S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to those w/ Magnaflow hi-flow cats...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to those w/ Magnaflow hi-flow cats...

...are you guys using one of the universal fit cats? I cannot seem to find one anywhere that is dedicated to the STR.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I have Magnaflow hi-flo cats on my STR. There are no direct fit Magnaflow cats. Go to Summitt Racing and order the "spun" (no seams) cats (2 1/2" inlet-outlet) $75 each. They'll wake up your STR like there's no tomorrow. Check my soon to be written thread "Hi-Flow cats/1.5 pulley...just what the DR. ordered".

Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM

I'll definitely do that. Going from memory here, which can occasionally be suspect, but I think I read that you and Riski have virtually identical exhaust systems (except for resonator delete?). I intend to replicate it, unless something revolutionary comes along in the next month or two. What kind of total cost, give or take, should I expect?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Copy cats

Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

The Magnaflow cats were $160/pair, Magnaflow x-pipe was $85, Dynomax glass packed resonators were $70/pair, Magnaflow mufflers were $160/pair, and the Mina Galleries Porsch style dual s/s exhaust tips were $120/pair. The 2 1/2" pipe and the installation of all components was approx. $800. Not too bad cost-wise when considering the exhaust modification alone will unleash an estimated 25+ HP and serves as foundation for all other modifications.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Was there a particular reason you (and others) specifically went with the Magnaflow mufflers?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Mine cost 470 bucks, but me and a friend did it....

2.5" Magnaflow mufflers
2.5" stainless x-pipe
2.5" stainless pipe from cats back
3" tips

Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Phil, Magnaflow mufflers are made well, fit well, are affordable ($80 each), and emit an authoritve but not too overbearing a note. Price out import exhaust systems...$1200 to $2000+. Their x-pipe apparently fits like it was meant to be there ie. just the right width and length. The Magnaflow hi-flow "spun" cats are the closest to a "gutted out" cat and are only $75/each.

Last edited by bfsgross; 09-04-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Passenger side cat is breaking apart inside....

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Phil, Magnaflow mufflers are made well, fit well, are affordable ($80 each), and emit an authoritve but not too an overbearing note. Price out import exhaust systems...$1200 to $2000+. Their x-pipe apparently fits like it was meant to be there ie. just the right width and length. The Magnaflow hi-flow "spun" cats are the closest to a "gutted out" cat and are only $75/each.
I hope someone can help me out on this. My passenger side cat is making a clicking sound when revving the engine or driving. The honeycomb inside I'm guessing is flapping around in there. Now the problem is, whomever had this STR 03' welding the cat to the pipe. Now I'm going to have to cut it off and replace the cat or gut the cat and remove the honeycomb. Any help would be appreciated on what to do. Would it be advisable to replace the messed up cat with the Magnaflow cat? or I have to replace both? ??

Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
I hope someone can help me out on this. My passenger side cat is making a clicking sound when revving the engine or driving. The honeycomb inside I'm guessing is flapping around in there. Now the problem is, whomever had this STR 03' welding the cat to the pipe. Now I'm going to have to cut it off and replace the cat or gut the cat and remove the honeycomb. Any help would be appreciated on what to do. Would it be advisable to replace the messed up cat with the Magnaflow cat? or I have to replace both? ??
I'm pretty sure someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the cat is supposed to be welded to the pipe. Its connected at the manifold (header) and then its the pipe into the cat which is welded in and then a pipe to the flange at the pipe that continues to the resonators. You are gonna have to cut out the bad cat and weld in a new one. I would replace both cause you wouldnt really want one side to flow better then the other that just seems like it would cause some type of trouble.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

The bolt up to the manifold.....Best bet is to replace both....Why only can the oil and not the filter....get it?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM

How many posts does it take to be able to see photos on this site? I would love to see a pic of the underside of the STR, to have an idea of what I am getting myself into with the exhaust swap...those pics have gotta be around, given all the work that y'all have done already.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Also, I forgot to ask...is there anything I need to know about the swap (e.g. areas of difficulty, noncompatibility with hanger locations etc.)?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
How many posts does it take to be able to see photos on this site? I would love to see a pic of the underside of the STR, to have an idea of what I am getting myself into with the exhaust swap...those pics have gotta be around, given all the work that y'all have done already.
I believe its 10 posts so you are almost there. I actually dont think I've seen a complete undercarriage pic of an STR. You may find one though. I can try and get you one if you cant anything just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Or, if somebody who has done this type of swap could tell me how many pipe segments I will need, that would work as well. I'm not referring to the obvious segments (x-pipe, mufflers, etc.), but to those smaller segments that are needed to connect components. I believe I will be deleting the resonators...so I am also wondering how long that portion is.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
Or, if somebody who has done this type of swap could tell me how many pipe segments I will need, that would work as well. I'm not referring to the obvious segments (x-pipe, mufflers, etc.), but to those smaller segments that are needed to connect components. I believe I will be deleting the resonators...so I am also wondering how long that portion is.
This is a cat-back system from Blueflame. It will kinda show you what you are working with. Where that single muffler is with 2 pipes going in and 2 going out would be where the resonator is. Hope this helps some.
http://eurotoysltd.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1350

Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

pretty straight set up....no crazy bends....run the pipes just like the stock but bigger, and less mufflers/resonators....

I was gonna take a pic of mine yesterday when I changed the oil, but I was lazy....

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default Tro on da Magnaflow hi-flow cats

Jag79, for g-d sakes would ya please throw on Magnaflow's hi-flow cats, 2 1/2" pipe, x-pipe, and mufflers already!? You STR guys have no idea of what fun and power yer missing. Yes, your cats are on the way out and stock and aftermarket cats are welded on.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

It took you a while to finally do it, after you emailed me countless times haha

Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
This is a cat-back system from Blueflame. It will kinda show you what you are working with. Where that single muffler is with 2 pipes going in and 2 going out would be where the resonator is. Hope this helps some.
http://eurotoysltd.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1350
That photo gives me a decent idea, conceptually, of what I am facing...but I am definitely most concerned with the connector pieces--for example, between the x-pipe and the mufflers. Are these (the connecting pieces) universal pipes w/ commonly-found shapes that I should be able to walk up to any standard exhaust shop and purchase on-site? Or, can these shops bend and cut pipe on-site to fit various applications?

Also wondering now if I will have to buy hangers, to weld on to these universal pipes (if they are in fact universal).

Quick Reply: to those w/ Magnaflow hi-flow cats...