S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Body Codes

Can anyone give me the codes and their definitions for throttle body issues?
My TB has been replaced twice and now my car is in limp mode with the following error messages:
1. Parkbrake Fault 2. DSC Not Available 3. Engine Systems Fault
My situation is similar to the follow thread ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...arkbrake+fault ) but that thread kinda got off track towards the end without any real input.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

With those faults.... why ask for TB codes?

I think you'd have to hunt for them in JTIS, they'll be in at least 2 places (generic and non-generic).

Er... JTIS doesn't cover yor car so you can wing it with JTIS or get on jag's GTR / TOPIx. The non-generic (P1) codes will not generally be the same as other jags (or other car makers).

Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM

While reading the other thread, it looked like the "Engine Systems Fault" kept pointing to the TB.

I'm going to buy a new autoscanner today and I'm wondering if anyone has already compiled a list of the TB codes and their definitions. Hopefully I can save time by not having to wait on the JTIS cd. (My car's stuck at my mother-in-laws house)

I'm thinking that the "Parkbrake" and "DSC NA" errors have to do with a recall that was mentioned in a couple of other threads I've read.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Remember that these issues are sometimes caused by a dying battery. Is yours still the factory original? If so, it may be your culprit....

Also, is it raining in your neck of the woods or did you just wash your car? If so, perhaps it is indeed your throttle body. But after two replacements already, I'd like to think that you've solved that problem....

Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Hey Jon, the battery is less than a year old. I did wash the car a few days before things started going crazy. I drove it the entire next day without any problems. The next day I barely made it home and left the car in the garage. I went out yesterday and started it up and everything was fine except the check engine light was on.

I decided this morning to drop my wife off at her moms house and then I'd go by AutoZone and have them check the codes. When I went to get in, the check engine light was off and we made it to our destination without any problems at all. Then I left my mom-in-laws and hadn't gone a mile before the car went crazy again and went into limp mode. I turned around and drove back to the house.

So confusing and frustrating.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

More likely water in the trunk than TB

Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
More likely water in the trunk than TB
jagv8- besides the battery location, where else do I need to look for water? Are the sensors and things hidden behind any panels? The only one I know to look at is where my Nav and CD changer is.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Default Update

Well, I went to work on the car and the 1st thing I looked for was water in the trunk. There wasn't a speck of water in the truck. I also check the battery connections to make sure they were good and everything was OK.

I got into the car and turned on the ignition switch. The check engine light was on but all the other error/fault messages, and the amber warning lights were off. I had my wife follow me back to the house and didn't experience any major issues along the way. The check engine light stayed on the entire time and I could feel that the car has a lot of throttle hesitation.

I'm still looking for suggestions.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Water in trunk is a common issue, you'll find plenty of posts about it. You'd have found wet/damp/water under the spare by the battery if you had it, I reckon.

The light will go out after a few drives - if the cause has gone. But the codes remain a lot longer.

Even a very cheap $15-20 elm327 will read the codes that put on the MIL.

If you don't want to read them, disconnecting the battery will clear them. You could try that to see if they come back. The car will drive a bit poorly while it relearns the engine's minutiae.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
My TB has been replaced twice and now my car is in limp mode with the following error messages:
My situation is similar to the follow thread ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...arkbrake+fault ) but that thread kinda got off track towards the end without any real input.
I did read the post you were referring to and I do think it is strange to see a Parking Brake Fault related to the throttle Body. I am new to the S-Type but not to the xk8, we have a 99. It is not uncommon to experience a Fail Safe situation in a 1999 – 2001 xk & xj. Jaguar has a TSB 303-58 that addresses this situation and in the models mentioned you will lose power as you are cruising along it just shuts down. You can read my information on this @ http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepTB.htm Recently my wife and I were stopped in traffic for an extended period of time when my engine stalled. Pushed the Jaguar to the side of the road and attempted to start it 2 – 3 times and it did not respond. Opened the hood shook the TB plug and I was on the road again for another 150mi. When I got to my destination I purchased CRC Di-electric spray and contact cleaner. Removed the plug and sprayed it with the cleaner then the dielectric spray and drove it for another I think 500mi without a problem. Now is this your problem? Not sure but I can tell you this, I will do the same to any and every plug I have to deal with on both cars. I hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like people are mixing up what happened (limp mode) with other issues (damp, bad battery etc). And with some (few) who have had TB (throttle body) issues.

Many things can cause limp home mode (including TB issues).

It's quite common with damp that several codes and error messages will appear. But that doesn't mean a TB will affect the parking brake or vice versa.

Another problem reported more than once is damaged wiring, sometimes chafed other times corroded. Some near rear top of engine, others in the wheel arches or behind the front bumper.

Bad battery is probably the commonest of all.

Trying to unpick the mess is probably not worthwhile but at the same time thinking a park brake fault is the TB is not a good bet.

Reading the codes would seem like the way to go

Last edited by JagV8; 08-22-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well whatever it is I would like to know what you find. As a new owner of an S-Type I know I will be dealing with the same problems sooner or later.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member

+1

But also keep in mind that the car was very substantially redesigned in 2002.5MY and many issues are unique to the original or the redesign cars.

E.g. they use different gearboxes, different computers (PCM & TCM), heck different networks between the modules (no CAN pre-redesign), different suspension, different O2 sensors, even the window regulators changed LOL

Last edited by JagV8; 08-23-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Default Update

My car is throwing the P2135 error code. Basically saying there is a problem with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). The car has been driving normal for the last two days without any problems and without the check engine light on.

If water is to blame, how to I get to the sensor to seal it up? It seems to be in a hard place to get to.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

You said you had:

Only the last could be due to P2135, I'd think! Leaves the others as a puzzle.

You've had the J004 reflash done?

Hella make the crappy headlights, I wonder if they also make the TB?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure what #1 and #2 had to do with #3, but it's the same thing that happened to Bull27.

I'm pretty sure the reflash was done last year when I was having so many transmission problems (extreme lurching and surging).

I'm going to keep driving the car for now and see if everything goes crazy again. I just hope I'm close to home if it does.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
Nothing to help with the codes , but I had the same problem with 1. Parkbrake Fault 2. DSC Not Available 3. Engine Systems Fault. My local mechanic replaced 2 relays ( front of car on the passengers side under hood ) . These relays control functions of the throttle body.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

BUMP

The P2135 sounds like JTB00022:

JTB00022 Jan 2007 Vehicle goes into limp-home mode with DTC P2135 stored

Needs the dealer to reflash the PCM (aka ECM).