S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and Other Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and Other Stuff

My 2006 S-type has about 63K miles on it. As of recently it is not a daily driver “3-4 days out of the week”. The car runs fine, as of this typing. I am curious as to whether I will be needing to spend any substantial amount of money on any service in the near future.

I replaced all the oxygen sensors “three times” at 60k miles, the front control arms around 50k, new brakes pads around 30K .

Should I change the transmission fluid or get any type of service on the car.

I really like the car and would like to keep it a couple more years. But that depends on any future service that might be anticipated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

PS: I wish my bank had the security this site has when trying to log on.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Go read all of the newbie advisories and introductory stuff. You won't be able to post files/pictures or download any of them for a number of days as your capabilities are limited at first.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
My 2006 S-type has about 63K miles on it. As of recently it is not a daily driver “3-4 days out of the week”. The car runs fine, as of this typing. I am curious as to whether I will be needing to spend any substantial amount of money on any service in the near future.

I replaced all the oxygen sensors “three times” at 60k miles, the front control arms around 50k, new brakes pads around 30K .

Should I change the transmission fluid or get any type of service on the car.

I really like the car and would like to keep it a couple more years. But that depends on any future service that might be anticipated.
Transmission? Don't touch it unless you have a failure or a leak, period. It's a reliable gearbox.
You've already covered the front end, the O2 sensor repair is kinda weird, and you can expect another round of brakes.
Other than that, happy Jagin'.
They have been a really good car for Jaguar.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's the story with the O2 sensors? Did you replace all 4 and 3 times each?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Default Oxygen Senors

I had the car in shop for my engine light. They put a diagnostic tool on it and said my oxygen sensors where bad. They gave me a quote of $1000 to do the repair. I decided to order some after market sensors and install them myself. After doing so the light still stayed on. Took it back to the shop and they told me I could not use after market sensors. OK I said , you order them and put them on. They made a few phone call and said they could not find them . So I went online and found some Denso’s Oygen sensors “$400” , I called the shop and ask them if they would work. They told me Denso sensor’s would work. So I ordered the sensors and brought the car back to the shop to have them put them on. Now I trust this shop “not a Jaguar shop” they have worked on all my cars with zero problems. So they put the Denso sensors on “$250”. Next day I drive the car BAM engine light comes back on. So I bring the car back to the shop. They keep it for a day an tell me the light still is on. Told me to bring it back so they can spend more time on it “no charge for said service”. So I get this flyer in the mail , during this time. There is a shop not far from my work that’s works on nothing but Jaguar’s. So I take my car to them for the engine light. They keep the car for a week , used up ľ tank of gas and install new oxygen sensors. $1,100 for the repair and as of to date the light is off. The short of it is : they told me the old Oxygen where screwed in to tight and they had to reset the computer.

Excuse any typos , I wrote this on the fly.

Thanks

Keith

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Such a tale of woe

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
I had the car in shop for my engine light. They put a diagnostic tool on it and said my oxygen sensors where bad. They gave me a quote of $1000 to do the repair. I decided to order some after market sensors and install them myself. After doing so the light still stayed on. Took it back to the shop and they told me I could not use after market sensors. OK I said , you order them and put them on. They made a few phone call and said they could not find them . So I went online and found some Denso’s Oygen sensors “$400” , I called the shop and ask them if they would work. They told me Denso sensor’s would work. So I ordered the sensors and brought the car back to the shop to have them put them on. Now I trust this shop “not a Jaguar shop” they have worked on all my cars with zero problems. So they put the Denso sensors on “$250”. Next day I drive the car BAM engine light comes back on. So I bring the car back to the shop. They keep it for a day an tell me the light still is on. Told me to bring it back so they can spend more time on it “no charge for said service”. So I get this flyer in the mail , during this time. There is a shop not far from my work that’s works on nothing but Jaguar’s. So I take my car to them for the engine light. They keep the car for a week , used up ľ tank of gas and install new oxygen sensors. $1,100 for the repair and as of to date the light is off. The short of it is : they told me the old Oxygen where screwed in to tight and they had to reset the computer.

Excuse any typos , I wrote this on the fly.

Thanks

Keith
Sounds like somebody got screwed in the sensors!!!!!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Default A lesson learned , at such a cost

After all that is said and done , I have learned from this costly experience. I will never use after market parts on my Jaguar. And when it comes to any repair that entails any connection to the cars computer, I will only use a shop that specializes in Jaguars.

PS: just had one of my employees wash and wax her , think I will take her home this week. She sure is looking good for an old cat.

Keith