S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leak???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission leak???

I just got my 03 S-Type V8 back from the local garage after removing the winter tires. The garage guy is telling me that i have a tranny cooling line that's leaking and it has to be replaced. $$$ He claims that I was low on fluid and they had to top it up. I'm at home now and wondering... Isn't there a special procedure for filling a ZF transmission? (6HP26) How did they add fluid and what kind of fluid did they use? Isn't it special stuff that goes in that gearbox? I'm starting to bite my nails.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'03 s-type calls for wss-m2c 202b, ie Mercon 5. Base models that is. Goggle it yourself. Using a scan tool or cheating using an infrared temp tool one can get the temp to the right degree. It's approximately 100 degrees farenheit. Simple matter from there to open "spill off" drain plug and see if she drips out. More concerned why you haven't changed her fluid before now.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM

even R models, per Mitchell, '03 s-type, call for mercon V, 5. Relax and be glad you have a tech that looks things over. Now get the leaking line repaired. My 2 cents

Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I was planning on picking up a trans. oil change kit and installing it this spring before the warm weather anyway but my real concern is that the garage "says" that I was low and he toped up the fluid. How did he know that the tranny was low? There's no dipstick on these things. There was never any drips on my driveway so if there is a leak, it must be minor. Changing a cooling line is a pretty big job, but getting a new line and cutting in a splice is a cheap and dirty fix. Think the garage guy is giving me the gears?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

matty no need to google, all the information you need is right here in the "S Type FAQ Section" top of this page, look for "transmission" title.

Here is the check / fill procedure:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/

I would call the garage and ask how they checked and topped off gearbox before you let them know what you just read.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by eastwildlife
'03 s-type calls for wss-m2c 202b, ie Mercon 5. Base models that is.
Doesn't sound right.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

even R models, per Mitchell, '03 s-type, call for mercon V, 5. Relax and be glad you have a tech that looks things over. Now get the leaking line repaired. My 2 cents
'03 s-type calls for wss-m2c 202b, ie Mercon 5. Base models that is. Goggle it yourself. Using a scan tool or cheating using an infrared temp tool one can get the temp to the right degree. It's approximately 100 degrees farenheit. Simple matter from there to open "spill off" drain plug and see if she drips out. More concerned why you haven't changed her fluid before now.

Ummm.... Whatever "Mitchell" is, it has been guiding you wrong.. The 2003 S Type DOES NOT USE Mercon V (Ford fluid). That is used in pre-2003 models with the Ford 5-speed trans..

The ZF 6HP26 trans uses a mineral oil based fluid that is specific to the ZF trans... Google it, you will see!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by matty427
I just got my 03 S-Type V8 back from the local garage after removing the winter tires. The garage guy is telling me that i have a tranny cooling line that's leaking and it has to be replaced. $$$ He claims that I was low on fluid and they had to top it up. I'm at home now and wondering... Isn't there a special procedure for filling a ZF transmission? (6HP26) How did they add fluid and what kind of fluid did they use? Isn't it special stuff that goes in that gearbox? I'm starting to bite my nails.
As Rick stated, go read that thread.. And you are correct to be concerned about "what kind of fluid did they use" and if they did in fact check and fill properly... From what a Jag dealer has told me and I've read in other areas.. It is just as bad or worse to over fill the trans as it is to run it low.. Read up and get it checked out. But if it drives fine I wouldn't freak out, just get ready to do a service and that should take care of it.

Do a search here on transmission cooling lines. Others have had leaks, heck mine was seeping as well. It really depends on where it is leaking as to whether or not it can be repaired. And yes, changing out the whole line is a large and time consuming job.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Not trying to get into trouble here guys, use Mitchell for fluid types/capacities, all the time. My '01 s-type states "fluid is sealed and requires no change" Did a lot of googling before I figured out Jags spec for my '01 is Mercon V. Punched in the specs he gave, and I'd have used the same fluid.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Went back to Mitchell, used an '04 jag s-type same spec wss-m2c-202b. ie Mercon V. Hmm know sp is not compatible with Merc5. Still think get the leak adressed and fill it with whatever fluid you decide is right.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

Went back to Mitchell, used an '04 jag s-type same spec wss-m2c-202b. ie Mercon V. Hmm know sp is not compatible with Merc5. Still think get the leak adressed and fill it with whatever fluid you decide is right.
Mercon V is wrong so apparently Mitchell is wrong. It's that simple.
The Jag spec is on here and also easily found via google. It's NOT Mercon V.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth

Ummm.... Whatever "Mitchell" is
It's a competitor to alldatadiy et al. (But apparently gets the S-Type's tranny fluid wrong. Aargh.)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't trust anyone, research is key the members on here know their stuff.

When I was getting tires put on my car the mechanic at the garage came over and said have you had the tranny fluid changed in that car yet. I replied No. He said I have done a couple. I then asked, Oh really what kind of fluid did you use? He replied,while grabbing a quart off the shelf MerconV. It's the only thing you can use in those Jags. I said how much does it take? He replied, 9 quarts no more no less. I said do you take the pan off? he said nope just drain it and put 9 quarts in. No way to check it!

He then asked if I wanted to schedule an app.?
Guess what I answerd?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by achysklic
Don't trust anyone, research is key the members on here know their stuff.

When I was getting tires put on my car the mechanic at the garage came over and said have you had the tranny fluid changed in that car yet. I replied No. He said I have done a couple. I then asked, Oh really what kind of fluid did you use? He replied,while grabbing a quart off the shelf MerconV. It's the only thing you can use in those Jags. I said how much does it take? He replied, 9 quarts no more no less. I said do you take the pan off? he said nope just drain it and put 9 quarts in. No way to check it!

He then asked if I wanted to schedule an app.?
Guess what I answerd?
This right here is why I do my own work! It is also why I read as much as I can! The only mechanics I ever trusted when talking about the S was the dealer... Heck..They even showed me how to do stuff myself...

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

Not trying to get into trouble here guys, use Mitchell for fluid types/capacities, all the time. My '01 s-type states "fluid is sealed and requires no change" Did a lot of googling before I figured out Jags spec for my '01 is Mercon V. Punched in the specs he gave, and I'd have used the same fluid.
Your not in trouble.. I just get concerned when blatantly wrong advise is given.. The fact that you have an 01 makes a HUGE difference. The 2000 to 2002 S Type (and all years of the Lincoln LS) use a Ford 5 speed trans. From 2003 to 2008 the S Type uses a ZF 6 speed trans. The same trans that is in the XK and XJ.

If "Mitchell" is not accounting for the huge number of changes that were done to the S Type in 2003 I would get rid of it.. No telling what else they got wrong!

Back to the OP's question. There are some alternatives that have been used with initial success. No one has put a ton of miles yet on the alternative. A search on this Forum will get you a bunch of threads. Also, there is some stuff about changing lines and seals.

I didn't post any of the discussed alternatives because both ZF and Jaguar DO NOT approve of them. Not saying they are right, but I myself have always "followed" the spec with great success. That said, there are vendor(s) out there that sell change kits using the ZF Factory fluid (Lifeguard 6) for a decent price. Given the cost of the "kit" I would just service the trans. with the factory spec fluid and sleep well at night....