounge chair at break neak speeds for 6k , besides The cats will be choked up and doing the cat back exhaust at 2.5" and an x pipe gives a good bit more there's 9to 14hp by puting on the 3" intake elbow, another few by opening the inake flap and fitting a k&n filter, then there's the sc pullie upgrade for a real noticeable differance ! Even 1.5 psi is noticeable ! The power is still smotherd by compfort and sound deadning and supple suspention ! It's there still just smooth rather than roar ! You really have to watch the speedo climb to get the esance of the power. Your reliesing! You can get close to 400hp at the wheels with a bit of persiverance ! Or if you have a **** tonn of money do the TS supercharger for a big grinn at around 600bhp,
Plus I noticed that after rebooting all the computers in mine after getting it and letting it learn my driving style all was mutch better in the world ! Even befor the mods the tranz was lazy in mine when I got it and now is brilliant
How can I do this "reboot" you speak of? Pretty sure my driving style will differ from the original owner.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone! I have learned that the transmission has something called "lurch" when coming to a slow stop the transmission "bumps" Is this something to worry about?
You'll know if it's there , generaly is a torqu converter issue ! Some say it feels like some one hit you in the back bumper , so must be real noticeable !
Mine didn't have that as some seem to have skipped that issue
But mine did have the surge witch pulsates the reves up& down at between 60&75kph witch is temp related only from stone cold and goes away after under 10mins at (cant remember around 30-50 degrees Celsius tranz temp )this was fixed wit a tranz softwear update not major !

Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

How can I do this "reboot" you speak of? Pretty sure my driving style will differ from the original owner.
First check you have radio code if needed then
1/Disconnect the battery negative in the boot/trunk
2/wait a min
3/jump the negitive earth lead to the positive lead to drain the computer caps
And leave conected for a min then unconnect them to half min
4/refit the earth cable to the neg batt termanal
5/reset park brake via message center instructions/ reset radio/ reset clock /
Drive into sunset !
It takes about a week for the trans to learn but default may still be better than the old guys setting! Thay say to leave sport mode off wile its learning but I can't do that so I ignored that one with still great results !

Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 PM

First check you have radio code if needed then
1/Disconnect the battery negative in the boot/trunk
2/wait a min
3/jump the negitive earth lead to the positive lead to drain the computer caps
And leave conected for a min then unconnect them to half min
4/refit the earth cable to the neg batt termanal
5/reset park brake via message center instructions/ reset radio/ reset clock /
Drive into sunset !
It takes about a week for the trans to learn but default may still be better than the old guys setting! Thay say to leave sport mode off wile its learning but I can't do that so I ignored that one with still great results !
It has an aftermarket touch screen radio. Is this going to matter?

Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

It has an aftermarket touch screen radio. Is this going to matter?
No it won't hurt that ! She sure looks nice in there , well kept!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 PM

No it won't hurt that ! She sure looks nice in there , well kept!
Thanks, One owner.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I just looked at the listing and all the photos. Mileage is the issue to me. I would have cash in hand and offer $5100. If they say no, start walking. They won't let you leave with all the green stuff. Look at the Greenville and Atlanta listings. Plenty of choices. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

It's purely a software issue. Jag issued an update which is successful most of the time. The lurch will not damage anything if left as-is.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying.