S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's the day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Today's the day!

Today's the day! I can't stand it any longer - I'm pulling my Jag out of winter storage today. I've cross referenced the weather network, checked with an astrologer, read some tea leaves , had my cards read, and it doesn't look like there's any more snow in our future here.

I can't wait! Now.......please start, please start.......

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Good luck. Let us know how the "raising the dead" process works for you....

Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Prior to plating and insuring mine on Wednesday, a week prior I changed the oil, filters, tire pressure, etc. My battery was a little weak so I yanked it to discover it was the original battery. Gone.

I also discovered when I changed the oil the transmission sleeve connector leak. Tried to order the parts from Santa Claus to discover he didn't have any. I ended up ordering all the parts including new bolts and 7 litres of Land Rover Automatic Transmission Fluid LRN13754 from the closest Jag dealer at a cost of $400.

The Land Rover fluid is exactly the same stuff as the Lifeguardfluid6 @ $14 a litre probably cheaper in the US. Got an appointment for the trans next Thursday. Drove it yesterday briefly...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Nooooooo! I'm an idiot - I forgot to call and have the insurance put back on the car! Son of a bit@$! Well I'm dead in the water until Monday. Dammit.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Nooooooo! I'm an idiot - I forgot to call and have the insurance put back on the car! Son of a bit@$! Well I'm dead in the water until Monday. Dammit.

Are you sure you can't do it online? My insurance lets me make changes online and I can print a new card too.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome back guys.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Mines open 24/7 I can call anytime and either print cards myself or have them faxed. I've called at 2 in the morning before for quotes when looking at different cars and someone was always there to answer my calls.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rob call the insurance hotline # and let them know what you are planning on doing. My bet is they will say go ahead and your covered for 3 days or so. Atleast thats how it worked with me on a couple of occassions.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Woohoo! Score! I did one even better! I recalled a buddy of mine who just switched over to Primmum Ins and saved a mittful of money. I gave them a call, and after an hour on the phone with them I cut my home and auto insurance in half! My insurance on the house and my 3 autos went from $5000 down to $2500!

Not too shabby - $2.5k for an hours work! But now I'm pissed with the insurance company I was with! I've been with them for 10+ years and they've been over billing me all along the way!

So, my beast is back in my driveway now. She roared to life right off the hop. Inflating the tires to max pressure worked wonders - no flat spots on the tires. Although my spare is out of air. The bounce sheets seemed to keep the critters away too - I still have an intact hood liner - thank God! But I do have an issue - I put plastic down underneath of her because she was stored on concrete. When I backed her out of the garage, there was oil on the plastic sheet. I checked the oil level and I'm down about an 1/8th. A quick look underneath showed some oil leaking from the front of the plastic shield. The oil on the plastic was almost completely dry, but it looked like there was enough for it to run across the plastic. I'm guessing the oil pan is towards the front? Maybe a leaky seal? Frig I hope it's an easy fix.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

On a 4.2 I'd have a look at the valve cover gaskets before the oil pan. How long was she parked for?

Take care,

George

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Woohoo! Score! I did one even better! I recalled a buddy of mine who just switched over to Primmum Ins and saved a mittful of money. I gave them a call, and after an hour on the phone with them I cut my home and auto insurance in half! My insurance on the house and my 3 autos went from $5000 down to $2500!

Not too shabby - $2.5k for an hours work! But now I'm pissed with the insurance company I was with! I've been with them for 10+ years and they've been over billing me all along the way!

So, my beast is back in my driveway now. She roared to life right off the hop. Inflating the tires to max pressure worked wonders - no flat spots on the tires. Although my spare is out of air. The bounce sheets seemed to keep the critters away too - I still have an intact hood liner - thank God! But I do have an issue - I put plastic down underneath of her because she was stored on concrete. When I backed her out of the garage, there was oil on the plastic sheet. I checked the oil level and I'm down about an 1/8th. A quick look underneath showed some oil leaking from the front of the plastic shield. The oil on the plastic was almost completely dry, but it looked like there was enough for it to run across the plastic. I'm guessing the oil pan is towards the front? Maybe a leaky seal? Frig I hope it's an easy fix.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I had her away for 5 months. Now to check the valve cover gaskets.... um, where are those? Lol. I'll do a search first before you answer

Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Rob,

Run a CLEAN paper towel along these edges of the block:
(see pic for red line)

Follow that seam all the way around.

Here's what the gaskets look like for more perspective:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3703342...=263602_309572

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Today's the day!-aj-v8valvecover.jpg  

Last edited by androulakis; 04-02-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I like your optimism...

Having lived in Ottawa, Fort Frances and Kenora, Ontario, and Montreal, I
know what you're feeling. You can always hope for a Chinook
that lasts a month or two.

When it's up on a lift, check the cooling lines leading from
the tranny to the radiator. The lines (2) are metal with a
rubber section, about six inches long, that allows the lines
to flex. They tend to weep at the metal/rubber connection. I and
others have posted regarding this problem previously. The pan
gasket should be added to the usual list of suspects. The gasket
on my 06 4.2 was changed a few years ago at about 42,000.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Could simply be the drain plug in the oil pan... Jaguar says to replace them every 2 oil changes. Just replaced mine but I bought the car weeks ago so I have no real world experience otherwise.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by American
Could simply be the drain plug in the oil pan... Jaguar says to replace them every 2 oil changes. Just replaced mine but I bought the car weeks ago so I have no real world experience otherwise.
Really? I've never seen that mentioned before. Is that in the manual?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Son of a bitch! Tried to take mine out to find that the bloody battery is dead! Will go get a new one tomorrow. Bye, bye stupid Honda, hello comfort driving!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats Rob all the way around!

A couple months ago I did the car insurance dance. We have been with Liberty Mutual for 7 years, spotless records. I called around and switched to Farmers, house, cars, boat. We saved 50% as well!

I called LM mentioned that I would be switching companies their reply " We have just restructered our policy payments. We are in the process of lowering all prefered customers and we just hadn't got to you yet". My response "your bad" click.........

Question though, "dried oil"? Did you wash down the engine bay prior to storage? Could it have been dried dirty water that ran off the motor?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Really? I've never seen that mentioned before. Is that in the manual?
I'm going to issue a caveat here... I was told this by a service writer at the dealer last week. I did not see this in print. As a Jag newbie and just purchasing the car I wasn't about to argue the point and thought it sure can't hurt so I simply said 'yes sir, I'll take one.'

My M3 had recommendations by BMW to replace the washer every 2 or 3 times.. .can't remember, so it didn't sound far fetched to me.

Last edited by American; 04-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I haven't had an opportunity yet to really get under the hood and check things out.

Rick - I hadn't washed the engine compartment prior to putting her away, but you do have a point. If whatever had leaked and run were entirely oil, it wouldn't have dried. But there was a spot that was oil - about 4 inches in diameter. What's odd though is that after driving her for two days now, my oil level hasn't changed and there isn't a single spot of oil on my driveway.

I really do need to get her up on my ramps and pull the shield off to have a look around. I'll keep everyone posted with what I find.

I took a pic of her after I pulled her out of storage - I'll get that posted here shortly too! (for Rick's inspection of course! )

Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

**ALERT** dust buuny police have woken up from their hibernation as well!

Quick Reply: Today's the day!