S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Additive- Where can it be found?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Transmission Additive- Where can it be found?

I wanted to get the transmission additive per TSB NUMBER: JTB00070 VERSION 1. The Plano, TX. jag dealer in Plano Tx. says they can no longer get the product. Any idea as to where it can be found. I will do much on a car, but this procedure and getting the temperatures right is something I want to leave for a dealer or mechanic with a lift.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0 57,600 miles

Just for your info on the TSB

Your Vehicle: 2005 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L

A/T - Squawk/Chirp Noise On Shifts

NUMBER: JTB00070
VERSION 1

MODEL: S-TYPE, XJ, XK
DATE: DECEMBER 5, 2007
THIS BULLETIN, ALONG WITH JTB00071, REPLACES JTB00040 VERSION 2, DATED 31 JULY 2007.
SECTION: 307-01
Transmission Noise During Gear Shifts - Repair Procedure
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
CONDITION SUMMARY:
SQUAWK/CHIRP NOISE DURING TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFTS
Situation:
The customer may complain of a squawk noise from the automatic transmission when changing into third gear. The noise may also occur on kick-down from fourth to third and sixth to third gears. A squawk or chirp noise can also be heard when changing from third to fourth gear at 50% throttle. The likely cause is that the 'E' clutch sticks and releases when engaging and disengaging gear.
Action:
Should a customer express concern about noise during gear shifts, follow the Repair Procedure below to remedy it using the additive.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

PARTS
NOTE: The additive must only be used in the following cases:
^
To fix a transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk).
^
It must only be used once in a transmission. The exception to the "use once" rule is if the transmission has had a complete fluid change, where a second application may be used on a customer complaint of transmission squawk.
NOTE: The additive must not be used in the following circumstances:
^
It must not be used in an attempt to fix any other transmission concerns, for example noises other than squawk, harsh transmission shifts, or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) logged in the transmission control module.
^
The additive must not be used on any cars from 2006 MY onwards starting with VINS S-TYPE: N52048, XJ Range: H00332, New XK: ALL vehicles.
^
The additive must not be used more than once in a transmission apart from the exception described in the second bullet of the NOTE above.
^
Do not use the additive as a preventative measure. It must not be used unless there is transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk) present.
^
Do not add the fluid during initial oil fill when a new or remanufactured transmission is installed.
^
The effects of using the additive incorrectly as outlined above may be reduced friction of the clutches leading to poor shift quality, logged DTCs, and it can also induce flare.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]

WARRANTY
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
TRANSMISSION NOISE SERVICE
CAUTION: If the service fix label is already attached to the transmission oil pan, the Repair Procedure in this bulletin should NOT be carried out. Performing the procedure a second time can cause severe damage to the transmission.
Raise vehicle on a four-post ramp.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.jpg[/IMG]

If an S-TYPE vehicle is being repaired, remove the engine undertray. (Figure 1)
Place clean drain container under the transmission.
CAUTION: The transmission must be cold before removing the fluid drain plug. The drain plug must not be fully removed as only one liter of fluid is to be collected.
NOTE: Illustrations show XJ Range. S-TYPE and XK are similar.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image007.jpg[/IMG]

Undo and partially remove the transmission fluid drain plug. (Figure 2)
Collect one liter (33.8 oz) of fluid from the transmission into a clean measuring jug.
Reinstall and tighten the transmission fluid drain plug to 8 Nm (5.9 lbf-ft).
Ensure the selector lever is in 'P' and the handbrake is applied.
Start the engine and allow to idle.
Unscrew transmission filler plug and fill with one liter of the additive (C2C 37157) using a clean syringe.
Install filler plug.
Pull the service fix label off the bottle and apply it to the transmission oil pan near the filler plug. (Figure 3)
If an S-TYPE vehicle is being repaired, install the engine undertray. (Figure 1)
NOTE:
Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home> NAS > (select vehicle and year) / Service Information > Workshop Manuals> Bookmarks Powertrain/Automatic Transmission/Transaxle/307-01 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle "LINK Fluid Level Check"
Refer to GTR Workshop Manual, section: 307-01 and check / top-up the transmission fluid level.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It's said to be no longer required and thus not available.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's said to be no longer required and thus not available.

This is where jag. gets themselves in trouble. if it were needed once for this transmission - how the devil would it no longer be needed for the same transmission and what is the alternative??????????????

Tom

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have read that the new LifeGuard6 comes with the additive already mixed in.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
That was my understanding also, I wonder if it says anything on the bottle?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Not that I can read. I had my transmission serviced and it was quiet but now at cold temperatures I have the noise the additive was supposed to fix??

My noise is very low and only can be heard at idle when shifting from forward to reverse. After driving a mile or two it's all gone regardless of how cold it is outside.

Still don't know why that happened. 2005 STR 75K miles.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I also read that it was discontinued and added to LG6 and feared if and when I bought LG6 I may get the non-additive stock...

Both my S-Type have/had the "hoot" during WOT from a roll regardless of the speed or outside temperature...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

That would mean a change of fluid and I asked the dealer and he indicated they do not even have a procedure for doing a fluid change. So what is the real scene? Jags and the z transmissions. Why can't they get this right, although i suppose the new ones do.

Tom

Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

There is such a procedure. Threads on here show and tell.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,934 Posts

The fluid additive is no longer available because the C2C 8432 or Lifeguard 6 has the appropriate additive. If the dealer will not drain and refill, then find an independent shop to do the job for you or perform the task yourself.

Print out the TSBs for this fault and take them to the dealer. The service writers don't know all the services available and some just tell the customers what the mechanic tells them. Some mechanics are idiots like the rest of the human population. I worked with some good techs and some I would not want to work on a lawn mower.

There are 3 dealers in the DFW area and I don't know anyone at that dealer so I can't say if you will get good or bad service from them. If you want to talk to a local dealer then contact me and I will get you in touch with a buddy of mine at the Fort Worth one to get the work done correctly.

There are plenty of good independent shops that will do a good job but there are some that will put some strange fluid into the gearbox and tell you it is what they always use!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Well, Texas is a big place ... but if you are close enough, both Motorcarman and Brutal can probably stumble through it

Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Probably in their sleep. And get it done right.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

According to Brutal ... he doesn't sleep much

Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Rick, you're still running a summer 2010 mix of the original Lifeguard 6 and Castrol Multi-Import ATF, correct? So does Joyce's ZF ever emit this classic "bark" or "squawk" now?

What about you guys who are running Mobil One synthetic ATF?

What about you guys who are running Pentosin ATF?

What about you guys who are running something other than the above?

Regardless of what ZF management has told me during several phone conversations with them in March 2010, Lifeguard 6 may no longer be the best all-around ATF for our 6-speed transmissions. I have put hours of thought and research into what I will use when I finally do a ZF drain-and-fill on our 2005 S-Type (which will probably happen between 80,000 and 90,000 miles as long as our factory ZF electrical connector sleeve does not develop the dreaded leak first). But I still have not decided whether I will stay with Lifeguard 6 or use something newer. Our car is approaching 70,000 miles now, so I still have some time....

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Rick, you're still running a summer 2010 mix of the original Lifeguard 6 and Castrol Multi-Import ATF, correct? So does Joyce's ZF ever emit this classic "bark" or "squawk" now?
Correct Jon.

Joyces box still seems tight with the combination of Castrol Multi-Import and original LifeGuard6! I believe with that mixture now approaching 6/7k'ish, its just fine.

I drove Joyces Jag last weekend and was even thinking about how nice the transmission is responding to the mixture.

No sqwuaks or barks or anyother problems what so ever, well with the transmission anyways...

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Correct Jon.

Joyces box still seems tight with the combination of Castrol Multi-Import and original LifeGuard6! I believe with that mixture now approaching 6/7k'ish, its just fine.

I drove Joyces Jag last weekend and was even thinking about how nice the transmission is responding to the mixture.

No sqwuaks or barks or anyother problems what so ever, well with the transmission anyways...
So what would be the final "professional" and if not - the INTELLIGENT answer to do about getting the squawk and hoot out of my transmission?
Perhaps I am under the assumption that it can eventually harm and destroy the transmission or am I way out on that thought?

Thanks

Tom

Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Is it worth checking the level is right before doing anything else?

hmm, may be even more worthwhile to have the adaptions cleared and ZF reflashed.

Comments / other ideas?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Is it worth checking the level is right before doing anything else?

hmm, may be even more worthwhile to have the adaptions cleared and ZF reflashed.

Comments / other ideas?
Well, I have no indication of any leaks and when I had the last warranty service some 2 years ago they flashed the TMC and at least, my lurch went away.

T

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

What is TMC?

If it worked before maybe do it again.

Last edited by JagV8; 01-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

T m c?
Let's try and learn to type and see if TCM comes out better.

T

Quick Reply: Transmission Additive- Where can it be found?