S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Lurching after Pan leak Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tranny Lurch after Pan leak Repair (Conclusion 1/18/12)

Happy New Year and hello to all.
Since joining I haven't posted much because of the great information readily available that I find from forum members, so hats off to you (congrats)!, but I must share The following.

Car is 2005 S-type 4.2L V8/non supercharged with 100,298 miles

Anyway...I've had a transmission pan leak for over a couple of months with no problems from the tranny as far as shifting. After visiting a few shops, getting estimates, I decided on a jaguar shop in Chamblee, GA to go to because they promised same day service. I dropped car off this morning and just picked it up around 5pm this evening. As I walk in, the shop owner tells me that they experienced a fault code after refilling and checking fluid levels. After starting car owner gets in and we go for a 3/4 mile test run thru residential area. I drive real soft and slow thru residential areas so I really didn't feel anything out of ordinary and no dashboard indicators to mention any fault problems. Returned to shop and paid bill ($700.19 with tax). Took off and got on the real hwy and I noticed some things.
From stop (red light) to about 40MPH tranny shifts more aggressive than the semi soft shift I was accustomed too and all of a sudden I feel a LURCH...and then another LURCH, while slowing down. The LURCH is not every time but enough to get me a little angry after forking over hard earned cash. After looking at this service invoice I see that in addition to the $225 pan/filter there was the sealing sleeve at $10...and the kicker was 4 quarts of tranny fluid at $43.88.........yep $43.88.........looks like I got the pentosin. I was hoping that the liquid gold (jaguar brand) would be put back in, but at that price point...no gold!
So now I'm thinking that I've got a mixture of 2 fluids in the box...the old original, probably in torq converter and the fresh pentosin everywhere else and this could be causing this new issue for me (LURCH), but not new to some of you. Right now I'm already thinking about a flush and fill with the liquid gold I'll buy probably in another month but let me ask you all (the forum) this question.

Could this lurch problem come from the tranny computer "RELEARNING" how to shift AGAIN at the proper fluid level versus the computer learning to operate smoothly with a low amount of fluid in it??

Last edited by Sumrfun; 01-19-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 8,065 Likes on 4,867 Posts

When the gearbox gets low on fluid and learns to shift with the problem you need to 'CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTATIONS' after the problem is corrected.

I have done this repair several times and I drive the car to see how severe the shifts are before I use the Jaguar WDS to perform the 'clear adaptation'.

The gearbox needs to be driven a certain way after the TCM is cleared so it can 're-learn' the adaptations properly.

There are guidelines for driving the car after the reprogramming.

The newer IDS is used by the Jaguar dealer and may have even newer software.

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 01-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sumrfun (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Default Thanks motorcarman (Bob) for the info!

After car cooled awhile I went back out last night. Started car, fumbled around with my phone for about five minutes before putting car in reverse to back out drive, an that's when the yellow light came on dash (Gearbox Fault). I put car back in gear, went in and got innovia scan tool and hooked up to catch code but that tool doesn't read gearbox fault codes. So I cut car off...went back in to put scanner up...came back and started up and as I put in gear, no fault indicator this time.
Drove car for about an hour thru downtown Alanta (about 30 miles) and tranny definitely shifts aggressively thru some gears with the Lurch, during accelerations and while coming to stops. Switched over to sport mode for 1st time and drove in position (4) and the tranny didn't behave as badly like it does in (D) mode. I will take car back on Monday morning an drop off while mentioning the areas of possible cause you spoke about motorcarman (bob). Thanks an have a great weekend everyone...will let you know the outcome.

Last edited by Sumrfun; 01-14-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts

4 quarts of new ATF (regardless of whether it is Lifeguard 6, Pentosin, Castrol, or anything else) is simply not enough if your pan was indeed dropped and replaced. Most folks who have done this job in the past have reported here that anywhere from 6 to 7.5 quarts/litres were required to properly replenish the ZF in fluid again. I strongly suspect you are driving around at least 2 and possibly 3 quarts shy of what your ZF needs. That could have serious repercussions if it is not checked and corrected....

Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

I agree with Jon89. We have had many people get the transmission fluid changed and it takes between 6-8 L depending on how long you let it drain. My 2005 STR took 6 L.

You have all the classic symptoms of low fluid. So I don't think you have anything really wrong but as you know getting the fluid level correct in the 6 speed ZF transmission is not that easy. Since the shop has done it wrong the first time I would print out the factory procedure and hand it to them when you take the car back.

BUT as was already said I would not continue to drive it. Get it in ASAP!!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 6,306 Likes on 5,494 Posts

I agree too, if they only put in 4 quarts it can't be right.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks you guys for your input. I'm starting to believe the levels may be low. Just went outside to start it. After letting it warm for 2 to 3 minutes I put it in reverse and the gearbox fault (yellow indicator came on). Turned it off and started it a few more times without moving out of the driveway and the indicator came back on. Also, the gears...reverse, normal and drive are a little slower to engage after shifting. It's definitely going back.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Buy the extra fluid on your own and find a better shop or do it your self, there is a good DIY on here and alldatadiy.com . If they cant do it the correct way the first time odds are they will screw up again.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Well gang...contacted the jaguar shop to let them know what the car was doing and that I would be bringing it in around 2pm today. Called my father to see if it was possible that he could drive it to shop to drop of. Father started car and let warm for about 7 minutes, then put car in gear while I was on phone but the car would not move. So he cut it off, waited a few moments, fired it back up, put it in gear and it moved a little with a small whinning noise. He shut it off and I called shop. They dispatched a tow truck to pick up. I went by shop to chat about situation. Shop owner still insists that they could only get 4 quarts of pentosin in after the pan drop. I told them more is needed. Car will stay with them until it's corrected...will keep you posted!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM

If you have a smart phone buy a recorder app. When you go to the shop talk to the tech who worked on the car and ask him what the drain/refill procedure is, record his incorrect procedure so you have some evidence for small claims court after you sue them for destroying your transmission.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Maybe they just refilled it WITHOUT then starting the engine and keeping filling.... Yeah, do a recording.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Default The Conclusion

Thanks to all who commented during my small ordeal.
Received call yesterday around noon from the jaguar shop stating that car was ready for pickup. They mentioned that air bubbles in the oil lines of the transmission as a reason for car's poor shifting characteristics after fluid change. I only listened an would hold off on commenting until I test drove car. When my father and I arrived the owner of shop greeted us with a big smile an the keys to car. My first observation was to see how quickly tranny would go into gear selections before takeoff, an surprisingly it was much snappier that I expected. Then the road test on the real hwy. Off the bat, tranny seemed new, despite 100,414 miles...car moved with great acceleration at the slightest touch of the throttle especially 3rd gear-going into 4th. Approaching red lights, the car changed down gears very smoothly with NO LURCH at all...believe me, I was trying to find something wrong but...no fault in shifting.
After returning to shop, owner mentioned this was first s-type they serviced to ever experienced air bubbles in the lines. Reading between the lines, I took that as "the car may not have been running when fluid needed to be added"(not following ZF procedures). Anyway, he had to leave the office for a phone call. I got nosy and looked on his desk and saw an invoice from Nalley Jaguar for TCM reprogram and procedure with my car tag# on it, so this proves that the car was sent to dealer for service. When he came back he explained to me that the car needed to be driven normally, as it would learn my driving habits again. We shook hands an I was on my way. Today's drive to and from work felt really great, knowing that transmission issues have been solved for now. I just hope the life span of the tranny hasn't been shorten due to incorrect procedures...so for now I'm good.

Norri (01-20-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 PM

Sounds like the owner did the right thing sending it in to the dealer, great move on his part. I'm glad every thing turned out good, it sounded like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Great news!! Congrats.

I hope someone mentioned to keep it out of the "sport" mode for 200 miles while relearning.

Did you happen to see what Nalley charged the "Jaguar" shop?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

I am doubtful the 200 mile / Sport thing applies any more now that IDS has the clutch adaption stuff - but it's easy enough to drive it nicely for just 200 miles, so may as well.

joycesjag (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I am doubtful the 200 mile / Sport thing applies any more now that IDS has the clutch adaption stuff

Hmmm good to know!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thing is, for just 200 mile and avoiding Sport.... probably best just to do it.

Mind you, I get through 200 miles in no time LOL
and don't really need Sport....

Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

As I recall for the past 3 years, everyone that has had the reflash done, has stated that the vehicle should NOT be driven in sport mode while the transmission is relearning.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 6,306 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's because the IDS adaption stuff didn't exist so you had to drive nicely in case the box learned badly. As I said, I'd still just err on the side of caution for 200 miles and avoid Sport. The ZF 6HP26 is so picky I'd not want to do anything to give it an excuse for being a PITA.

It's like ZF shipped it when it was half-debugged and the BMW, Audi, Jag, and other owners have had to drive it to help shake out the bugs

Very odd. No huge software company (say, in the USA) would behave like that......

Quick Reply: Tranny Lurching after Pan leak Repair