S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping sound when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Thumping sound when turning right

That's honestly the best way I can describe it. When I turn right I can hear, and to a point feel, a thumping from the drivers side front wheel. It's not a grinding sound like a bad wheel bearing, I've also jacked the car up and tried to feel any play in the wheel itself and it feels solid. While I was under there I looked at the bushings and they looked ok, but it was a pretty cursory inspection. The rotors are pretty new, from this year as well as the pads. I'm stumped.

I do know that I need an alignment, I just replaced my tires a couple months ago and the inside edges on the front were worn badly. Could an alignment really fix that?

Thanks a lot! I tried to include any bit of information I have thus far.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
...I do know that I need an alignment, I just replaced my tires a couple months ago and the inside edges on the front were worn badly. Could an alignment really fix that?...
Unless you have aftermarket wheels that cause the tyre to strike the bodywork or suspension, it may be best to return to the tyre shop and have them inspect the tyre for any physical problems such as a separated or deformed tread.

Was the vehicle aligned when the new tyres were purchased?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM

I have not had an alignment done yet.

I can't seem to find anywhere that the wheel is making contact with the body or suspension, the tires do not show any where from hitting anything either.

FWIW, the "sound" pre-dates getting new tires if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the help so far!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Time to check bushes, I'd start with anti roll bar

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

+1 on the anti roll bar bushes and also inspect the lower strut bush as well as they tend to perish over time.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Small update, I inspected the sway bar bushings and they both look fine and do not allow any play that I can tell. However, the outer tie rod end on the drivers side feels significantly "looser" than the passenger side, could that cause this sound?

I looked at every bushing and didn't see any worn bushings, just that loose feeling outer tie rod end.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Small update, I inspected the sway bar bushings and they both look fine and do not allow any play that I can tell. However, the outer tie rod end on the drivers side feels significantly "looser" than the passenger side, could that cause this sound?

I looked at every bushing and didn't see any worn bushings, just that loose feeling outer tie rod end.
I know it's not the same thing but I have a Jeep that clunks when turning right and its due to the tie rod end on the passenger side. jack up the vehicle, lay under it, and have someone turn the wheel side to side and see if you can replicate the noise

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM

I'm thinking that's gonna be the culprit, tie rod ends.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Ok, it ended up being a bad wheel bearing. I had the mechanic look over the bushings and suspension and he came back with nothing bad to report. It makes me feel better knowing that I gave him carte blanche essentially and he still didn't take anything extra on, really honest guy.

The car drives like new again, just time for an alignment and all set!

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Ok, it ended up being a bad wheel bearing. I had the mechanic look over the bushings and suspension and he came back with nothing bad to report. It makes me feel better knowing that I gave him carte blanche essentially and he still didn't take anything extra on, really honest guy.

The car drives like new again, just time for an alignment and all set!

Thanks for all the help!
Make sure you have your alignment tech follow Brutal's alignment recommendations posted elsewhere on this Forum. Might even be a sticky, can't recall. His specs are designed to prevent inside tire wear. Search the Forum, you'll find it.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totalimmortal,

Was your problem always present (i.e. for all right hand turns) or was it only taking turns quickly under load? I have an issue with my STR in which taking turns in "spirited" fashion sometimes produces a single clunk. My indie shop took a look but was unable to recreate the issue and also unable to find anything loose in the suspension. I'm curious if I may have the same issue you had.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Make sure you have your alignment tech follow Brutal's alignment recommendations posted elsewhere on this Forum. Might even be a sticky, can't recall. His specs are designed to prevent inside tire wear. Search the Forum, you'll find it.
You know, I totally forgot till a couple days ago. It was pretty cheap maybe I'll find them and run it back up to the shop.

Originally Posted by crt_ben
totalimmortal,

Was your problem always present (i.e. for all right hand turns) or was it only taking turns quickly under load? I have an issue with my STR in which taking turns in "spirited" fashion sometimes produces a single clunk. My indie shop took a look but was unable to recreate the issue and also unable to find anything loose in the suspension. I'm curious if I may have the same issue you had.
Mine started that way and just progressed to what it became, which was an all the time thing pretty much.

The following users liked this post:
crt_ben (05-07-2014)