Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid

Hello all,

My first thread & hoping for a quick verification.

I have a 2003 S-type 3.0 ZF transmission

Is the proper transmission fluid the ZF Lifeguard 6 ($20/ liter) ?

Will the Shell M-1375.4 work as well?

Autozone suggested a Castrol ATF?

Price really isn't an option - although I will not be taking this car to a dealer, I really just want the proper fluid.

I will apoligize in advance for not searching properly to find my answer, I'm sure it's out there.

Thank you for any advice,

Brian

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Yes, Lifeguard 6 is the fluid recommended by ZF. But others here are running a variety of fluids ranging from Castrol Multi-Import ATF to Mobil 1 to Pentosin to Wolf's Head to Mercon SP. You should do some searching and reading - lots of valuable information here on the care and feeding of these ZF transmissions....

By the way, Shell M1375.4 is a specification, not an actual fluid. Basically, any ATF you select must meet the Shell spec. A number of the above listed fluids do. But do some research before you decide what path to take....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

This has beat to death pretty thoroughly!!

Do some searches to find what people have used and where to get different fluids for the best price. The only thing that has changed is in the US we have a much better price for the ZF fluid if you use that. In the beginning the ZF stuff was crazy high at $60+ per liter. Now it's in the $17-$20 per liter range. Still kinda high but you don't change it very often so I went with the ZF fluid.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM

Ok. Picked up some Castro multi import at my local autozone. It's red, the old was brown. I mixed a little in a bowl & seemed to mix well. I was assuming the Castro would be brown.
We were able to get almost 5 quarts in tonight. Are there any concerns?
Thanks. Brian

Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Depends whether you followed the correct procedure.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

If it was a drain and fill, doesn't sound like enough.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

I concur - you're currently underfilled. Big transmission problems could ensue if you do not get the fluid level up to where it needs to be....

By the way, your factory Lifeguard 6 fluid is brown because it is old. When Lifeguard 6 is new, it is golden-colored. I have a bottle on my garage shelf....

Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlietuna
Ok. Picked up some Castro multi import at my local autozone. It's red, the old was brown. I mixed a little in a bowl & seemed to mix well. I was assuming the Castro would be brown.
We were able to get almost 5 quarts in tonight. Are there any concerns?
Thanks. Brian
Yes, a lot of concerns... see below..

Originally Posted by JagV8
Depends whether you followed the correct procedure.
What JagV8 is eluding to, is that these (and many more) transmissions are extremely sensitive to filling at the correct temperature..

The fact that you pumped in 5 quarts of Castrol fluid on top of brown ZF fluid is of great concern. If you did it cold, then you have a very overfilled transmission... NOT GOOD.... Also, if the transmission was low to begin with you need to find the leak.. See, transmissions are not like engines. They don't "use" fluid. If it was low either a previous service was not done properly or it leaked out. Also, leaks don't always manifest as puddles..sometimes they only occur under operating pressure, as in driving. The fact that it is brown means that it either is real old and dirty or was over heated (can be caused by running low). Your transmission needs a proper service, and quick!

The next part is just an opinion.... If it was me, I would dump all the fluid I could out, and replace it with the original ZF fluid. Do some research here about common leak points and service them as well when you replace the pan/filter. Then after servicing it correctly, I would buy another service kit and do it all again... to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Hopefully it would be soon enough before any real damage occurs.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any one know how much transmission fluid loss is safley acceptable for the transmission? My mothers 05 s type has a slow leak comming from the top of the transmission but she has to drive the car to get to work I'll have to order the fluid, pan and seals and do it when she gets a day off, By the way the life guard 6 is indeed the actual fluid that comes in the gear box from the factory? I don't want to use anything but the factory stuff even if I have to buy it from the dealer.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blaq Cat
Any one know how much transmission fluid loss is safley acceptable for the transmission? My mothers 05 s type has a slow leak comming from the top of the transmission but she has to drive the car to get to work I'll have to order the fluid, pan and seals and do it when she gets a day off, By the way the life guard 6 is indeed the actual fluid that comes in the gear box from the factory? I don't want to use anything but the factory stuff even if I have to buy it from the dealer.
Check this link out Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32 don't forget you have to order the sealing sleeve as an additional part.

Here is a link that will show you how to DIY that has been done by many of us on the forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/

Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

They seem VERY fussy about the level so don't leave it longer than you must. Yes, OE fill is LGF6.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Default Surging & noise?

2003, S-type 3.0 115,000 miles

I have read for hours here & hope to possibly get a little more info on my specific issue.

I changed the trans fluid last week. I pulled the car on ramps, drained the trans fluid for a few hours. plugged it back & replaced with castrol ATF multi import. just under 5 qts. - the car was not level - it was still up on ramps.

As I was adding fluid I filled until it came back out the plug in the passenger side, then started it up & ran it through the gears while stationary on the ramps. added again until the it began to come out the fill hole. did this process 3x

Took the car for a drive the next day, for the first 10 minutes, the car surged / & had a growling type noise during light acceleration. After ~ 10 minutes it stopped & everything seemed fine. Shifted smooth & no noticable issues.

2nd drive two days later. Same thing.

Decided I may not have enough trans fluid in - per one of the earlier replies, read more on importance of the car being level. So I built platforms out of old bridge timbers & leveled it.

Let the car set over night to have the correct temperature & expected to be able to put more trans fluid in, but when I pulled the side plug(passenger side) fluid ran out (approx 1/3-1/2 qt) before I put the plug back in. It was still draining slowly. Did I have too much in??

I would be very interested in thoughts of the experienced minds here.

*** edit: Jeff, just read re-reading the thread & noticed your comment: "The fact that you pumped in 5 quarts of Castrol fluid on top of brown ZF fluid is of great concern. If you did it cold, then you have a very overfilled transmission... NOT GOOD.... "

So it does appear I may be over full. now that it's level - im assuming I should drain all that will come out of the side fill plug?

Thank you,
Brian

Last edited by Charlietuna; 08-11-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: addition of info
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Yes, but you also need to be at the right temp when you do it.
The procedure is in the How To section.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Brian, I guess you did not look nor read and understand the links in post #10.

If you would have payed attention to this lnk: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/ You would not be having problems. As fellow member ccc pointed out!

BTW, yes I have Castrol Multi ATF (with some Lifeguard6) in Joyces Jag for well over 2 years and she is still smooth as silk!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Just as a follow up, it seems leveling the car is a significant step. We were able to get approx 1.5 more qts in the car vs. not leveling - following the procedure & I also spent 20 min on the phone with a jag service tech that preforms this service often. Thanks for your help. Brian

Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Leveling the car is indeed a requirement, as pointed out in the Jaguar ATF drain-and-fill procedure. You cannot get the fluid volume correct unless you level the car first....

Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlietuna
Hello all,

My first thread & hoping for a quick verification.

I have a 2003 S-type 3.0 ZF transmission

Is the proper transmission fluid the ZF Lifeguard 6 ($20/ liter) ?

Will the Shell M-1375.4 work as well?

Autozone suggested a Castrol ATF?

Price really isn't an option - although I will not be taking this car to a dealer, I really just want the proper fluid.

I will apoligize in advance for not searching properly to find my answer, I'm sure it's out there.

Thank you for any advice,

Brian
brian , after experience with a failed trans on a former x-308 where i substituted for sake of price based on other fluids that people heard worked.. i will never do it again. i am taking my 05 to a jag guy in flemington nj today to have trans and diff changed since i think its better done up in the air. my car has 102k on it. i found an ATP filter/pan off ebay for about $105 , i found the lifeguard 6 on the internet for $18/liter. i got 7 liters. there are also zf trans service kits when you do a search for "zf lifeguard 6 trans fluid" that run about $245 includes 7 liers / filter and gasket. i dont plan on doing this again for a while so , i think the slightly extra cost for the right fluid is good insurance

Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got done with with refilling the transmission thanks for the link on the "how to" Car shifts really smooth my only concern is that there is a clunking sound that still exists when down shifting comming to a complete stop it also feels as if it is down shifting to early causing an engine break feeling. At first I though it may have been due to low fluid from it leaking out but after refilling it properly as per instructed in the how to thread, the problem is still there. Then my mom tells me that it has always been like that for as long as she's owned it. Is this some thing that needs to be adressed or is it just a normal fault on these trannys? By the way can any one list down any common faults that are considered normal or post a link if there is a thread on them already thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Blaq....

Hate to sound like this but you really need to read through the forum...

Start with the stickies and go from there... There are some very common faults with the ZF box, but at the same time if serviced it is a tough trans..

Read up on the "Lurch"... I think you will find your answer there....
And I'm sure you Mom has felt it as long as she's owned the car.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

If it's now filled OK then the dealer adaption clear & reflash has a good chance of fixing it fairly cheaply. (Not DIY.) All in the threads

If it's now filled properly you've DIYed the expensive thing so don't be sad!