S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Trunk Release

My '06 S Type has locked her trunk and will not open - by fob, dash switch or key. Any suggestions?

The fuel door opens - thought might be a fuse, guess they could be on different circut - will check manuel when I get home but thought someone might have a suggestion. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Valet button in the glove compartment?
I think the black key should still open it with the valet pressed.

The following users liked this post:
Rosemary Johnson (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you - I don't recall seeing a valet button in glove - I'll go look - there is a release to the left of the steering wheel next to the fuel door button.

I tried to manually open with key - felt like it was binding when I tried to turn it.

There is a "sound" when I press the release on the fob or when I push the release button on the trunk panel.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,530 Likes on 3,940 Posts

You don't give your car details but so long as not an STR another way is to just lower the rear seat back. More difficult on an STR but still possible.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosemary Johnson
My '06 S Type has locked her trunk and will not open - by fob, dash switch or key. Any suggestions?

The fuel door opens - thought might be a fuse, guess they could be on different circut - will check manuel when I get home but thought someone might have a suggestion. Thanks!
When you say it won't open by key does that mean you've inserted the key in that hard to spot hole under the trunk lid and have turned it yet it still doesn't open?

Try spraying some WD40 in that hole first, use plenty and wait a bit.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Sorry - '06 S Type 4.2 - there is a dash button to the left of the steering wheel. I've pushed the black release under deck of the trunk lid, the button on the dash, the key fob release button and inserted the ignition key into the key hole under the deck of the trunk lid. When I press the black button or the relase on the fob I hear a sound like there is a electronic connection - but no metalic sound followed by the whoosh sound that proceeds when the lid rises.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM

I'll try some WD40 on the key and see is that doesn't work - it fixes everything right?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM

The release for the rear seats is in the trunk - often hard to pull the release and the seats won't budge till that cable releases them.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,530 Likes on 3,940 Posts

Thanks Norri, saved me saying "misleading - rear seat can be removed regardless of the cable" LOL

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I'll try some WD40 on the key and see is that doesn't work - it fixes everything right?
NO, you're thinking of Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding ... LOL

Windex won't work on this one though. Spray it with the tube inside of the lock. Use plenty and wait a while.

I didn't even know about that key hole until I really, really needed it.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Sorry - '06 S Type 4.2 - there is a dash button to the left of the steering wheel. I've pushed the black release under deck of the trunk lid, the button on the dash, the key fob release button and inserted the ignition key into the key hole under the deck of the trunk lid. When I press the black button or the relase on the fob I hear a sound like there is a electronic connection - but no metalic sound followed by the whoosh sound that proceeds when the lid rises.
Assuming the key inserted into the slot is rotating to it's full degree, have a second person bounce the trunk lid up and down while the key is being rotated. This worked for me once when the lid was stuck.

I know you're joking but WD40 really isn't the best thing going for lubrication or 99% of the other things is it's used for. It can dilute and wash away the oil and grease from objects while getting them 'unstuck' but doesn't provide any long term lubrication or corrosion resistance of it's own. If yours does come unstuck, give it a squirt of a lock lube afterwards, usually graphite based.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Found the valet button - no affect pushed in or out. Tried the key in the slot while pushing down - nothing either. The only item in the trunk is a small gym bag - not much weight or size - so I'm sure there is nothing that has compressed and now keeping deck lid pressure on the mechanism. If it weren't for the spare tire and battery access - I wouldn't be concerned - sort of hate the feeling that if needed - I can't get to them. Thank you for the link to the feed about removing the seat to access the trunk - once in - can pull the big yellow handle inside release for the deck too - might be easier to work than the seat back cables.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Trunk in a Funk

Rosemary,

I recently had a problem with my trunk (still do), and what I do us use the key, turn it and at the same time, depress the trunk unlock button on the remote. Please try that....

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 AM

Thank you - tried that - nothing.... The shop has removed the rear seat - not an easy thing even for them... and pulled the yellow release cable - which promptly detached itself from the car.... so, they had to work from inside the trunk to get to the actuation mechanism. Once they had the trunk open the found the switch was bad - would not open electronically or manually. The part is ordered and it should be installed and back to me by Friday! Thanks everyone for the suggestions - is this a plastic part like what was in the shifter in earlier years... yikes!

The following 2 users liked this post by Rosemary Johnson:
Rober2 (06-27-2024), S-Type Owner (06-27-2024)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was honestly going to suggest WD40... I think its a brilliant product.. or a silicone spray.... either or will do the job.

but push in your button on the boot... whist turning the key... .not your key fob button.. you may need to work the key several times with lube. I wouldnt worry too much personally about the effects of wd40 till after you open the boot... then when its open .. .ensure you have grease or proper lube to replace what is missing... inspect the mechinism and go from there... but if you put the key in... and hold your boot with one hand and use your thumb to push the button whist pulling UPWARD on the boot... than you might see it pop... happened to my friend just today... I got it after a 30 minute struggle.. but I WON!

Old 06-26-2024, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you - tried that - nothing.... The shop has removed the rear seat - not an easy thing even for them... and pulled the yellow release cable - which promptly detached itself from the car.... so, they had to work from inside the trunk to get to the actuation mechanism. Once they had the trunk open the found the switch was bad - would not open electronically or manually. The part is ordered and it should be installed and back to me by Friday! Thanks everyone for the suggestions - is this a plastic part like what was in the shifter in earlier years... yikes!
I heard that if you got someone to pull up on your passenger side and then connected their battery cables directly to your starter which is located in the passenger fender area that you should be able to then just push your unlock button instead of having to go through all the hassle of taking back seats out or going to a shop!

Old 07-01-2024, 02:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
When you say it won't open by key does that mean you've inserted the key in that hard to spot hole under the trunk lid and have turned it yet it still doesn't open?

Try spraying some WD40 in that hole first, use plenty and wait a bit.
NEVER *EVER* use WD-40 on a lock! It leaves a residue that gets gummy/sticky.
There is a lock cleaner spray called 'Houdini Lock Lube' that works very well.
You can find it on Amazon.

Old 07-01-2024, 02:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For future reference, I have had trouble with my trunk lid latch mechanism, but I was able to work around it.
The latch started to fail to latch closed, It appears that the plastic gears in the electrical actuator can lose teeth and jam the mechanism. There is a white plastic lever that does not return to the leftmost position if it jams. This can be pushed back to the left with a thin metal spatula without disassembling the mechanism from the lid. But this is a temporary solution, because the mechanism is damaged and needs replacement.
I found that the mechanism would sometimes jam when the lid is closed, temporarily preventing entry. With the vehicle unlocked, insert the driver's key (with the reduced diameter tip) into the keyhole and try to turn it. If it does not turn, do not force it, just press the unlatch button to see if it clicks or makes a rattling sound. If it does, this clears the jam and the key will now work. Don't try to use the button either on the lid or the fob again, it will likely cause the mechanism to jam once more. Just keep using the key until you can get a replacement latch mechanism.

Last edited by dpasek; 07-01-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Staatsof (07-02-2024)