S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and Electrical Catch 22

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and Electrical Catch 22

I am in a catch 22 situation. The transmission went out on my 2001 S type Jaguar last Fall. I was quoted over $6,000 by the dealer to "rebuild" the transmission. After a few months, I found someone to rebuild my transmission for $2000, plus towing, etc. Long story, but supposedly the transmission was rebuilt with a one year warranty. However, I was told a squirrel had eaten much of the wiring, and they only worked on transmissions. Since the car wouldn't run, I couldn't test drive the transmission repair. I towed it to a certified mechanic who did diagnose the electrical problem, but says the transmission was not repaired properly and it needs to have the transmission rebuilt. He won't fix the electrical until the transmission is rebuilt because he can't test it. I can't prove to the transmission repair shop that the transmission isn't working because the electrical isn't working. I just want the car fixed! I asked that the electrical work be done so that I can take it back to get the transmission work done under warranty, but they don't want to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

How does the electrical guy know the tranny is toast if he hasn't run it?

Any chance of getting both guys together and trying to work something out? Right now you are just running round in ever decreasing circles.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Any chance of you DIYing? Get the vehicle up in the air, repair "said" squirrel damage.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Both mechanics sound fishy as in; they are doing the "CYA" (Cover Your ***) dance. Have a mechanic rewire the harness to the trans. If she doesn 't give a "Shift", then ya git back to the trans. shop and demand they warranty their crap job! Nuff said....

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

take pictures of the damage please. ill tell you what to do. i need to see it though. depending on where you are, i may have a car audio guy close that could possibly repair it for you. it all depends on the damage though.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get the car started (by jumping the battery) and it does go into reverse. It won't stay running though and absolutely won't move forward. I know the squirrel did damage to the electrical (I did see it). Yes, the 2nd mechanic is Covering his tail and doesn't want issues because of the first mechanic (transmission). But I told him I would sign off on his work, as long as he can get it running to eliminate this as the 1st mechanics issue. Per the 2nd mechanic, the diagnostics he ran shows the transmission still needing work (torque converter). Without going into to all the details, I absolutely do not trust the transmission mechanic as it was a bait and switch operation - one company showed up to diagnose the car and tow it in, then took it to a totally different company for the repairs. They accepted checks just fine in the beginning, but refused to bring my car back to me and would only accept cash. I took a police officer with me to get my car back and paid by check only. I do have the written one year warranty on the work, but I am just going round and round because I can't prove the transmission is bad since I can't keep it started long enough and the electrical needs to work to eliminate that problem. There is no way these two mechanics would ever get together. The car is still with the second mechanic (who doesn't do transmissions). Besides the dealer, does anyone in Kansas work on the total car? All I have right now is either yard art or the car being towed from place to place - and I have already paid for a complete transmission rebuild. I will gladly pay for the electrical work to be done, as it was my squirrel. BTW, I am way past my prime on working with cars - just want to drive it now.