S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?

I noticed some type of oil/fluid on the ground where I park my S-Type today and I'm not sure if It's trans fluid or engine oil, I'm the only one who parks here so It's coming from the s-type...It has an oil consistency to it...I can't describe the smell or else I would =) I know the trans is due for a new trans fluid/filter/pan change but I was hoping I could do it once I hit 90K...(currently at 88,168) but if it in deed is trans fluid then I'll have to get it done ASAP. I took some images hoping someone could tell if what it is and where it's coming from ! I believe the black particles on the napkin/finger is just dirt...or at least I hope so !

Thanks for any help !

In this photo I drew an outline of where the car sits in red and the yellow spot is where the oil is.

Attached Thumbnails Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-cebe.jpg   Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-mcog.jpg   Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-v3su.jpg   Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-cev2.jpg   Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-9oxq.jpg  

Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?-b85i.jpg  

Last edited by campaign308; 03-01-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would put the car on jack stands if possible and check underneath the vehicle. More than likely a leaking rear crank seal - leaking oil down to the trans bell housing area.

The following users liked this post:
campaign308 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

To me, judging from the last picture, it looks like the transmission electric seal. Lifeguard 6 ATF is a golden color very similar to motor oil.

campaign308 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
To me, judging from the last picture, it looks like the transmission electric seal. Lifeguard 6 ATF is a golden color very similar to motor oil.
What kind of "repair" would that take ?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by campaign308
What kind of "repair" would that take ?

Thanks

If it is the electrical sleeve leaking:

In the process of changing out the sleeve, you will have to remove the transmission pan which will drain out the trans fluid in the system as well. So, now would be a good time to change the trans fluid, pan, and the sleeve all at once.

Here is a thread with pictures of the sleeve, as well as instructions on how to change the trans fluid and electrical sleeve:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/

campaign308 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by salmanezkhanz
If it is the electrical sleeve leaking:

In the process of changing out the sleeve, you will have to remove the transmission pan which will drain out the trans fluid in the system as well. So, now would be a good time to change the trans fluid, pan, and the sleeve all at once.

Here is a thread with pictures of the sleeve, as well as instructions on how to change the trans fluid and electrical sleeve:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/

Do you happen to know what trans I have so I can order the pan/ATF and the sleeve and best place to purchase online? 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8. I was hoping to do the trans fluid change around 90K but I guess it needs it now LOL. Is it difficult doing a pan/fluid sleeve change ?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Zf 6hp26

campaign308 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM

I'll be purchasing parts from www.thectsc.com are their parts reliable, Shipping cost? Now to the ATF how much would I need...I've heard 6L..7L..8L..? The kit comes with 6 but I'll purchase more if necessary

The list is what I'll be buying, Please reply if I'm missing anything !

Oil Change Kit for 6HP26 ($241.95) Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32

Sealing Sleeve ($16.98) Mechatronic sealing sleeve

Might as well replace the pan screws while I'm down their.
Oil Pan Screws (21x $1.97 = $41.37) Oil Pan Screw - Plastic Oil Pan

Can someone tell me which gasket I'll need ?
Gasket 6HP26 - 6HP28 - 6HP32 or
Oil Pan Gasket BMW E53 X5
or both ?

Filer Plug ($4.25) Filler Plug 6HP19/21/26/28/32

O-Ring (Price Unavailable) O.-Ring Suction Tube Plastic Pan

Drain Plug ($3.95) Drain Plug

Thanks for your time fellas

Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Do you happen to know what trans I have so I can order the pan/ATF and the sleeve and best place to purchase online? 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8. I was hoping to do the trans fluid change around 90K but I guess it needs it now LOL. Is it difficult doing a pan/fluid sleeve change ?

Thanks
The part numbers are listed in the first post in that thread I provided you in my previous post.

If you go to Ebay, you can get the sleeve for about 10 bucks, and you can get the pan for about 100 bucks.

Concerning the fluid:
There is some debate on what to use. If you want to go with the original ZF fluid, then check out this site:
The CTSC - ZF Parts

If you want to use something more cost efficient, some forum members went with Mercon SP. That fluid is used in the Lincoln Navigator equipped with the same ZF transmission. I have a few friends with BMW's who used it in their ZF transmissions as well. So far, they have no complaints.

When I did my transmission fluid change, it took me some time cause I am slightly less than an amateur at this kind of stuff.

This video along with that thread helped me out:

Also, before you change out the fluid, I would recommend to check and see if your transmission fluid lines are not leaking. With the age of our cars now, it's pretty common. I had to change mine out a few months ago.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 PM

I see that you replied before I could finish writing up my previous message...

When I did the fluid change, I ended up putting in 7 liters. Some members claim they only needed 6. You might need a bit more cause yours is leaking fluid.

The gasket is already built into the pan, so it is not necessary for you to purchase it.

The oil pan screws: I was lucky since I live in Florida so none of my screws were rusted. I ended up using the same ones I had originally.

The drain plug comes with that kit from CTSC.

campaign308 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Why not get the car up on a lift and see what is really leaking! It could also be a valve cover gasket.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Why not get the car up on a lift and see what is really leaking! It could also be a valve cover gasket.
A lift is the problem !

Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

When have you had the oil changed? Do that or just ask them if they would lift it for a small fee. Most times as long as you do not wish to touch or make repairs they will help you or you can drive it to Woodstock and I will put it up on my lift.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
When have you had the oil changed? Do that or just ask them if they would lift it for a small fee. Most times as long as you do not wish to touch or make repairs they will help you or you can drive it to Woodstock and I will put it up on my lift.
Perfect, I was going to go get the S-Type an oil change this past Friday but never went...I'll be taking it in Wednesday for an oil change and ask them if I can take a peak.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Ask if they can see the leak!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM

^ Yes, I was thinking of doing that, asking them to have a look around...It wont be free but it wont hurt neither.

Gus (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
I would put the car on jack stands if possible and check underneath the vehicle. More than likely a leaking rear crank seal - leaking oil down to the trans bell housing area.

...or as in my case, a leaky transmission front seal.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Just got back from the S-Type's oil change, I don't know if the previous oil was synthetic or not (I've only put about 2,000 miles since I' got the car 4 months ago) and haven't done an oil change..Got it done today went full synthetic...seems like it runs a bit better...The large spills of oil on my ugly driveway happen to be engine oil..auto shop said my filter was loose

Anyways I also went so they could check if the tranny was leaking..they said a small amount and said it was leaking from the tranny pan gasket and they could replace the pan/gasket for about $400 including everything which sounds like a deal...They said he would need a new pan/gasket...and 1L of ATF...but I'm pretty darn sure if you drop the pan ALL the fluid is going to come out am I correct ?

The owner is supposed to give me a call later today with an exact quote and if he can find OEM parts...If he in deed is wrong I'm going to correct him on that 1L of ATF telling him he needs about 6-8 as it's all going to come out no matter what !

Thanks for reading !

Gus (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Just got back from the S-Type's oil change, I don't know if the previous oil was synthetic or not (I've only put about 2,000 miles since I' got the car 4 months ago) and haven't done an oil change..Got it done today went full synthetic...seems like it runs a bit better...The large spills of oil on my ugly driveway happen to be engine oil..auto shop said my filter was loose

Anyways I also went so they could check if the tranny was leaking..they said a small amount and said it was leaking from the tranny pan gasket and they could replace the pan/gasket for about $400 including everything which sounds like a deal...They said he would need a new pan/gasket...and 1L of ATF...but I'm pretty darn sure if you drop the pan ALL the fluid is going to come out am I correct ?

The owner is supposed to give me a call later today with an exact quote and if he can find OEM parts...If he in deed is wrong I'm going to correct him on that 1L of ATF telling him he needs about 6-8 as it's all going to come out no matter what !

Thanks for reading !
Correct, when you drop the pan, the fluid will come out (minus what's in the system already).

If you give the job to this mechanic, ensure that he knows the proper filling procedure.

If he is removing the pan, as proactive maintenance, make sure he changes the sleeve as well. It's only like 10 bucks on Ebay and can only be changed when the pan is off.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Hello, Got a call from the mech...gave me a quote of $570 including all parts & labor guess he figured out he wasn't going to make it with 1L of ATF LOL and said he would need 7....sounds about right...I asked him what If I brought all the parts/fluid he said $170 for labor...if I went that route total would be $448...$122 difference...I don't know if he knows the filling procedure or not but if I where to take it to him I'd give him forum member "CCC"'s instructions https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/ LOL..What do yall think ? Should I attempt and do it myself following the instructions/video or risk having the auto shop do it ? (hopefully following the instruction sheet I would provide them)...small leak isn't emergency 911 bad but it'll need to be done sooner or later.

Thanks for reading !

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid or Engine Oil Leaking ?