S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires on S-type - Observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tires on S-type - Observations

I have a regular 2003 S-type with the 3.0L engine and 225/55/16 tires. I am currently searching for tires. I have been shocked at what the Tire Rack is charging these days. I think I can get just as good a deal from a brick and mortar tire shop. I have done a bunch of research, but am overloaded with information at the present time. I am interested in saving a bit of money on tires, but will not buy tires made in the Far-East or any other place that doesn't pay its workers. That leaves the USA, countries in Europe or maybe Brazil.

I thought I knew what characteristics were important:

Steering response
Handling (sidewall strength)
Tread depth
Noise

To get a tire that has the perfect combination of these characteristics will cost over $700.00 per set including mounting and balancing at the local Firestone dealer. It looks like i am going to need to sacrifice at least one of these characteristics.

My question is how important is tire noise in an S-type?

What are you looking for in a tire and what brands have you ended up selecting?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,844 Posts

If you want to see overpriced tires, come up to Canada. You guys in the US can buy Canadian made Michelins cheaper than we can......

Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Try England

Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What specific tires are you looking at? I've more or less settled on Continental...either the original tires (ContiProContact) or ExtremeContact DW.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM

As a second comment, I don't quite follow or agree with the logic of buying lesser quality tires to ensure that they come from a country whose economic structure you approve of.

At the risk of starting a political flame war, paying extra or accepting lower quality goods just to support a domestic industry is a short sighted and futile game. GM, Ford and Chrysler all learned a painful lesson trying to sell cars on the strength of 'buy domestic'. If a company's goods can't compete on a global scale, their time is limited. The world has changed irreversibly in this respect.

I spent my career in an industry that could count on no favours from anyone for where the goods were made. If someone somewhere else made a better product at an equal cost or an equal one at a cheaper cost we were instant toast- with nobody to blame but ourselves. That's how I made my living for over 30 years and that's how I spend my money today. I bought Korean made tires and travelled over the border to the US to have them installed because domestically made/domestically sold tires were priced out of sight.

Your choice.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Not much to say other than I too have noticed the "rack's" prices climbing. Once you add shipping and the needed cost of mounting and balancing their really isn't a price advantage like their used to be.

That said, look up a tire you are interested in and go to the "spec" tab. One neat thing they do is give you the country of origin on most sizes / brands. Interesting thing is one brand / model of tire could be built all over the place.

As for the rest...that is really a personal choice. People will give their opinions as if it's gospel and the rest of the world is wrong (hmmm, just like politics). I personally drive the "snot" out of my car so no tire lives up to it's wear rating. To be honest, I've probably had many tires that would make others happy but none in recent years have lived up to my expectation.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,842 Posts

To build on the other comments posted. I have found the sweet spot of performance/price to be Korean tires at the moment. I have had very good luck with Kumho, Nitto and Falken tires. I currently have Nexen's on my 2005 STR. They came with the car and I had never heard of them. They have been a decent tire and I would use again.

I am currently leaning towards replacement with Kumho Ecsta's. I too purchase strictly on price/performance. I don't care where it's made or who made it.
The world is flat.

I am not comfortable with Chinese tires yet but at the rate they are improving I don't think it will be too long before they rise in quality and compete better with other brands.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
What specific tires are you looking at? I've more or less settled on Continental...either the original tires (ContiProContact) or ExtremeContact DW.
I have two Eco Plus Continentals on my car right now and two Kuhmos. I'm not too happy with the Conti's and ironically, the Chinese made Kuhmo's seem okay. The Continentals have developed a vibration in them that cannot be taken out by a wheel balance.

I like Bridgestone tires (Japanese or USA models), but find them pricey.

Has anyone had experience with Goodyears?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
As a second comment, I don't quite follow or agree with the logic of buying lesser quality tires to ensure that they come from a country whose economic structure you approve of.

At the risk of starting a political flame war, paying extra or accepting lower quality goods just to support a domestic industry is a short sighted and futile game. GM, Ford and Chrysler all learned a painful lesson trying to sell cars on the strength of 'buy domestic'. If a company's goods can't compete on a global scale, their time is limited. The world has changed irreversibly in this respect.

I spent my career in an industry that could count on no favours from anyone for where the goods were made. If someone somewhere else made a better product at an equal cost or an equal one at a cheaper cost we were instant toast- with nobody to blame but ourselves. That's how I made my living for over 30 years and that's how I spend my money today. I bought Korean made tires and travelled over the border to the US to have them installed because domestically made/domestically sold tires were priced out of sight.

Your choice.
All I can say to that is that you could manufacture anything we used to make in China and sell it for the same price in the United States until no one has the money to pay that price. That is what is going on and we are reaping the fruits of what we sow.

Buying a Japenese made car during the 1980's when American cars were pure crap was very different than say Firestone, Kelly, Cooper, Goodyear or some other brand selling a tire for say $80 then moving to a factory to China or Korea and then selling it for $80.

In the former case, the industry was producing crap. In the latter case, the item wasn't necessarily crap, it was just "cheaper" to make it overseas. Without getting too far off topic, competing with cheap labor in countries that oppress citizens in one way or another is not competition, it's called labor arbitrage.

Anyway, my original question was what type of tire did you end up selecting and how is it performing so far? What characteristics in a tire do you look far? I have gotten some good answers so far. Keep them coming.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,842 Posts

HTML Code:
 the Chinese made Kuhmo's seem okay.
As I posted above. Kumho is Korean.

http://www.kumhousa.com/About_History.aspx

Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
HTML Code:
 the Chinese made Kuhmo's seem okay.
As I posted above. Kumho is Korean.

http://www.kumhousa.com/About_History.aspx
They are a Korean name brand. Mine are made in China.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is one Kumho model...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+ASX (click on the Specs tab)

Made in Korea and China depending on size.

Here is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS that's been tossed around here....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS (click on the Specs tab)

These are made in the US, Brazil, France, Mexico, and Germany plus more...

Like I've said... Depending on the brand, model, and size..tires are made all over the place...

Thats just two... Search on the specs of the brand you (collective) are thinking about and the results may suprise you..

Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

I've been researching tires for our 2005 S-Type 3.0 for nearly a year now. I'll probably have to pull the trigger on a new set by December or January as the cheap Korean Hankooks that came new on it when I purchased the car in December 2008 are now measuring just over 3/32 of remaining tread as they approach 33,000 miles.

My desired tire requirements are somewhat similar to yours. Our S-Type is a highway cruiser, not a race car, so high-speed performance is not crucial. I want long treadlife, good wet weather traction, and minimal noise (there will always be increased noise as the tire wears, regardless of make or cost). I am not willing to spend a fortune on new rubber, like you. I will stay with the recommended 235/50/R17 tire size. A good treadwear warranty is a must for me.

Topping my list of choices for most of 2010 has been the Dunlop SP Sport Signature. The tire has been around for a number of years, it gets solid reviews, it carries a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty, and the last time I asked my local Discount Tire store for a quote on these tires (mid-July), it was about $575 out-the-door. I still think these tires will give me the most bang-for-the-buck.

Second on my list of choices is the Yokohama Avid EnVigor. It carries a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty, it gets rave reviews from many sources right now, but the tire is so new that I have been unable to get enough data to make accurate comparisons. My local Discount Tire store quoted me $725 out-the-door in mid-July. I like what I've learned, but I'm going to let others guinea-pig this tire for a couple of years before I'm willing to consider buying it.

Third on my list of choices is the Continental DWS. Solid reviews, but just a 50,000-mile treadwear warranty and a number of complaints about the sidewalls being too soft for vehicles in the weight class that our S-Types reside in. My local Discount Tire store quoted me $700 out-the-door in early February. I won't buy this tire because of the sidewall issue.

For the last couple of years, I've found that my relationship at my local Discount Tire store always beats Tire Rack. I work with the manager only, and he always gets well under Tire Rack's prices and always stands by his product and services. Unless that changes or he moves on, I can't see myself ever ordering from Tire Rack again.

So unless something significantly changes in the next three months, I see our S-Type wearing a new set of Dunlops come January.

Keep doing your research and let us know how your decision pans out. Buying new tires is always a balancing act between getting the performance and longevity that you want without having to spend a small fortune to do so. Good luck....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I buy a lot of tires since i buy and sell cars.

Id say the best deal (at least for tire rack) are the Kumho SPT, since you live in FL do yourself a favor and get summer tires over all season. They handle better, ride better, and have less noise.

I have these on our personal 7-Series and they proved better then the Continental SC3s we had on the car as the 2nd set (horrible tires at any price and tire rack sucked at providing ones without defect and wouldnt stand behind the product they sold). The Kumhos are also 90% as good as the Michelin PS2s that were factory ordered on the car and that most people consider the benchmark for the best tires made.

With that said I tried the Sumitomo summer tires when i Reequipped my StypeR with the exception of a faulty one that resulted in a blow out when less then 2 weeks old (once again tire rack sucks at customer service) they have been great.

1 lesson i can promise tire warranties are horrible, dont plan for them to work in anyway or through any of the mail order companies, they go wrong...you will be paying for a new one.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
I have a regular 2003 S-type with the 3.0L engine and 225/55/16 tires. I am currently searching for tires. I have been shocked at what the Tire Rack is charging these days. I think I can get just as good a deal from a brick and mortar tire shop. I have done a bunch of research, but am overloaded with information at the present time. I am interested in saving a bit of money on tires, but will not buy tires made in the Far-East or any other place that doesn't pay its workers. That leaves the USA, countries in Europe or maybe Brazil.

I thought I knew what characteristics were important:

Steering response
Handling (sidewall strength)
Tread depth
Noise

To get a tire that has the perfect combination of these characteristics will cost over $700.00 per set including mounting and balancing at the local Firestone dealer. It looks like i am going to need to sacrifice at least one of these characteristics.

My question is how important is tire noise in an S-type?

What are you looking for in a tire and what brands have you ended up selecting?
Well floridajag, My 01' s-type came with pirelli pzero and were 225/55/17 and lets say it was the best tires I have had, changed them for falkens and they were ok, Continental tires are very good and low road noise.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's the monthly TireRack summary.
Continental Tire ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

Since the beginning of the year, Continental's ExtremeContact DWS has remained the number one tire in Ultra High Performance All-Season. Its DWS (for Dry, Wet & Snow) design is successfully earning it superior rankings in those performance categories.

The color coding and the headings didn't come through. Summarizing: They were ranked first in their category with 2,452,743 reported miles and 736 survey responses. All scores are from 1 to 10 with 10 the best. Scores were clustered around 8.5 with "Ice Traction" the lowest at 7.8 and "Wet traction" and "Hydroplaning" at 9.1 and 9.2 respectively. Treadwear was 9.0.

Surveys Submitted: 736

Would You Buy This Tire Again? Most said "Probably" (Average of 8.5 out of 10)

Tire's Rank In Its Category? 1 out of 20 tires (Average score of 8.6 vs best tire in category score of 8.6)

Top 3 Tires in Ultra High Performance All-Season

1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS: Average score of 8.6
2. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus: Average score of 8.2
3. Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position: Average score of 8.2

Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running the BFG G-Force TA's on my 2000 S-Type, and on previous cars. Discount tires lists them at $123, out here in Las Vegas the brutal heat of summer, and the slippery roads when it does rain hasn't affected them too much. My last set went 40,000 miles on a 2002 super charged bonneville ssei. And BFG manufactures 85% of their tires in the US.

Last edited by desertdad; 10-12-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Whatever tyre you get can I recommend you have them filled with nitrogen. i have with mine and they have remained at the same tyre pressure for the whole time I have had them. They are checked every 6 months for free. The wear has been slower than any other tyre/car I have ever had and the wear is perfectly even.

I have three different makes of tyre on the car (it came that way, the tread patterns are very similar and sizes etc exactly the same) and none have been any worse/better than the other, so the advantages are consistent. That is why

Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM

Not to start a fight, but the nitrogen thing has pretty well been dismissed as a scam and just bad science.

The tires on all my cars and other toys are filled with 78% nitrogen (air) and never need a top up more than every six months also.

If it's a free service, no harm done.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had good results with Hankook tires on my X type in the past. The are not fantastic but do everything pretty well for a good price. I've used the Ventus and Icebear W300's.

Before i got rid of my X I installed a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's. I was very happy with them, and I did keep them for future installation on my SAAB. They are quiet, handle very well in the dry and wet, and reasonably priced. I had 225/45/17's and paid about $120 each through Tiremonkey.com (they shipped to a local installer for free).

I currently have Continental Extreme Contacts on my SAAB, a good "all season" tire. I give up some noise and ride quality attributes in favor of a little better snow/ice traction. Since you are in Florida I think you could probably do better.

My STR has some cheap Yoko's on it now from the prior owner. They will be coming off soon.

Quick Reply: Tires on S-type - Observations