S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission bellhousing pattern

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023 | 05:00 PM
|
Default Transmission bellhousing pattern

Hi chaps, i have the option of taking on a 2002 S type 4.0 non- supercharged. it starts and runs but the transmission is unresponsive. The shifter does move to the drive position but nothing happens. i dont know yet what the fault is. the car is high mileage but has new battery, wheels, tires, brakes, the interior is nice etc etc. I know this car has the 5R55N Jaguar/Ford transmission but what i dont know is if the bellhousing bolt pattern is identical to the transmission in the Lincoln LS? which i can pick up cheaply. Also, is there a common problem that prevents movement? thanks for any help. cheers, Mike

Old 07-26-2023 | 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sirdigby
is there a common problem that prevents movement?...
Is the Pope Catholic?
Does a bear $#!+ in the woods?

Before doing anything, take a look at the J gate shift lever mechanism. There's a plastic piece prone to breakage on early models. You may have to remove the console for a good view. Everything you need to know and more in this thread, including the part number for an upgraded metal piece:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...roblem-220916/

Do you know any history of this car? The typical failure happens when parked on an incline with the parking brake off, creating tension on the transmission. The transmission is now difficult to shift out of Park, and the little plastic piece breaks if you pull too hard. More details:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...incline-183486

Old 07-27-2023 | 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Had another thought. Don't worry, I don't charge for these ideas...

Take a look at this picture of a Lincoln LS transmission, shamelessly stolen from eBay:

On the left side of the transmission, just below the Ford oval logo, you can see the arm (with protruding ball stud) where the shift cable is attached. I wonder if you could stick your arm under the vehicle and aim your cell phone camera up there, just outboard of the transmission pan. Record a short video while a helper cycles the shift lever. If the J-gate and shift cable are good, you will see that arm rotate fore and aft.

Back to your original question about swapping a Lincoln transmission into an S-Type, I'm not sure this would work easily. I poked around a few places where you can purchase a remanufactured transmission. In all cases, they had different part numbers. Even if the unit bolted up physically, there may be some internal differences that could cause the Jaguar to reject the transplant, so to speak. I have no idea what the differences may be or how critical they are. The only thing I noticed is the part numbers are different.

FWIW, the 5R55N in my '02 V6 gave up the ghost a few months ago. I had a reman unit installed. IIRC, it was about $3600 total installed. That should give you an idea of a worst case cost scenario.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023 | 09:53 AM
|

thanks for that info. i have seen a metal version of the pivot ball on ebay but i didnt know what it was for... now i do.

Old 07-27-2023 | 09:58 AM
|

Originally Posted by kr98664
Had another thought. Don't worry, I don't charge for these ideas...

Take a look at this picture of a Lincoln LS transmission, shamelessly stolen from eBay:

On the left side of the transmission, just below the Ford oval logo, you can see the arm (with protruding ball stud) where the shift cable is attached. I wonder if you could stick your arm under the vehicle and aim your cell phone camera up there, just outboard of the transmission pan. Record a short video while a helper cycles the shift lever. If the J-gate and shift cable are good, you will see that arm rotate fore and aft.

Back to your original question about swapping a Lincoln transmission into an S-Type, I'm not sure this would work easily. I poked around a few places where you can purchase a remanufactured transmission. In all cases, they had different part numbers. Even if the unit bolted up physically, there may be some internal differences that could cause the Jaguar to reject the transplant, so to speak. I have no idea what the differences may be or how critical they are. The only thing I noticed is the part numbers are different.

FWIW, the 5R55N in my '02 V6 gave up the ghost a few months ago. I had a reman unit installed. IIRC, it was about $3600 total installed. That should give you an idea of a worst case cost scenario.
thats good info too. Thank you! unfortuneately i cannot do as you suggested as the car is 200 miles away and the owner is a lady who is not likely to get on the ground like that! anyway, i do understand what you are saying so if i do buy the car that is where i will begin. i have an offer in on the car and if she accepts it i will have it trucked to my place. im in rural Colorado.

Old 07-27-2023 | 10:11 AM

+1 on Karl's information and suggestions.

Another thing to check if and when you have access to the vehicle, is the gearbox fluid level.

A common failure point for the 5R55N is the servo bores for the intermediate and overdrive bands. The case can be machined and a steel insert inserted for the servo pistons to correct pressure loss as the bands are applied.

Attached is the ATSG training manual for the Ford 5R55N gearbox.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5R55N_gearbox.pdf (7.31 MB, 82 views)
The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (07-27-2023)