S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans shifting issue

Ok so I just posted an intro, have been reading these forums for help to fix issues over past 2-3 months and wanted to say thanks again to those in this S-type section

I have a 2004 s-type 3.0 about 102,000 miles on it.

All codes cleared now, after mostly a coil and plug swap with valve cover gasket replacement and intake gaskets.

However also after reading decided to change out trans fluid and just finished that.

Did that hoping it would help solve issue of a late shift from 1-2 from complete stop under full acceleration.

Hoping maybe previous owner maybe didn't fill according to proper procedure, and it was under.

I did procedure correctly, 99% confident on this as it was first time trying it. BTW that fill plug was a pain to break lose, but I guess most of you already know that.

So back to the issue of delayed shift from 1-2, I'm hoping to get some ideas on what might be the cause or anything I can do to help.

From dead stop under full acceleration it will rev up to 6-6500 before it will shift, may go higher but at that point I let off accelerator and she shifts. Under light acceleration she seems to shift on point. it seems that when I use the manual side it will shift okay when I move it. Which of course has me wondering about how that side starts in 2nd.

I didn't see any leaks after I did the refil, placing cardboard under for about a day to see if any thing fell and it was clean.

So any suggestions about this delayed shift under hard acceleration out of first?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 PM

Oh yeah one other part of this I was wondering if the TCM has to relearn shift patterns similar to ECM, and whether this was perhaps what was going on???

Old 05-31-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine had a similar problem after a full trans service, however I've found the system has 'learned' my heavy right footed driving style and has adjusted shift patterns to match. I will still rev out to around 6500 when in sport mode but in that mode most shift changes under hard acceleration rev out much higher.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

You can perform a 'CLEAR ADAPTATIONS' so the TCM can 'unlearn' bad habits from the past. The bad habits might be from a completely different driving style to poor shift due to low fluid level etc.

Sometimes the TCM 'adaptation clear' will come with a warning that the ECM and TCM must be reflashed "DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?"

This is usually because the software in the vehicle's modules is OLDER than the software in the WDS, IDS, SDD or compatible diagnostic machine.

There are threads regarding the procedures (and dangers) for reflashing modules on this forum.
I'll say this again about all this info..............It is in the TSB section of the large file downloads, SPECIFICALLY S307-17. You might not have the EXACT faults described in the TSB but the diagnostic procedures should help with your problems.

Jaguar has spent enormous amounts of money researching faults and issuing TSBs. The info is available so you can save time diagnosing.

Look through all of the TSBs to determine if any apply.

bob

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
abonano (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 PM

Hey thanks for the replies, I had read the adaption procedure from just a few days but was not sure if that applied just to the 2000-2002 5R55N or also for 6hp26. I had read some today at ZF site about that procedure too for 6hp26 and was going to try but did not get to it today.

I also noted in the bulitin they have listing a re-flash of firmware. This is something I've never done with a car. I had read a few other posts in a BMW forum about some software. but any additional posts or links to software or tools would be helpful, as I'm not certain what I need(if I decide to try and undertake this).

Final follow up is regardless I'm going to try that driving procedure without any reflash and hope it works.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

S-Types with Ford 5R55N do not have a TCM.