S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Lamp?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signal Lamp?!

My left rear turn signal light is out. Anyone know how I go about changing it? How do you remove the tail light assembly?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turn Signal Lamp?!

Basically if you are looking at the back side of the taillight, there are either two or three tabs that you push in and the whole unit comes apart. This exposes they entire assembly that holds the lights. I had to replaced a burned out light and the only place I found that carried the light was Napa Auto parts, so take yourlight with you to make sure it’s the same one.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks. The tabs are around the edges I assume? I took a qick look but didn't see anything. I'll take a closer look after it warms up a little today.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM

I looked again and pushed and prodded some. I was too scared of breaking anything to be too forceful. I could not figure it out.

Name:  rear_light_jag.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  66.3 KB

Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks to 02JagSport for posting the diagrams. I finally got around to removing the tail light assembly and removing the dead bulb. Unfortunetly, Autozone was out of stock on the bulb and I had to order it. It should arrive in a couple of days. I also bought replacements for the other tail lights figuring that if I was going to go to all this trouble I might as well replace all the bulbs. Here is the process:
1. Lift the spare tire cover and remove the two screwssecuring the luggage trim piece
Name:  Step_1.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  112.2 KB
2. Carefully pull the bottom of the trim piece away to pop off the plastic rivets.
Name:  Step_2.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  76.5 KB
3. Remove the luggage trim
Name:  Step_3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  78.3 KB
4.Remove the plastic bolt (it screws off) and carefully pull away the trim piece on the side wall
Name:  Step_4.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  73.2 KB
5. Press the two tabs on the tail light assembly and pull it back
Name:  Step_5.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  65.5 KB
6. You can now gently push the bulb down and turn it to remove it
Name:  Step_6.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  59.7 KB
Picture of the screws, etc.
Name:  Screws_rivets.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  68.6 KB
This is how I did it. Obviously this is not intended to be a how to manual. I just thought it might be helpful to anyone trying to replace the tail light themselves. I didn't find it technically difficult I was just concerned about not breaking anything.

Oh, and if you are like me you'll be appalled at the dirt and spots under that trim! I'll be cleaning that up before putting it back together.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-22-2013)
Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 PM

Update: I finaly got the turn signal bulb. Autozone ordered them for me. I replaced all the bulbs on the left side (there are 4 different bulb types!). Well, the turn signal works now but the brake light doesn't work! I'm going to drop by the dealer tomorrow to see if I can pick up the correct bulb from them to see if that fixes it. Hopefully I didn't break something trying to fix it!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Update again.

Jeez! I went to the dealer and bought a new brake light and tail light for $20. Put them in and still no joy. Now it says the tail light is out and the trunk is ajar, but the turn signal works.I gave up and took it to the dealer. It's there now.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Final update on the saga.

The dealer says a fuse was blown and I damaged the truck open sensor when I removed the truck cover. So $300 bucks later my tail light problem is fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jaguars, but it just sucks that is is so darn difficult to change a friggin tail light!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

ORIGINAL: reddrawf

The dealer says a fuse was blown and I damaged the truck open sensor when I removed the truck cover. So $300 bucks later my tail light problem is fixed.
That's just wrong. Sensor damaged during removal of a cover? Hmmmmm

Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: h20boy

ORIGINAL: reddrawf

That's just wrong. Sensor damaged during removal of a cover? Hmmmmm

^^^^^^ I would have asked for proof? How the frap does one damage the sensor? Where is it located? I still don't get it? You had a blown light, so you replace it and nothing happens, you get new OEM Jag lights and still nothing? Thats when you take it to the dealer and they tell you that you had a bad fuse and you killed your trunk sensor? If you truly had a blown fuse why did your other tailight work? It just doesn't add up...
[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM

I must not have explained myself well. Sorry for the confsuion.

I replaced the turn signal and it worked but the brake light and tail light didn't. I tired putting new bulbs in for the brake and tail light but they did not work either so I went to buy OEM ones. Still no joy.Then the "Trunk Open" mesage started coming on even though the truck was closed. It seemed to all happen at once or at least one after another. I don't see how I could have damaged the trunk sensor but the error mesage was displaying before I took it to the dealer so they did not make that up.

So the dealer fixed it. Then driving that night I discover one of the headlights is not working. These are the brand new headlights the dealer had replaced a few weeks ago. I took the car back on Saturday and today they have it fixed. Soemthing about a bad balast. Anyway this fix was free. I pick up the car in the morning.

I think I've been treated fairly by the dealer, it just gets me that it is so expensive to fix anything on the Jag including a turn signal light bulb!

Still, got to love the Jaguars!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about replacing my back up light and rear turn signal lights with LED's, do you not recommend this because I may also damage the sensor?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Just be very careful removing the cover over the truck latch. I have no idea hw I damaged the sensor as I thought I was being careful!

Good luck and post pictures if you do it!