S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid Type

I was searching around the forum to see if anyone used Valvolines Max Life ATF in place of the ESSO LT 71141fluidin their 5R55N transmission. I've been having tranny issues and sad to think of but I might need a new tranny. Could be a pump or a solenoid, can't tell. It's not throwing any tranny codes. But I have a feeling its going because it's slipping. I want to try and do a flush and fill before I rule anything out. So I was wondering what fluid to use. I bought a bottle of Castrol Mercon V but before I got around to doing anything to the tranny I read that it wasn't the right one. I know it's not the dealers fluid but I read that Castrol has one (I have the fluid model/spec number somewhere) that was supposed to be compatible with the 5R55N's. I've readthat there are a few otherbrandsthat supposed to be compatible with the 5R55N tranny's like Esso LT 71141; Shell ATF 3403 M115; Shell M1375.4; MERCON V XT-5-QM ATF; IDEMITSU K17; Jatco 3100 PL085. The Jatco's are preffered I think but I can't find that fluid anywhere.

If anyone has tried any of these brands in their trannies please let me know how it's running.

I have a 2000 3.0 with over 117k and it was running fine the first week I got it, but after that it's been a nightmare. Within that time I've spent alot of time reading up on the forums about this car and now I wish I had'nt bought it. It was a good deal and it ran strong the first two days I was test driving before I dropped any funds on it. Then now, within a month, I've got a new expansion tank because mine leaked and caused the engine to go hot. It didn't throw a code either and it wasn't until it got past the middle line on the temp. gauge that I started paying attention to it. Then I noticed a leak coming from the drivers side next to the wheel and thats when I found out what it was. Now I have P420 code, a bad cat and I'm trying to find a good aftermarket cat. Anybody know of a place? Do you think it could be the O2 sensors. The guy that sold me the car showed me the receipts that he replaced the cats last November. I called the company (Davico) to make sure he wasn't lyingand he did get them replaced and they are under warranty as well. I'd get a new one but I've read somewhere and heard from 2muffler shops that the cats need to be OEM (from the dealer) or it will go bad again. Is that true?

Sorry for rambling but I appreciate this site. I've really learned a lot from everyone's advice and experiences and thank everyone for that. But this car seems to be more of a problem than anything else. I do have to say that it is sexy as hell though and a serious head turner!!! Thanks everyone.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Type

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I know how it is though. I went through the same thing! I ended up having the transmission rebuilt. I didn't want to put out the money, but since I had so much already in the car. I decided to get it fixed. I've come to a conclusion the trannies is these cars are garbage..which is very unfortunate.

I still love to drive the car. I'm just dissappointed in the reliabilty of them. I have no intention of owning another! I did however pay an extra cost to get a life time warranty on the tranny. I have no intention of paying for another rebuild!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah it is unfortunate.
But now I'm getting this harsh grinding like sound whenever I put my car in reverse after sitting overnight. It only does it when I start it up after sitting for awhile. I wouldn't particularly call it a cold start since I live in Arizona and it's already over a 100 degrees by 10am. But since I work at night, I usually start my day in the afternoon about 3pm. It's still hot then. I'm going to check the tranny this weekend but I'm still deciding what fluid to buy.
Please someone, has anyone tried the Castrol Import Trans Fluid? It says it's compatible withthe ESSO LT71141 spec.
Or what about any of these:
-Esso LT 71141
-Shell ATF 3403 M115
-Shell M1375.4
-MERCON V XT-5-QM ATF
-IDEMITSU K17(Jatco 3100 PL085)

If anyones changed their trans fluid using any of these fluids, what was your experience? Did it help, or more importantly did it damage your tranny?
Please help me decide.
Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told you need a pump of some sort to change the fluid in these trannies. Do you have such a device? Sorry I can't help with the fluid choice. I would think the Ford recommended fluid would be all you needed. I also heard the same grinding noise. From what I was told, it is your torque converter going bad.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah I though it was my torque converter. Thanks for your input. I was under the car the other day with the engine on and it was coming from right under there just sitting in park. That sucks!!! But I do have a fluid extractor/filler pump that I'm going to use this weekend. I have to try something. I've got the Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF that I'm gonna use in place of the Shell M1375.4 fluid that Jag recommends but if anyone else used any other fluid with success (or failure) please inform me.
Much appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read some bimmer threads tht ave and the say it is the same and will mix fine,
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/229437

Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks. I went ahead and changed it with the Castrol since I'm sure it needed it. I followed the drain and fill procedure and checked the trans w/ the engine running and it did need some fluid. So I'm glad I changedsome of the fluidand filledit a little bit. It didn't helpthe shiftingmuch but it didn't hurt it either. I suppose a total flush of the old fluid and fill it with some fresh fluid along with a filter and gasket change (that I have) will help some. But I do think the trans is going to have to be replaced soon.
I wonder if I could switch it with the ZF tranny's that the newer S Types have. Does anyone know if this is possible???

Old 07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

maybe you shud try doing a flush and using the correct fluid.. it may help. ESSo.

and no a zf wont work.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford (and consequently Jaguar) specs fluids that meet the WSS-M2C 202B license for the5R55N...AKA Mercon V. I have serviced my 00 S-type with nothing butfully synthetic Valvoline Mercon Vand have had 0 problems 85,000 miles and counting. The key is preventative maintenace...oil is cheap engines and transmissions are expensive.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

lol

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone gets bent out of shape on the Trans fluid yet I have not seen one person post that their perfectly working Trans malfunctioned after using an aftermarket Trans fluid. The worst thing you could do is not change the fluid because the dealer wants $600 to change it, or you could do some thing stupid like use type F fluid with no friction modifiers. I would trust the chemical engineers at Valvoline who published the application data on their recommended fluid.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default find a newer thread

You might want to look for a newer thread on this subject. There are several. There have quite number of discussion with newer and better information than is contained this one.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Agreed, alot more information has been added since 2008!

Heres one for starters: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35084

Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flushed today

I just flushed mine today. You can use Amzoil multi-car synthetic. It says on the back of the bottle it meets and exceeds the specs for our trans. It's $18.00 a quart but a lot cheeper than many other choices. I had mine completed by a local shop and it cost me $190.00. It also made a HUGE difference. I had a very bad jerk when I put the pedal to the floor to pass or enter traffic before and now its smooth as butter.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Woops... Didnt notice how old this was sorry!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been reading lots of things in preparation to do mine, looking to see what alternatives there are. Came across the following:

I (04 STR) used Pentosin ATF1 . Pentosin is presently on sale at partsquick.com for $9.50 a liter and is the same fluid ZF uses in their rebuilt units. I have had Pentosin ATF1 in my S type R now for several thousand miles and it has totally transformed the car. The 6HP26 shifts cleaner, quicker, smoother, and quieter than whatever Jag had in there, and I have no other agenda than to pass on my own experience to others.
Source

Old 05-07-2011, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,952 Posts

May be better to read existing threads here about that fluid and the ZF.

The real fluid is now so much cheaper that I wonder why anyone would buy fluid that may not be OK.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was only sharing what I've found elsewhere. I did eventually come across the thread Jag79 started about the kit on the CTSC website. While the kit and additional oil is cheap compared to other websites, do you know of anywhere else that would have the oil pan screws for much cheaper? $40 for 21 screws seems a bit steep in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,713 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Someone replaced the Torx screws with hex bolts and washers from a hardware store, maybe Leedsman??

Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Rick,Phaelex,
It was jar who used them https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...q-30991/page4/ post #63.

It's also a good thread to read for anyone planning on changing their fluid.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Type