Sponsored by:

Trying to clone an ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Trying to clone an ECU

I have an OBD II with a USB interface.
I am running EasyOBDII ver. 2.4.0
This seems to work on the S-Type (and other cars)
what I would like to do is to be able to clone a ECU

I am hoping that a member will point me in the right direction.

My questions are:-
A) can I read and save the existing code on an ECU with the above interface (without having to remove the eprom)?.
B) will any of the public domain stuff on ebay enable me to read and write to the ECU? or can someone recommend software to do this.
C) I dont want to mess with codes, simply wipe clean a same model ECU/ECM then re-load it with the original code, in other words create a copy to carry as a spare.
d) does anyone know where the Jaguar code files can be downloaded, I was told that they are kept up to date my Jaguar.

I just tried two ECU,s on my car (long story but it failed to start, and the dealers diagnosed the main ECU need replacing)

Both units were exactly the same in every detail (part numbers, bar-code etc.)
One started the car no problems, the second started the car but returned dsc/abs warning light, that the dealer could not reset.

as the first unit passes the on-board and the dealer diagnostics and all lights are off, I think the first unit needs to be re-programmed.
The dealer said it is because the first unit was a manual/stick-shift and my car is an automatic, but I am sure if the ECU's were physically different then there would be some indication on the labels???
I am sure the units are the same and just the internal eproms are coded different.
My car is a 2005 S-Type 2.7D the ECU's are Siemen SID201 but these questons will cove most cars.

If the internal eprom is read only (cant see that as members say you can flash it) would it not be feesable to replace it with a socketed r/w version??
I would really like to find out more as I feel I am up to read/write and I dont want to learn code.
Stanjag

PS, I am currently in England so if any member need help/advice/parts maybe I can help

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You probably don't want to do it. It will be major pain. You will need a dealer-type tool even to get started.

Your idea of the internals is somewhat dated. Have a good read on here & General Tech forum to get more info.

The PCM is one of the most reliable parts so you're trying to do something very hard to cover a problem that is extremely unlikely to occur.

To program a PCM requires a special voltage that ordinary OBD tools cannot provide (for good reasons - people would destroy countless PCMs on countless cars).

Start by reading the J2534 standard in depth. It's quite cheap from SAE.

Last edited by JagV8; 10-31-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More on ECM

Hi jagV8,
Thanks for the input, I recently had a failed ECM, and that was not the original, while trying to replace I found another that had failed, so my car is on its 3rd unit add the one I did not fit, that makes 4 so I think the siemens version is really not reliable.
As far as I can make out most units have a programable eproms and it really should be quite simple copy from one to the other.
Its very possible that the makers save a few pennies by not useing sockets, so some nifty soldering would be required.
But my point is, thats its possble to reflash the units, via the cables, and all we are talking is a re-flash not a code rewrite or interferance .
I am in the electronics supply business and given the actual eprom part number, they are easy to obtain. And a simple eprom read/write (from China is really cheap, once you know the eprom series).
The tune up guys seem to be doing this all the time, by giving the codes new values, and the must make a copy of the file before they start.
If you think of the eprom as compuer hard drive, its easyier to comprehend the process.
Jagv8, forgive me, because I am probally telling you something you already know.
But you must admit a lot of mystery surrounds modern electronics, and most problems are solved by bolting on a new one at the dealer.
Somewhere the manufactures BIN files exist it would be nice to be able to compare beween models.

Stan

Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I design and write this kind of stuff. The diesel is the only S-Type using that kind of PCM and I haven't had one apart. I would expect it to be similar to mine, which uses SMDs and twin 256-pin Renesas cpus. No eprom, it's flash inside the cpus. Not fun to mess with and have you seen what Renesas charge for dev kits...

The 2.7D prob isn't the same chip as it's Siemens, not a Denso PCM. Have it apart and let us know