S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my 05 STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I'm looking to get rid of it is because its time for something new.

Cant bring myself to buy the XFR , which I was planning on doing but just cant get over the lack luster style. My mom said it looks like a Buick.

Thinking E63 as I really like the way the new E class looks.

As for the squeek/noise on start up mine would be really bad on humid days and if it was cold out it would be very loud.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I had my belt and pulleys changed out as well.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Dang I think we are opposites. LOL. I actually love the new XFR styling and hate the new E classes. I love the power of the new E AMG but I always liked the previous styling. I think the new E rear end looks like a Hyundia. If you get the new E you'll have to post up some pics here since I only seen one or 2 AMGs in the new style and they were driving so didnt get a good look.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I agree with George. Sounds like a really nice car in great shape, but the market is what it is.

On the other hand, you never know, there might be someone out there just dying for a mint STR and is willing to pony up.
I did last August but then the one I bought had 14K miles and 11 months of warranty. I think this one has a lot more miles. i paid less than 22K. Bone stock and not many options like adaptive cruise, phone or voice. It did have the ACM though.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

The arden exhaust and the grille will definitely give you car a little more appeal to a buyer, and should give you a bit of 'negotiation' leverage. Sounds like a very clean car, and there will be a few out there that will appreciate not only the condition, but the couple 'upgrades' that it includes, and be willing to pay a bit higher than a regular STR, I fit that type, and I'd expect maybe $1k more if I were a shopper. The brakes and rotors WE all know cost an arm and a leg for an R, but the basic shopper won't know that, until they own the car, so that recent maintenance will be nice to know as a interested buyer, but it won't add any monetary value to the car, unfortunately.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
The arden exhaust and the grille will definitely give you car a little more appeal to a buyer, and should give you a bit of 'negotiation' leverage. Sounds like a very clean car, and there will be a few out there that will appreciate not only the condition, but the couple 'upgrades' that it includes, and be willing to pay a bit higher than a regular STR, I fit that type, and I'd expect maybe $1k more if I were a shopper. The brakes and rotors WE all know cost an arm and a leg for an R, but the basic shopper won't know that, until they own the car, so that recent maintenance will be nice to know as a interested buyer, but it won't add any monetary value to the car, unfortunately.
See I agree with you here.

Wholesale is about 17,800 which puts Private party market value around 20k + or -.

Now, If you factor that this car is spotless and you can eat off of it etc and there is nothing wrong with it, and it needs nothing, you can fairly say 21k. Add to that the arden stuff worth around 1k in the resale to a true enthusiast, and you're still at the 22k that the OP turned away...

Realistically you can get a similar car minus the Arden stuff for 20k all day long.

As far as brakes, rotors, tires etc, that is stuff you negotiate DOWN from. New brakes don't add value, worn brakes detract from it. New tires may add a bit (although those runflats are gonna get LOUD). But bald tires once again detract.

I just dont think there's much more left in her....

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I did last August but then the one I bought had 14K miles and 11 months of warranty. I think this one has a lot more miles. i paid less than 22K. Bone stock and not many options like adaptive cruise, phone or voice. It did have the ACM though.
Nice buy for sure.

My 03 had 23k, basically flawless. Paid under "book" for it.

But I guess what I was getting at, is that they are not making these anymore. There might be someone who just really really has his heart set on an STR and would jump at a relatively low mile exceptionally clean car, even if knowingly overpaying.

No harm for him to see what the market will do...likely he will have to come down but if he's in no hurry, heck with it, let it ride. At least for a little while.

FWIW if my mom was picking my car, I'd probably have a Camry for crissakes.

XFR's are sweet. Was sitting in one on Saturday......

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Like I mentioned in my original post , I was open to offers. Was not really looking for an opinion on price that’s why I didn’t originally put one. I was looking to speak with a someone who is interested in giving my car a good home not hear opinions or debate on an exact dollar figure. We are talking about a range of $5,000 dollars and no this car is not for someone who is looking for a cheap or a great deal on a STR.

I just cant get over the lack luster style of the XFR. Also the back seat is small as is my STR. The E class actually has a usable back seat and some neat options. I wont be looking until this summer so who knows I may change my mind.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a fan of the XFR or the E63 either. The Benzo is once again overpriced and too stodgy looking. Usually snobs buy those and then never drive them the way they are intended.

I agree 22k take that and run, if the guy is really serious about it. I wouldn't take less than 28k for my car right now which has 19k miles on it and I put about $3k into it..

Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy05STR
Like I mentioned in my original post , I was open to offers. Was not really looking for an opinion on price that’s why I didn’t originally put one. I was looking to speak with a someone who is interested in giving my car a good home not hear opinions or debate on an exact dollar figure. We are talking about a range of $5,000 dollars and no this car is not for someone who is looking for a cheap or a great deal on a STR.

I just cant get over the lack luster style of the XFR. Also the back seat is small as is my STR. The E class actually has a usable back seat and some neat options. I wont be looking until this summer so who knows I may change my mind.
Didn't mean to start a debate. My family has been in the car business for a long time, and I was just offering you some friendly advice of take that 22k and run, because I don't believe it would bring any more, EVEN on a retail lot.

It's your car and you're free to ask what you wish. Trust me 22k is the high end of the market, hardly cheap or a great deal. But keep in mind that at the end of the day the car is only worth what someone is actually willing to pay.

One final piece of advice. Do NOT let the odometer cross 50,000 if you are planning on selling it, especially for top dollar. Changes the buyer demographic, and possible financing options.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Once again I am not looking for advice on the price. I got the car new and am in the market for a $80-100K car.. not to be rude but think about it I don't need advice from you on the price.

Almost regret even posting it.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Geez George was just helping you by telling you what the market is doing for STR's. Essentially thats what your target audience is going to be for selling the car. He is letting you know what STR's are going for. When I was in the market I barely saw an 05 over 21000 and if it was it had under 25000 miles on it. I wrench on my own cars so I can care less about warranties. I do know warranties are good selling features I wouldn't of paid that much more for one. When I bought my STR which is an 05 I got it for 17000 out the door with a warranty it would of been 2000 more. It only had 10000 more miles then yours and it was almost a year ago. Market is going to dictate what you are gonna get and right now I dont think the market is that high. I wish it was but sad to say it really isnt. Ultimatly its up to you, people here are giving you good advice to help you get people interested in the car. You aren't even priced within what a loan company or bank will even give anyone for an STR. I believe my bank said for an 05 with 60000 miles last year was only about 21000. I think if you are that far off from the market you aren't gonna get very many if any people looking at it. When it turns up in a search next to similiar cars with less miles or the same miles at a lower price people are gonna wonder why is this one so high and just let it go off their radar.
Take any advice with a grain of salt in the end its your car and if thats the price you want then by all means ask it just saying you may have it for a while.

Also not really sure what you being in the market for a 80-100k car really has to do with anything. Its almost sounding like cause you are in the market for a car that much you should get a higher amount for your car now.

Last edited by vance580; 03-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Geez George was just helping you by telling you what the market is doing for STR's. Essentially thats what your target audience is going to be for selling the car. He is letting you know what STR's are going for. When I was in the market I barely saw an 05 over 21000 and if it was it had under 25000 miles on it. I wrench on my own cars so I can care less about warranties. I do know warranties are good selling features I wouldn't of paid that much more for one. When I bought my STR which is an 05 I got it for 17000 out the door with a warranty it would of been 2000 more. It only had 10000 more miles then yours and it was almost a year ago. Market is going to dictate what you are gonna get and right now I dont think the market is that high. I wish it was but sad to say it really isnt. Ultimatly its up to you, people here are giving you good advice to help you get people interested in the car. You aren't even priced within what a loan company or bank will even give anyone for an STR. I believe my bank said for an 05 with 60000 miles last year was only about 21000. I think if you are that far off from the market you aren't gonna get very many if any people looking at it. When it turns up in a search next to similiar cars with less miles or the same miles at a lower price people are gonna wonder why is this one so high and just let it go off their radar.
Take any advice with a grain of salt in the end its your car and if thats the price you want then by all means ask it just saying you may have it for a while.

Also not really sure what you being in the market for a 80-100k car really has to do with anything. Its almost sounding like cause you are in the market for a car that much you should get a higher amount for your car now.
Vance... i got my 05 STR last year from a dealer..
not in bad condition, but not prestines...
i paid for $17000 plus $2000 for 4 years unlimited millage warranty..
and this is in Houston.
then again... let him decide how much to sell... and see if it sell able..
George.. .sorry for being chew up... I don't think anyone deserve it especially when offering help...
take care

Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Vance... i got my 05 STR last year from a dealer..
not in bad condition, but not prestines...
i paid for $17000 plus $2000 for 4 years unlimited millage warranty..
and this is in Houston.
then again... let him decide how much to sell... and see if it sell able..
George.. .sorry for being chew up... I don't think anyone deserve it especially when offering help...
take care
Hey we got the same deal. LOL. That may even be the same warranty they offered me but I had already had my financing done and since I wrench on my own cars wasnt really interested. I wanted to be at a certain payment too since I was going to be attending school didnt want to have to high of a payment since I was leaving work, which the warranty would of affected. The only thing wrong with mine is the previous owner bottomed out the front which I'm gonna fix later since I tend to tap it here and there trying to park away from people. Yea dont sweat it George some people just dont like help.

Hope you sell it and the new owner sounds like he will get a nice ride. Enjoy your E-class or whatever you get if you get the E you'll fit in perfect on their boards. MBWorld.org is a pretty decent one.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Hey we got the same deal. LOL. That may even be the same warranty they offered me but I had already had my financing done and since I wrench on my own cars wasnt really interested. I wanted to be at a certain payment too since I was going to be attending school didnt want to have to high of a payment since I was leaving work, which the warranty would of affected. The only thing wrong with mine is the previous owner bottomed out the front which I'm gonna fix later since I tend to tap it here and there trying to park away from people. Yea dont sweat it George some people just dont like help.

Hope you sell it and the new owner sounds like he will get a nice ride. Enjoy your E-class or whatever you get if you get the E you'll fit in perfect on their boards. MBWorld.org is a pretty decent one.
HI Vance..
You are truly inspirational ... i learn a lot from your video clips... (you see i m not as handy as you.. )but with those clips.. man.. i did change my own break pads (except for the rears ... you know why ... was hopping you have a clip.. hahahahaa) i did my headlight (brutal style) change my cabin air filter etc..

thanks for the good clip once again.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words. I've got to get off my butt and edit the rear brake one. I've got all the footage but a tool breakdown so if I get my school paper done Sat I'll try and get it editted this weekend. Then I can get it uploaded.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy05STR
Once again I am not looking for advice on the price. I got the car new and am in the market for a $80-100K car.. not to be rude but think about it I don't need advice from you on the price.

Almost regret even posting it.

Not to state the obvious here, but when you post on a public message board you may get some feedback or input you didn't ask for or want to hear. And let's be honest, you are not a contributing member of the forum, you joined simply to troll your product, sorry you didn't get the feedback or sale you were looking for.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

New E Class looks more refined than its previous models . However, I dislike the way rear lights look , they look cheaper and some sort of Hyundai . I 2nd that with that comment .

Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Not to state the obvious here, but when you post on a public message board you may get some feedback or input you didn't ask for or want to hear. And let's be honest, you are not a contributing member of the forum, you joined simply to troll your product, sorry you didn't get the feedback or sale you were looking for.

Indeed. Just because you were not looking for an opinion on price doesn't mean you aren't going to get one anyway and it will be debated on here. EVERYTHING is debated on this board. I see that as a positive. You know members on here would be perspective buyers, that's why you started the thread. I would think this feedback would be useful to you.

If all you want to do Jeremy05STR is sell your car, sans debate, then you perhaps should have just posted it in the Classifieds section of the forums.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Just for comparison, I bought my 06 in Jan 09 so it was just two and a half years old at the time. 29000 miles on her MINT, MINT condition.

$23,500.00 was what I paid. This was in Houston as well.

If I sold it today at 50,000 miles, still MINT I would be glad to get $18000.00 for it

Just my two cents on this thread.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my 05 STR