S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017 | 01:44 PM
|
Default Tire recommendation?

Well, bad lower control arm bushings have ruined my tires (they were Falkens, so no big loss...). After the repair is complete I will be buying new tires. Tiger Paw GTZ were recommended by the Jaguar mechanic (well regarded, non-dealership Jag shop).

Any opinions? I don't really need winter performance, but do want great wet/dry handling and - for the first time ever - I want a very quiet tire; the Jag is so quiet compared to our other cars & vans that this all of a sudden is important.

I can't afford anything more than about $125 each - especially after the various overall repairs that were done.

(I'm surprised at the dearth of tire threads in this forum - or my singular inability to find more.)

Joe

Old 08-10-2017 | 04:53 PM

I needed two tires a few months back and decided to go with Michelin Premier A/S at $155.00 each. Very highly rated and I couldn't be happier. At the time, Costco had a sale where the 4th tire was free so if they still have this going on in your area the price per tire would be in your range.

Old 08-10-2017 | 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joe Gandalf
Tiger Paw GTZ were recommended by the Jaguar mechanic (well regarded, non-dealership Jag shop).
I had a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws and was very pleased with them, especially in Oregon's wet weather. Got them from Le Mart du Wal, or WalMart as some people call it. Don't remember if they were GTZ, though.

After getting more than my money's worth from them (those aren't tread wear indicators but last chance traction bars), I replaced them with a house brand set from Les Schwab, an Oregon chain. Very pleased with them, too.

Old 08-10-2017 | 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the Michelin Premiers. I'm running them on 2 XJ's and an S-Type, couldn't be happier.

Old 08-10-2017 | 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
I replaced them with a house brand set from Les Schwab
Oops, I was less correct than usual. The tires are Mastercraft MC-440, not a house brand:

CooperMastercraft - MC 440 (T Rated)

Old 08-11-2017 | 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

I have been running a set of 235/50/R17 Continental PureContact tires on my 2005 S-Type since October 2015. Very quiet, great wet weather performance with no hydroplaning, they hold their pressures well (I run 32 to 33 psi all around) and a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty from Discount Tire. My 2015 tire research pointed to these tires as the best bang-for-the-buck option at that time....

Our Jaguars stay safely at home in the snow and ice while our Subaru goes out to play so I cannot offer specific advice for this tire in those conditions....

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:42 AM
|

Thanks for the info Dennis. I can't get any deal on the Michelins around here, and since my current repair bill is hovering around $1300 before the tire purchase, I'm gonna try the Tiger Paws.

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:49 AM
|

Hi Jon, the Continentals look like they may well be my next tire (or else the Premier A/S?). Like you, my wife will not drive the Jag in foul weather (what's the point?) so I never need winter service, and rain is an issue only on longer trips.

To all: I will report on my impression with the Tiger paws next week. We pick up the Jag today, and the tires will get installed on Monday. I'll also create a separate post about the repair issues. It might be of some interest to the folks here.

Old 08-11-2017 | 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Joe,

Do more research on those Tiger Paw tires before you decide to pull the trigger on them. Folks have complained about very short treadlife on just about every flavor of Tiger Paw tire for years now....

Old 08-13-2017 | 04:59 PM

Always been a fan of Michelin, and Toyo for trucks. For cars I have bought a lot of Yokohama, but a few years back I began buying General Altimax for regular rides. When I bought my Jag, it already had nice Altimax HPs. These were phased out for the GMax. The HPs looked better, but both worked very well. Directional tread, soft rubber, but stuck to the road great. Smooth ride too. The latest version of the GMax has changed the tread for the better. They still drive great and are about a hundred each. I am hoping they last a little longer as they do wear out quick. This is the cost for the sticky rubber. All in all, I like them and the low price means I can renew them without a lot of pain. The Yokohamas were always satisfying too.

Old 08-13-2017 | 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

I am a fan of Michelins have them on Joyces Jag and my large SUV. Just recently put the second set on Joyces Jag, not to shabby for 9 years of ownership!

Old 08-13-2017 | 08:21 PM

Michelin Pilot Super Sports get my vote. I've used them on several cars and they do everything well at a reasonable price.