S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction/dynamic stability control light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Question traction/dynamic stability control light flashing

This is not a new issue for me. I have owned this 2000 S Type for five years now and this light has been flashing steadily. I have learned to ignore it but every now and then I think that I should do something about it. The car runs well and rides probably a little hard for a Jaguar but I am usually on freeways and well paved streets so it has not been a problem for me. I suspect it might run a little more smoothly if I were to get it fixed.

When I first bought the car I used to receive a warning on the speedometer strip about the DSC system malfunctioning but that has disappeared and now only the flashing wheel continues to tell me that all is not well.

I bought and used an icarsoft 1930 scanner in a few attempts to find the source of the blinking but the results were hard to read for a non-professional like myself. I THINK that there might be a problem with a rear accelerometer and I have been thinking of buying one and trying it out to see if that might be the source.

I would love to hear from anybody who has been experiencing similar problems, particularly if they found a solution.

Bob

Old 07-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 434 Posts

Using your scanner, read each module for codes and post them. Some may not seem relavant, but they are all tied in together at times. If you are not sure how to access each module, post as such and we will be happy to help

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Default previous scanner results

I wrote down the scanner actions/results the last time I used it. I will try to be as brief as possible. My notations are in italics.

MAIN MENU
Diagnose
OBDII Diagnose
DTC Library
Tool Setup
Help
I chose OBDII Diagnose. The next screen follows

MONITOR STATUS
Mil status off
DTCs in this ECU 0
Readiness completed 6
Readiness not completed 1
Readiness not supported 3
Data Stream supported 28
Ignition spark
Protocol Type PWN
Diagnostic Menu
  1. read codes
  2. erase codes
  3. I/M readiness
  4. data stream
  5. freeze frame
  6. O2 sensor test
  7. on-board monitoring
  8. evap system test
I chose "read codes" which led to
P0153
O2 sensor circuit slow
Response Bank 2 sensor

I tried all three choices and got no reaction.so I hit the escape button and went back to "erase codes" in the previous menu and got the following choices:

Hints
Clear/reset emissional related diagnostic information. Are you sure?
Not being sure I hit "escape" which led to

I/M readiness
Since DTCs were cleared
The drive cycle not supported on this vehicle
I hit the second choice about DTCs being cleared and got
All responses ok
I then hit the third choice and got
N/A

I then went back to the main menu and chose "Diagnose" which precipitated the following:
MAIN MENU
Jaguar
S type
1999-2001
Manual Select
Adaptive Damping System
Read DTCs
No DTC

I then went back to the main menu and chose "Datastream" which led to the following screen
  1. All datastream of page
  2. Number of permanent diagnostic trouble codes
  3. Brakes signal [SCP]
  4. Damper firm-battery voltage out of range
I chose number one, All datastream of page which led to
Right arrow
I hit that which led to
All datastream
Right arrow
I hit right arrow three times which led to
Right damper firm
B1676
Battery voltage out of range
U1262
SCP [J1850] communication bus fault
This is about where I gave up. These are old notes and I have probably missed bits and pieces of information or transcribed the information poorly but this is all the record I have. I can give it another go around and report back what I found but if you see any faulty steps in this story please let me know.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 434 Posts

I think the brakes signal scp is involed. Scp means serial protocol network. It is the wiring per say for communication. Go back into jaguar diagnosis mode and get to the modules again. Select abs and see if any codes are present. No need for the obd2 function as yet because the codes we want are jag specific. The battery voltage was probably a low voltage state at some point. That being said, make sure your battery is fully charged and can hold a charge

Last edited by scottjh9; 07-19-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flashing DSC light as well

I’m also trying to solve my persistent flashing DSC light in my ‘02 3.0 Sport.
I have no error codes an there is no ABS warning light.
I have an iCarsoft 930 that I’ve used to get into my ABS module live data stream. I’ve screen shot some of the relevant data points - if anyone can help make sense of them, I’d much appreciate it.
Does that DSC sensor supply voltage at 122.8V seem correct?
Steering wheel angle output seems to be a bit bonkers as well?
Can anyone tell me about Yaw rate and what that means in relation to speed sensors etc? See attached.

Ive cleaned my rear speed sensors and reluctor wheel. My front speed sensors have a different housing on the left and right. Is that normal? See pics.

When looking at all 4 wheel sensors on live data whilst the car is moving I notice that they don’t show an exact change of speed at the same time - the fronts are off by a split second. Would that be a problem?

Thanks for any input.
cheers,
Ben

Left front wheel speed sensor

Right front wheel speed sensor

Old 08-17-2021, 08:32 AM
Thumbs up DSC light still flashing

Thanks for your really valuable input, Ben. I have never been able to solve the flashing DSC light on my 2000 four litre and have basically learned to just live with it and ignore its flashing. I think the car runs a little hard because of it but I don't know because I have never known what it is like to run the car without a flashing DSC light. I considered replacing a sensor on spec but haven't got around to it. I am looking forward to the responses to your post.

I found the icarsoft information baffling--I am only a shadetree mechanic and barely living in the 21st century. I hope you get some good replies to your question.

Bob

Old 08-17-2021, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by StoicJag
Does that DSC sensor supply voltage at 122.8V seem correct?
That's an odd one. The value seems so far out of range, I'd suspect some sort of issue with the scanner interpreting the true value, versus an actual fault.

Originally Posted by StoicJag
My front speed sensors have a different housing on the left and right. Is that normal? See pics.
Could be. I recently replaced both front hubs on my '02. The new hubs (Timken brand) had a physically different sensor than the old ones (OEM?). They plugged into the vehicle harness just fine, but the sensors (and attached pigtails) were not interchangeable.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Just a note?
SCP = Standard Corporate Protocol.
it's one of several protocols used in the OBDII world.