S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk gremlin discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trunk gremlin discovered.

The day after I bought my S type, i was doing some reading in the owners manual on a few aspects of my Jag and went out to the car to try a few things out. When I went out, I discovered the trunk was open - I wasn't overly happy because it was freezing rain out. I chalked it up to me inadvertently hitting the trunk release button inside the house.

I was out today and pulled over to make a call on my cell phone. While I was sitting there, the trunk opened on its own accord. I thought maybe it had been frozen and that I had hit the trunk button again, and it popped open when it came unstuck, but it did it two more times while I was out.

It also popped open when I pressed the door lock button on the center console twice. I have to read up if it is supposed to do that or not.

I tried pushing the valet button in, but it will still open with the remote trunk button.

It's more than a bit annoying. Does anyone have any ideas why it's doing this? I don't want to be out somewhere and return to find my trunk open and anything inside missing.

Is there a way to disable the trunk so you don't inadvertently open it with the trunk button?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Rob

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spitfire
The day after I bought my S type, i was doing some reading in the owners manual on a few aspects of my Jag and went out to the car to try a few things out. When I went out, I discovered the trunk was open - I wasn't overly happy because it was freezing rain out. I chalked it up to me inadvertently hitting the trunk release button inside the house.

I was out today and pulled over to make a call on my cell phone. While I was sitting there, the trunk opened on its own accord. I thought maybe it had been frozen and that I had hit the trunk button again, and it popped open when it came unstuck, but it did it two more times while I was out.

It also popped open when I pressed the door lock button on the center console twice. I have to read up if it is supposed to do that or not.

I tried pushing the valet button in, but it will still open with the remote trunk button.

It's more than a bit annoying. Does anyone have any ideas why it's doing this? I don't want to be out somewhere and return to find my trunk open and anything inside missing.

Is there a way to disable the trunk so you don't inadvertently open it with the trunk button?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Rob
Haha, nice sig 'JAGS ONLY', that would be priceless.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Our Canadian cold froze something?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Our Canadian cold froze something?
That's possible, but not sure why the center console switch opens the trunk when you press it twice quickly. The manual unfortunately does provide any answers. I'm going to try it again today to see if it still does it.

But the random trunk/boot/luggage compartment opening is a bit of a problem.

Rob

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection or some such. Or damp/wet in the trunk (where the various control modules are).

Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Now that's an entirely plausible culprit. The trunk opening in the freezing rain may have been my fault, inadvertently hitting the trunk release button on my fob. But it's possible that one of the modules got wet in the process. Now where are those modules.... going to have to go searching. Just with it wasn't -16C out right now. Brrrr.....

Rob

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Default Trunk gremlin kicked to the curb

I've located my trunk gremlin and have duely kicked it to the curb! I discovered that when you hit the car unlock button on the key fob, it opened the trunk as well. I also discovered that the trunk button on the trunk itself was actually frozen. I played with it until it came unstuck and voila! the trunk now remains closed.

It's odd though, that a frozen trunk button resulted in the trunk opening each time you unlocked the car.

Oh well, I'm just happy that I was able to firgure out the problem without an expensive trip to the dealer.

Rob

Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

hmmmm, keep an eye on it in case it happens again!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

There are anti-static film sheets that can be installed inside the key fobs over the circuit boards to help prevent situations like this. Both of our fobs had these film sheets installed by the dealer prior to us purchasing the vehicle. We've had no issues with the fobs....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I was going to mention the frozen trunk lid button the other day, but got distracted. I squirt mine with silicone lube now and then, seems to lessen the problem of it sticking in freezing rain conditions. If it is even slightly stuck, I use the key fob to open it instead of forcing the button.