S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body (how quickly can i get a resonse, lol)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body (how quickly can i get a resonse, lol)

wow. dont know where to start, but long story short my 04 STR went into limp mode on the freeway yesterday. after SLOOOWLY pulling onto the shoulder, i searched for the problem. and its the throttle body (thanks to the previous threads!)
My mechanic (non jag) ran the codes and P0121 & P1111 came up. My question is if my shop replaces the throttle body does it have to be SYNC'd w/ the car? the shop said that once its replaced it will need to linked up via software which he cant do. I spoke w/ the dealership and they want $900 for the part + labor. Could i get some clarification what has to be done once the throttle body is replaced?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

In the FAQs is a PDF of the codes. You could just have some damp or a bad bit of wire. I wouldn't swap a TB at this stage!! Damp is the #1 likely problem and if it's getting in the usual place will quite likely affect a new TB sooner or later.

Look up P1111, well worth your time.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM

thanks for the info, ill have my mechanic take a look at it. Sorry i cant open the PDF file (work server blocks it)

Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Don't rush to swap the TB, but if you do decide to I understand you must use an identical part but that it does NOT need programming into the car. Just plug in. You might get one from a wrecker or a reman. If there are gaskets (and I bet there are), plan to change them as you cannot have even the tiniest of leaks.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Good advice. I would add to search this forum for getting your TB rebuilt. Much cheaper and it insures that you have the correct part.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Justwant2drive,

Was it raining hard or had it been raining recently?

Did you wash your car recently?

Our throttle bodies are notorious for water sensitivity. Think back to whether or not you went through any moisture leading up to the event.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM

its been puring in the bay area.....so if the throttle body has been effected by the rain, now what????

Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by justwant2drive
its been puring in the bay area.....so if the throttle body has been effected by the rain, now what????
Take ALL the connectors off the throttle body, blow them out with compressed air if you can. Spray a bit (yes a bit) of WD-40 on both sides, then put the connectors back on. Spray some WD-40 on the outside of the reconnected connectors. Clear the codes and start the car. 90% chance it's better.

These throttle body connectors are notorious for allowing moisture to get in them, causing all sort of fun reactions by the ECM, including your codes, and limp home mode.

Your car isn't the first, nor will it be the last.

Take care,

George

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I had mine rebuilt for less than $300 and that includes a lifetime warranty. You can ship it to them and get it back within a week. Mine has been flawless since I got it back and you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

Here is a thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...+throttle+body

Current auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Thanks Pushin_Tin!! That's exactly what I wanted to say!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 PM

I received my car back 2 weeks ago. It wasn't a jag mechanic, but he removed the throttle body checked it out, was dry, connections were good, etc. Well I when I picked up my car the check engine light was no longer on. The car has been running good until yesterday when it went into safe mode twice. Any other option than dropping hella cash at the dealer?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 PM

I received my car back 2 weeks ago. It wasn't a jag mechanic, but he removed the throttle body checked it out, was dry, connections were good, etc. Well I when I picked up my car the check engine light was no longer on. The car has been running good until yesterday when it went into safe mode twice. Any other option than dropping hella cash at the dealer?

Did you not read my post? $300 to rebuild plus the cost of the R&R at your mechanic.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 PM

pushing tin, im using the spot in your previous thread to get my throttle body repaired. So that place was tellin me that i didnt need to spend $400 (what i was quoted by a few spots) to have them take out the TB and its pretty easy and straight forward. the sent me the instructions on how the take it out....but i have no idea where its located. Ive never messed with anything under the hood (stereo only) and i have no idea how to take it out. if ANYONE could hook me up with a diagram or pics that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Search for the throttle body "cleaning" threads. There are several that are completely illustrated. That will get you as far as exposing and accessing the throttle body. From there, your instructions can take over.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Sorry I can't help you, I had the mechanic remove it and send it off since it was there for two weeks having a bunch of other stuff done as well. I don't think he charged anywhere near $400 to R&R it though. I'm at work but I'll pull out the work order and take a look when I get home. I'm sure some of the others will chime in with advice too.

pushing tin, im using the spot in your previous thread to get my throttle body repaired. So that place was tellin me that i didnt need to spend $400 (what i was quoted by a few spots) to have them take out the TB and its pretty easy and straight forward. the sent me the instructions on how the take it out....but i have no idea where its located. Ive never messed with anything under the hood (stereo only) and i have no idea how to take it out. if ANYONE could hook me up with a diagram or pics that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The P0121 error is most likely a TPS sensor issue, or connector/cabling one. You might just as well buy a secondhand unit on Ebay (even from another model, or even another car like an xtype 3.0 as I think that one has the same) and swap the TPS unit. Just check the number on the denso TPS unit and ask the seller if it is the same.

Here is just an example, but I am sure you can get them cheap anywhere:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Jaguar-X-type-2-5...item2a0e14dab9

Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems this problem happens mostly to str's, Am I correct or does it affect all s types?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
The P0121 error is most likely a TPS sensor issue, or connector/cabling one. You might just as well buy a secondhand unit on Ebay (even from another model, or even another car like an xtype 3.0 as I think that one has the same) and swap the TPS unit. Just check the number on the denso TPS unit and ask the seller if it is the same.

Here is just an example, but I am sure you can get them cheap anywhere:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Jaguar-X-type-2-5...item2a0e14dab9
From my reader:
p0121 = TP sensor range/performance. Tp sensor to ECM wiring : open circuit high resistance OR short circuit high voltage.

Diagnosis. Ignition in ON position. Press accelerator SLOWLY to floor counting to 5. SLOWLY let off counting to 5..repeat 3 times

turn car over.

code p1111...all DTC's cleared All engine management OBD monitor drive cycles are completed

Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 PM

i recieved the rebuilt throttle body last week, my mechanic threw it back on and ive been driving my car for the last 2 days. Well fantastic news it went into safe mode again!!!! thoughts?

Quick Reply: throttle body (how quickly can i get a resonse, lol)