Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two outside lights in overhead console arent working

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Two outside lights in overhead console arent working

On my 06 STR The two outside lights on the overhead Console will not light up. Before that happened those two lights were stuck in the illuminated condition and it was blinding me on the way to work one dark morning. as I was trying to turn the lights off they wouldn’t turn off and I couldn’t get the plastic covers off because I wasn’t sure where the little things were and I didn’t want to break them. But I after turning the car off and on a couple of times the lights went out but now they won’t come back on. What are the names of those two outside lights? Are they map lights? I tried to list them as a symptom in sdd but I wasn’t sure what the Terminology was for them. Any idea why they are stuck off?

Old 02-16-2023, 05:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Something similar happened to my S when the interior lights would not turn off. Drove me nuts until someone suggested I check the on/off switch of the interior lights. That will be the switch you use to turn the lights on when the engine is off. I left mine in the "on" position, and because it is in a "depressed" state when "on" and "protruding" state when off, it was not obvious to the eye. Mine was in the "on" position, and it all came good when I turned it off.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Rober2
Something similar happened to my S when the interior lights would not turn off...
A rather interesting thread that was. See post #31 for the resolution:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2/#post2584406

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (04-04-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 12:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Something similar happened to my S when the interior lights would not turn off. Drove me nuts until someone suggested I check the on/off switch of the interior lights. That will be the switch you use to turn the lights on when the engine is off. I left mine in the "on" position, and because it is in a "depressed" state when "on" and "protruding" state when off, it was not obvious to the eye. Mine was in the "on" position, and it all came good when I turned it off.
what i wrote here may confuse you, I suggest you read the thread. sorry my memory module is playing up

Old 02-17-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

what i wrote here may confuse you, I suggest you read the thread. sorry my memory module is playing up
I understood what you wrote.

In my case I never touched the switches to turn them on. In my case I believe when you open the car door the three overhead lights in the center overhead console would light up when you open the door. And then when you put the key in the ignition to start the car they would fade out and go dark but on that particular morning the light stayed on as I started to drive away from my house. so I did press the buttons on the overhead console for the lights to shut them off and it didn’t **** them off. The switches didnt do anything

I got about quarter mile down the street but the light blunded me in the pick black so I had to pull over else crass on a turn (I really couldnt see crap with the lights on).

I sat there pushing buttons turning switches and tried to take off the lense covers to remove the bulbs but I didnt have a tool so I stopped before breaking it. I had pulled over on this curvy back road and was in a dangerous spot so I managed to truck off to a nearby side road and I continue to try to turn the light off. No matter what I did it wouldn’t go off but then out of the blue they went off and they haven’t come on since. And I still haven’t taken the lenses off because I’m really kind of a brute taking those plastic covers off. I would probably break the tabs on them prying at the wrong spot.

But in order to troubleshoot this I need to know what the lights are called on the somatic so I can trace out the circuit. Are they called courtesy lights or map lights or something else

Old 02-17-2023, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
...Are they called courtesy lights or map lights or something else?
I believe those are called map lights. See figure 09.1 here, showing two individually switched lights in the roof console.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2006on.pdf

I am slightly confused, though. If those lights are manually switched off, it doesn't appear they can be controlled remotely. Figure 09.2 shows additional interior lights. The only other light I'm seeing in the roof console is the LED mood lamp. However, when the mood lamp is activated, I believe it also automatically plays the following over the stereo:

Quite a handy feature, if you ask me. I don't know why more cars don't have this.

Old 02-17-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
when the mood lamp is activated, I believe it also automatically plays the following over the stereo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

Quite a handy feature, if you ask me. I don't know why more cars don't have this.
🤣🤣Blast! Mine doesn’t do that. Perhaps I’ve got the base model. When I want mood lighting, nothing happens and my car just gives me the silent treatment. It must be a female.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
I believe those are called map lights. See figure 09.1 here, showing two individually switched lights in the roof console.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2006on.pdf

I am slightly confused, though. If those lights are manually switched off, it doesn't appear they can be controlled remotely. Figure 09.2 shows additional interior lights. The only other light I'm seeing in the roof console is the LED mood lamp. However, when the mood lamp is activated, I believe it also automatically plays the following over the stereo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

how bizarre they call the LED a moof light! lol what about the big light in between the two outside map lights? Is that tyhe LED light?

Im going to go take a look right now.

There must be a short to ground that blew out something bc the switches definitely didnt work when they were stuck on

Old 02-17-2023, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well I’m glad I didn’t try to pry that lens off the overhead console because it doesn’t come out by pulling it down it has to go up in order to get out of the plastic frame.

So what I found out is the two bulbs that are in there are good. the switches that control the light appear to be good (by sound. I havent ohmed them yet because the connections are hard to get too). little bit of corrosion on the terminals for the lightbulbs but I don’t see that being a problem. troubleshooting is ongoing

some pics