Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch screen unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 AM
R2e
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Touch screen unresponsive

The touch screen on my 2003 S Type with Satnav is unresponsive in all modes, satnav, audio, climate, settings, etc. I can press anything I like but nothing happens! Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if a hard reset (battery disconnect, hold positive and negative cables together for 30 seconds) will do the trick. The radio continues to work and I can operate via the steering wheel controls.

It failed for no known reason. I rarely use the touch screen but one of my passengers noticed the other day, the time was wrong (I can't see it unless I've got my reading glasses on, so I always use my watch instead), possibly from when I replaced the battery a year or so back . So I went into Menu to change it, but none of the buttons worked, then I checked Satnav, Audio and Climate, and none of the buttons worked there either. All the knobs and the steering controls still work, and I have no intention of selling the car, so it's not a major biggie. However I always regretted having the touch screen as I would have liked to put a modern DAB radio in there, perhaps this might give me the excuse to source some non touch screen parts, and an aftermarket radio. The only problem is it has the Alpine premium sound system and I'm not sure how easy it is to mate an aftermarket system with this.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

If you do a hard reset and that does not help, i would suggest taking it to a tech who can read jaguar specfic codes and go from there....oops before diagnostics, check related fuses and grounds, then diagnostics

Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Check the battery.

I had similar situation when my battery was failing. I have a 2008 4.2 and it happened a few times and then would come back. Never had the problem since a new battery. A friend had the same issue in a car he had just got after it had been sitting for a few months. In his I checked and found the water level low in the battery. We topped it up with distilled water and his problem went away. These cars hate low power batteries and it shows up in the electronics.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 AM
R2e

Originally Posted by scottjh9
If you do a hard reset and that does not help, i would suggest taking it to a tech who can read jaguar specfic codes and go from there....oops before diagnostics, check related fuses and grounds, then diagnostics
Rather stupidly I have the IDS/SDD software and a Mongoose cable, but never thought of trying that........ the joys of getting old!

Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 AM
R2e

Originally Posted by daro31
I had similar situation when my battery was failing. I have a 2008 4.2 and it happened a few times and then would come back. Never had the problem since a new battery. A friend had the same issue in a car he had just got after it had been sitting for a few months. In his I checked and found the water level low in the battery. We topped it up with distilled water and his problem went away. These cars hate low power batteries and it shows up in the electronics.
Mine had a new battery about a year ago and I'd just come off a fairly long motorway trip when I first noticed this, so I don't think it's that. No harm in making sure the battery is fully charged though I suppose.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by R2e
Rather stupidly I have the IDS/SDD software and a Mongoose cable, but never thought of trying that........ the joys of getting old!
When the screen pops up after data collection showing the modules,sdd might show something there....then you can go into symptoms and reflash modules or check the d2b network...i am.probably telling you things you already know about sdd...i have sdd also and love it....paid for itself many times over already

Last edited by scottjh9; 02-11-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 AM
R2e

A strange follow up to this post - I haven't had a chance to try the hard reset yet, and yesterday I was sitting in the car waiting for my wife, and idly started playing about with the touchscreen. I confirmed nothing was working, but finally on the settings screen touched the 'Jaguar Logo' button. Lo and behold, the Jaguar Logo appeared! This seems to have cleared the blockage, everything, audio, climate, satnav, settings, is once again working as Jaguar decreed. Very weird......... not that I'm complaining!