S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Failure? LOUD whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Failure? LOUD whining noise

Hello guys, trying to see if anyone can shed some insight on an issue I'm having on an 05 S type with 160k ... I've been getting a gearbox fault message for a few weeks now. I'll drive the car, and if I aceelerate too fast, it will not accelerate. The engine light flashes for a few seconds, goes away, and the car goes back to normal.

Another thing the car would do is display a gearbox error message.. when it would do that, the car wouldn't shift gears. I would go up to 70mph, and the rpms would be at 6-6k, with no signs of wanting to change.

Today I was driving the car, reached a red light, light turns green, I try to accelerate, and nothing. I turned off the car, waited a few minutes, and was able to get the car home.. I notice the car is making a very loud whining noise, and giving out a smell (oil?).. While driving back home, I have trouble accelerating... Is the transmission going out? Does it need oil? I came across this, but not sure how true it is..
Jaguar S-TYPE Questions - WERE DO YOU CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID - CarGurus
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Flashing MIL = msifires so bad they're causing cat damage

And also probably annoying the trans.

Fix the misfires. Don't cause them until fixed unless you want to buy cat(s) as well (though you may be too late).

Old 05-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

In addition to the misfires, your transmission appears to need desperate help also. The link you provided indicated that the trans does not have a dipstick. This is true. There are many posts discussing here how to check the fluid level and more importantly that the fluid needs to be changed every 80-100K miles. Your car has 160K miles, it might have the original fluid.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys... I turned it on today, started right up.. But as I drive it, it just does the same thing. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets.. I took it to a transmission place, and they told me it was going to be 2K to replace the transmission.. I really don't want to put that amount of money into this car, as I've had to replace so many things already.. I might just part ways with it.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

So the idea of checking fluid level does not appeal?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Thanks guys... I turned it on today, started right up.. But as I drive it, it just does the same thing. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets.. I took it to a transmission place, and they told me it was going to be 2K to replace the transmission.. I really don't want to put that amount of money into this car, as I've had to replace so many things already.. I might just part ways with it.
Have you bothered to check the DTCs stored in the system to determine the source(s) of the misfire? As others have mentioned, find and correct the misfires before condemning the gearbox.

Do not drive the vehicle under conditions that cause the MIL to flash as there is catalyst damage occurring.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY

Hi EN_VY,

Not to be hard on you, but why are you still driving this car? It obviously has some very serious problems and continuing to drive it is only going to make matters worse. The gearbox fault message should be interpreted to mean "Stop driving this car until the faults have been identified and corrected."

If you will have the stored DTCs scanned and report them here, the knowledgeable members will be happy to try to help you sort things out, but until then, I would highly recommend that you borrow a car from a friend and let the Jag sit.

Bear in mind that standard OBDII scanners can only read most of the Powertrain (P) DTCs, but you may also have one or more proprietary Jaguar codes stored: U (Undefined, mostly network-related), C (Chassis) and/or B (Body). A Jag dealer or good indie mechanic who has the proper equipment can read the proprietary codes for you.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys.. @Don B.. yes, that's very true. I'm no longer driving it, (it doesn't run anymore) It runs for about five second and no longer moves. I will do this the DTC, hopefully I can figure it out.
Thanks again for the help.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-07-2015)