S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifts rough after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission shifts rough after dead battery

I would really appreciate some assistance--my 2003 s type, v6's battery died and now the trans shifts rough and irregular. Driving hasn't corrected anything. Going up hill it makes a groaning sound and shifts up and down. Will the computer system correct itself w/more driving? I am afraid to cause damage to the trans!! Or maybe fluid is low? Just replaced pan and fluid (synthetic). Heeelllpppp.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinumforme
I would really appreciate some assistance--my 2003 s type, v6's battery died and now the trans shifts rough and irregular. Driving hasn't corrected anything. Going up hill it makes a groaning sound and shifts up and down. Will the computer system correct itself w/more driving? I am afraid to cause damage to the trans!! Or maybe fluid is low? Just replaced pan and fluid (synthetic). Heeelllpppp.

Hi there, first things first, what is the current state of your battery? When you said it died, what did you do then?

The following users liked this post:
Platinumforme (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

If you have a properly working battery now (or change it to be one), the PCM will set about relearning engine tolerances (the learning was lost when battery died). If all goes well it will smooth out and then the trans should also be OK. However, it's possible this process won't go well, perhaps a latent fault pops up or something. Post again if that happens. as you'll need an OBD tool with live data (or visit to someone with one)

Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Perhaps tell us a bit more about the timing of the trans service and the battery dying and when things started acting up?? What happened when?

As you probably know it's not that simple to check the fluid level and many people have messed it up including Jaguar dealers.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Red face

@ thebiglad: Hi biglad, I had it charged; it is somehow getting drained. It had been dead for a couple of days.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Perhaps tell us a bit more about the timing of the trans service and the battery dying and when things started acting up?? What happened when?

As you probably know it's not that simple to check the fluid level and many people have messed it up including Jaguar dealers.
Hi, battery was replaced buzz of frequent death. Found leak in trany pan; so replaced it. When little jag was waiting for the pan to be replaced--2 days, battery failed. Was shifting fine b4 replacement of trany pan/fluid.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Platinumforme
Hi, battery was replaced buzz of frequent death. Found leak in trany pan; so replaced it. When little jag was waiting for the pan to be replaced--2 days, battery failed. Was shifting fine b4 replacement of trany pan/fluid.
^bcuz

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If you have a properly working battery now (or change it to be one), the PCM will set about relearning engine tolerances (the learning was lost when battery died). If all goes well it will smooth out and then the trans should also be OK. However, it's possible this process won't go well, perhaps a latent fault pops up or something. Post again if that happens. as you'll need an OBD tool with live data (or visit to someone with one)
What, it may learn to shift smooth????!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Yes, except you now talk about a tranny leak you didn't previously mention. What exactly was done to get the right fluid level after that?

Leaving out important details isn't wise btw.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yes, except you now talk about a tranny leak you didn't previously mention. What exactly was done to get the right fluid level after that?

Leaving out important details isn't wise btw.
I did mention I had to replace the trany pan. The auto techs where I work did the job for me--replaced w/synthetic fluid; 3.5 qts.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM

@ thebiglad: Hi biglad, I had it charged; it is somehow getting drained. It had been dead for a couple of days.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Battery might still be dead, I would examine it closer.

So you're saying the battery died WHILE it was in for transmission service, and once you got the car back, it's been shifting poorly?

What makes you think its the battery, and not related to the transmission service you just had done. Seems like it could be equally likely the transmission service may have caused this issue to come up.

The issue sounds like it could be related to fluid level, seeing you had the pan and fluid drain done. These transmissions are very particular about fluid level, and not many tech's know the proper procedure to fill it back up,

Platinumforme (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Hi GT42R, thank u for your post. I was thinking this problem was a computer related connection, the tranny shifting funny. I just found out that only 3.5 qts of ATF were pumped in. Prob not enuf. We r checking the level at the moment. Mo later.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Hi my fellow cats, the problem w my cat was ATF fluid was low. Thank u so much for being avail in my time of need. Sincerely, Linda.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

That was going to be my suggestion, 3.5 qts isn't enough.
Did they follow the correct procedure this time to ensure the correct level?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Talking

Yes, all good now... I should trust my gut feeling.... But thought I am just the layperson. I have another issue: I had a coolant hose leak which corroded my heater valve, then shorted out my temp. Control module. Things have been good, thanks to your forum and advice to fix the damaged circuit w/a solder pen; but when winter came around, heat does not come out of driver's side very warm at all. Also I have a mystery drain on my battery. At this point, I have shut the driver side vents, and am using the key to lock/unlock the cat, and not set alarm. Requesting your valuable thoughts on these two issues above. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Hate to bring it up but you did NOT see the transmission leak yourself correct??

The reason is our ZF transmissions leak at an electrical connection sleeve. It is so common I would almost say that it will eventually happen to 100% of the cars. A pan leak is not common at all. Plus when the sleeve leaks it comes down and drips off the transmission pan so it looks like the pan is leaking. The sleeve is only $15 but can only be changed after the pan is removed.

So long story but I would really check the transmission sleeve. Also don't use the shop who changed your pan again. They don't know how to fill and check the level properly. Plus you should be using the proper ZF fluid which is NOT synthetic. With your description I still don't feel like they got the level correct but it must be closer to the proper level because the shifting improved.

Lord only knows what else they don't know!!

About your second set of questions. Start another thread, as it is too confusing trying to fix multiple things under the same thread title. Plus no one can find good information when searching if it's buried along with unrelated problems.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM

My cat had a definite visible crack. May have gotten there when my undercarriage shield was breaking loose. Thanks so much for your time.