Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Tranny TSB

I have the exact complaint on my 2005 s-type (43K). Has anyone used this procedure and what were the results and does anyone have other recomendations.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas--------

--------------

Your Vehicle: 2005 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L

A/T - Squawk/Chirp Noise On Shifts

NUMBER: JTB00070
VERSION 1

MODEL: S-TYPE, XJ, XK
DATE: DECEMBER 5, 2007
THIS BULLETIN, ALONG WITH JTB00071, REPLACES JTB00040 VERSION 2, DATED 31 JULY 2007.
SECTION: 307-01
Transmission Noise During Gear Shifts - Repair Procedure
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
CONDITION SUMMARY:
SQUAWK/CHIRP NOISE DURING TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFTS
Situation:
The customer may complain of a squawk noise from the automatic transmission when changing into third gear. The noise may also occur on kick-down from fourth to third and sixth to third gears. A squawk or chirp noise can also be heard when changing from third to fourth gear at 50% throttle. The likely cause is that the 'E' clutch sticks and releases when engaging and disengaging gear.
Action:
Should a customer express concern about noise during gear shifts, follow the Repair Procedure below to remedy it using the additive.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

PARTS
NOTE: The additive must only be used in the following cases:
^
To fix a transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk).
^
It must only be used once in a transmission. The exception to the "use once" rule is if the transmission has had a complete fluid change, where a second application may be used on a customer complaint of transmission squawk.
NOTE: The additive must not be used in the following circumstances:
^
It must not be used in an attempt to fix any other transmission concerns, for example noises other than squawk, harsh transmission shifts, or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) logged in the transmission control module.
^
The additive must not be used on any cars from 2006 MY onwards starting with VINS S-TYPE: N52048, XJ Range: H00332, New XK: ALL vehicles.
^
The additive must not be used more than once in a transmission apart from the exception described in the second bullet of the NOTE above.
^
Do not use the additive as a preventative measure. It must not be used unless there is transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk) present.
^
Do not add the fluid during initial oil fill when a new or remanufactured transmission is installed.
^
The effects of using the additive incorrectly as outlined above may be reduced friction of the clutches leading to poor shift quality, logged DTCs, and it can also induce flare.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]

WARRANTY
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
TRANSMISSION NOISE SERVICE
CAUTION: If the service fix label is already attached to the transmission oil pan, the Repair Procedure in this bulletin should NOT be carried out. Performing the procedure a second time can cause severe damage to the transmission.
Raise vehicle on a four-post ramp.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.jpg[/IMG]

If an S-TYPE vehicle is being repaired, remove the engine undertray. (Figure 1)
Place clean drain container under the transmission.
CAUTION: The transmission must be cold before removing the fluid drain plug. The drain plug must not be fully removed as only one liter of fluid is to be collected.
NOTE: Illustrations show XJ Range. S-TYPE and XK are similar.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image007.jpg[/IMG]

Undo and partially remove the transmission fluid drain plug. (Figure 2)
Collect one liter (33.8 oz) of fluid from the transmission into a clean measuring jug.
Reinstall and tighten the transmission fluid drain plug to 8 Nm (5.9 lbf-ft).
Ensure the selector lever is in 'P' and the handbrake is applied.
Start the engine and allow to idle.
Unscrew transmission filler plug and fill with one liter of the additive (C2C 37157) using a clean syringe.
Install filler plug.
Pull the service fix label off the bottle and apply it to the transmission oil pan near the filler plug. (Figure 3)
If an S-TYPE vehicle is being repaired, install the engine undertray. (Figure 1)
NOTE:
Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home> NAS > (select vehicle and year) / Service Information > Workshop Manuals> Bookmarks Powertrain/Automatic Transmission/Transaxle/307-01 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle "LINK Fluid Level Check"
Refer to GTR Workshop Manual, section: 307-01 and check / top-up the transmission fluid level.

Account | Vehicle | Help | Contact | Exit
© 2010 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Trademarks | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i had the same prob on my o5 39 k it is covered by jaguar as a recall they did it for free and noise was gone

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have that annoying squeak too, wondered what that was. But mine also has severely harsh shift from 1st-2nd, and if sport mode is turned off, it's harsh enough to knock a cup out of my hand. POS tranny.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Have you had the updated TCM & PCM software?
Do you know the tranny has the correct fluid & amount?
If yes to the above, maybe your car isn't running right and that's causing the bad shifts. You'd need competent OBD investigation to be sure.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had that done on my 05 S-Type at the dealer just before the warranty ran out... fixed the squawk on mine. I still wonder about the whole "sealed for life" deal on the tranny. I'll probably do a fluid change per the write-up here in the forum eventually... wonder if the squawk will return and require another additive dose to fix it.

Bob