S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to those w/ Magnaflow hi-flow cats...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Phil, go for the Magnaflow "spun" cats found on Summitt Racing, prob the best price.
I've already ordered those; jag79 needs to know, though, that a part number is a part number, and all vendors that have Magnaflow parts will use the same part number. With this, he can order part #59926 (spun, metallic substrate, 2.5" inlet/outlet, etc.) from whoever is cheapest...in this case, Wholesale Magnaflow.

I got the original part number from Summit, then simply shopped for the best price...

EDIT: actually, there were one or two vendors even cheaper than Wholesale Magnaflow, but they charged for shipping. If you live close enough to one to pick stuff up, each cat would be priced in the high $80s

Last edited by Phil_Deeznuutz; 09-12-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Phil, go for the Magnaflow "spun" cats found on Summitt Racing, prob the best price. I'll call Summitt tomorrow to ask them to draw up my order then forward to you. The freekin cats are absolutely the most clogged item on an STR's exahaust chain. Hi-flow cats will let her breath like there's no tomorrow.
Hey bro can you forward me your order also I too am interested in changing out my cats.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
I've already ordered those; jag79 needs to know, though, that a part number is a part number, and all vendors that have Magnaflow parts will use the same part number. With this, he can order part #59926 (spun, metallic substrate, 2.5" inlet/outlet, etc.) from whoever is cheapest...in this case, Wholesale Magnaflow.

I got the original part number from Summit, then simply shopped for the best price...

EDIT: actually, there were one or two vendors even cheaper than Wholesale Magnaflow, but they charged for shipping. If you live close enough to one to pick stuff up, each cat would be priced in the high $80s
Thanks Phil!! , I appreciate the help and the link amigo. Thanks for looking out for me. Just to clarify how these cats work, the ones you just ordered replaces your oem cats, right? They look small from the pics guess I'm just confused

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM

Ahh...I should have mentioned this before. These cats are replacing my OEM cats, but are not necessarily OEM replacements (if that makes sense). I am ripping my entire exhaust system out and building custom.

I believe that the OEM cat is a single unit with 2 2.25" inlet/outlet pipes on each side (front/back). The spun metallic substrate cats we are all talking about have single 2.5" inlet/outlet pipes. Considering this, they look small because they are each (in effect) 1/2 of the OEM cat; what I mean is that you will need one for each pipe, whereas the single OEM cat had both pipes going into it.

I am not positive that the stock cat is 2.25". If the OEM cat does in fact have 2.25" inlet/outlet pipes, and you intend to keep the rest of your exhaust system stock, you might be better served by getting part # 59925 here http://www.wholesalemagnaflow.com/in...ducts_id=20737 for $96.29 ($104.66 at Summitt). You will need 2.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I believe that the OEM cat is a single unit with 2 2.25" inlet/outlet pipes on each side (front/back). The spun metallic substrate cats we are all talking about have single 2.5" inlet/outlet pipes. Considering this, they look small because they are each (in effect) 1/2 of the OEM cat; what I mean is that you will need one for each pipe, whereas the single OEM cat had both pipes going into it.
Er... the stock car has 2 cats - one per bank. Are you saying you think it only has one?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM

no, I meant that those 2 cats are enveloped in one heat shield, making it appear to be one piece.

However, after looking at some photos, it is obvious I was looking at the stock resonator and describing that. The stock cats locations are way too far apart to be covered by one heat shield.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Phil, the Magnaflows are approx. the same length as stock. Stock has 2.25" inlet and outlets vs 2 1/2 for the Magnaflows. I'm elated to know you'll swap in a full exhaust mod. You won't by any means be disappointed. Wether you use dual resonators before the mufflers is a matter of sound preference. Just be sure you use a pre-muffler (acting as a resonator) that is flow through and has a 2 1/2" core (Walker Dynomax glass-packed tube mufflers). When nearing the end of the exhaust mod call Chris at Mina Galleries for a 1.5 pulley and Mike of EuroToys for a low temp. thermostat. Your STR will then be a "Cat Awokened". After these mods you'll be deciding on either a EuroToys ECU tune ($995 or a dyno-tune ($$$).

Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh...I should have mentioned this before. These cats are replacing my OEM cats, but are not necessarily OEM replacements (if that makes sense). I am ripping my entire exhaust system out and building custom.

I am not positive that the stock cat is 2.25". If the OEM cat does in fact have 2.25" inlet/outlet pipes, and you intend to keep the rest of your exhaust system stock, you might be better served by getting part # 59925 here http://www.wholesalemagnaflow.com/in...ducts_id=20737 for $96.29 ($104.66 at Summitt). You will need 2.
Hey PHil! I spoke to John over at Wholesale Magnaflow the link you sent me. I was just concerned about the compatibility issue using the "Spun" Hi flow CAt. He said I might get the "Check Engine light" if I use the Spun type, how true is that? Is there a possibility in running into the Check Engine light after installing the Spun type catS? By the way the person who had my car before, he ran straight pipes all the way to the CAts(Oem), but the mufflers and exhaust tips (4") are aftermarket. So I guess I should be ok using the part#59926 you mentioned earlier that you will be using also. ONly thing I 'm worried about is getting the Engine light coming on after installing.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jag79
...I might get the "Check Engine light" if I use the Spun type, how true is that?
Apparently the guys already running these have not had any issues...but of course I have not installed mine yet (just received them about an hour ago).

Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Jag79 and Phil, with hi-flow cats you both will not by anyones imagination encounter a check engine light (CEL), etc. Who ever fear-mongered you into this thought pattern doesn't know what he's talking about. If you don't install both pre and post cat O2 sensors you will then encounter a CEL, period! Now get those Magnaflow "spun" hi-flow cats on...STAT! It's kind of getting lonely for me and Riski knowing we're the only STR guys with all this power and no one to share the glory with. My g-d...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Cool

Jag79 and Phil, with hi-flow cats you both will not by anyones imagination encounter a check engine light (CEL), etc. Who ever fear-mongered you into this thought pattern doesn't know what he's talking about. If you don't install both pre and post cat O2 sensors you will then encounter a CEL, period! Now get those Magnaflow "spun" hi-flow cats on...STAT! It's kind of getting lonely for me and Riski knowing we're the only STR guys with all this power and no one to share the glory with. My g-d...
Lolzz... So basically what you are saying is, it's just plug and play long as my u2 sensors are installed as they should already.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 PM

No fear here; it is somewhat difficult to install them when I have only had them in the house for about 7 hrs now...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Awesome, both of you! Yes, both up and down stream O2 sensors are plug and play, i.e. Use stock O2 sensors and there's enough wire to move them around. Phil, after a full exhaust mod you and jag79 def. will have "tight jeans in the front". LOL! "Trow" in a K&N air filter, 1.5 pulley, and low temp. thermostat (No! you will not recieve a CEL with this either) and...ZOOM! I'm acheing for either an ECU or dyno-tune. Chris of Lomotion Performance (Poughkeepsie, NY) called me again yesterday. He invited me to his shop (you'll go nuts if you saw this place) to discuss tuning STR's. He travels the country tuning all sorts of metal. I'll keep yas updated. With a proper ECU or dyno-tune we come ever closer to the 500 hp mark.

Last edited by bfsgross; 09-14-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! Awesome, both of you! Yes, both up and down stream O2 sensors are plug and play, i.e. Use stock O2 sensors and there's enough wire to move them around. Phil, after a full exhaust mod you and jag79 def. will have "tight jeans in the front". LOL! "Trow" in a K&N air filter, 1.5 pulley, and low temp. thermostat (No! you will not recieve a CEL with this either) and...ZOOM! I'm acheing for either an ECU or dyno-tune. Chris of Lomotion Performance (Poughkeepsie, NY) called me again yesterday. He invited me to his shop (you'll go nuts if you saw this place) to discuss tuning STR's. He travels the country tuning all sorts of metal. I'll keep yas updated. With a proper ECU or dyno-tune we come ever closer to the 500 hp mark.
I love your enthusiasm but note that no amount of tuning will get you to the 500 mark.....much intake (take this to mean heads, supercharger) and exhaust will be necessary.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM

With HP in mind, why didn't you go with a pulley producing more HP? I know supercharger whine is a concern for some, but with your focus on HP I figure it shouldn't matter...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Cool

Hey bro sorry if I sound dumb asking this question but since I'm just swapping out my oem cats for the magna-flow spun cats, I shouldn't have to mess around with o2 sensors right? All that will have to be done is refitting, wielding etc.. At the muffler shop I'm assuming

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Enthusiast, agreed, likely a different supercharger set up, etc. to attain 500 hp. This is why I wrote "...ever closer to the 500 hp mark" instead of "We will attain 500 hp with what we got". What we may have in the near future is a twin screw set up worth 100 hp on its own, requiring a full exhaust mod but not head work, etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

jag79, yes all you need is a decent pipe bender/welder. The stock O2's and their wire are long enough to move around.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

jag79, yes all you need is a decent pipe bender/welder. The stock O2's and their wire are long enough to move around.
Thanks to you and Phil for all your help, I should be getting my spun cats by next week, still searching around locally for a reliable exhaust installer. Did any of you Guys tried meineke? HEard a lot good reviews about them, prices are fairly reasonable.
Speaking of prices, how much you figure I would get charged for just swapping out my old cats for new ones?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a good relationship with my meineke guy, each one is going to be different. Your going to have to ask around..

Let us all know if you can tell a performance difference!

Quick Reply: to those w/ Magnaflow hi-flow cats...