S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unresponsive ECM on a 2003 S-Type 4.2L s/c (Fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagman1984
I read the bulletin 1-186 Issue date: 11/04 - Great stuff in here, confirming some of my suspicions about the VID block.

I reinstalled the original ECM. Then checked the VID block - no communications with the ECM.

I started the IDS/SDD (software level DVD128) session with my Mongoose JLR (a SAE J2534 device) disconnected from the vehicle. Then I input the full 17 digit VIN and hit enter, based on the VIN it initiated a Legacy IDS session. I then answered no to the question, "do you wish to read the configuration from the vehicle", this forced IDS to retrieve the "as built" VID from the hard drive (a tip I garnered from the info in the bulletin). I checked the descriptions listed for equipment level and accepted them as correct. The IDS then prompted to read DTCs, I answered no and then at this point connected the IDS/Mongoose JLR to the car.

Now with a charger connected to the car set for 13.0V, I initiated a "Configure Existing Module" routine and selected the Engine Controller. I followed the prompts until communication failed out, and the IDS eventually prompted the "Rectification Procedure". Now I have performed this rectification procedure on this module before with no joy, but thanks to the bulletin when the time came to disconnect the negative battery cable I shorted together the two cables while they were disconnected. After the prompt to reconnect I followed the onscreen prompts as presented and ended up with a reported successful reflash! Still no start though, so I initiated the "Immobilisation Reset", and viola the car fired up! Next I initiated the report on all the vehicle control modules and happily the ECM was reorting the correct VIN. You have no idea how happy that made me!

I then successfully programmed the TCM to address the P0610 code. All I need to do now is perform the Transmission Adaption Routine.

I then repeated the ECM Reflash/Rectification routine on the other locked ECM, and successfully recovered that one too!

So, in closing, I learned that the VID block is very important to get right. That connecting the cables together during the disconnect portion of the "ECM Rectification" is necessary to succeed. Finally I learned never to flash a Transmission Control Module when the VID stored in the ECM is incorrect!

Thanks for your help, I hope my summary makes good reading!

Cheers
Brian
I would imagine this situation is very rare but I ended up in it. Same situation, no comm on 2 ecm. I followed your directions and after almost 30min of flashing it completed. This is the most valuable information I've found on this forum. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (10-05-2019)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do ya'll think this would work on my problem with the lack of communication with my cluster and ecm?

Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Have you followed the workshop manual?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I read the bulletin 1-186 Issue date: 11/04 - Great stuff in here, confirming some of my suspicions about the VID block.

I reinstalled the original ECM. Then checked the VID block - no communications with the ECM.

I started the IDS/SDD (software level DVD128) session with my Mongoose JLR (a SAE J2534 device) disconnected from the vehicle. Then I input the full 17 digit VIN and hit enter, based on the VIN it initiated a Legacy IDS session. I then answered no to the question, "do you wish to read the configuration from the vehicle", this forced IDS to retrieve the "as built" VID from the hard drive (a tip I garnered from the info in the bulletin). I checked the descriptions listed for equipment level and accepted them as correct. The IDS then prompted to read DTCs, I answered no and then at this point connected the IDS/Mongoose JLR to the car.

Now with a charger connected to the car set for 13.0V, I initiated a "Configure Existing Module" routine and selected the Engine Controller. I followed the prompts until communication failed out, and the IDS eventually prompted the "Rectification Procedure". Now I have performed this rectification procedure on this module before with no joy, but thanks to the bulletin when the time came to disconnect the negative battery cable I shorted together the two cables while they were disconnected. After the prompt to reconnect I followed the onscreen prompts as presented and ended up with a reported successful reflash! Still no start though, so I initiated the "Immobilisation Reset", and viola the car fired up! Next I initiated the report on all the vehicle control modules and happily the ECM was reorting the correct VIN. You have no idea how happy that made me!

I then successfully programmed the TCM to address the P0610 code. All I need to do now is perform the Transmission Adaption Routine.

I then repeated the ECM Reflash/Rectification routine on the other locked ECM, and successfully recovered that one too!

So, in closing, I learned that the VID block is very important to get right. That connecting the cables together during the disconnect portion of the "ECM Rectification" is necessary to succeed. Finally I learned never to flash a Transmission Control Module when the VID stored in the ECM is incorrect!

Cheers
Brian
I've used your guide to success on flashing a few ECM's. I'm stuck on a Config F, Ive tried using your guild to reflash the ecm 3 times now with no success. the vehicle starts and runs but the Config F stays on. I'm running out of idea's.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
I've used your guide to success on flashing a few ECM's. I'm stuck on a Config F, Ive tried using your guild to reflash the ecm 3 times now with no success. the vehicle starts and runs but the Config F stays on. I'm running out of idea's.
Looks like you should try the right forum.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Config F

Originally Posted by 03Xtype View Post
the Config F stays on. I'm running out of idea's.
I had this problem few times and always resolved after erasing all DTCs, removed the key for 30 seconds, and re-scanning the DTCs.
Hope this help!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Realise that this is resurrecting a very old thread (but an incredibly informative one) but here goes:

CONFIG F is saying that there is a mismatch on the module programming. A normal 'clear codes' is unlikely to help (but I'm willing to be proved wrong). What is required is a re-flash of the 'bad' module. In all of the lists I've seen F is missing but I was reliably informed that it is the FEM that is at fault. You would need to re-flash the General module(s) to cure it.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Car details? Definitely same as the thread (03 STR)?

What led up to the fault?

Old 01-31-2019, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Turns out it's an XJ!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...denied-213409/

Please would any future posters use the right forum!!

Also, CONFIG F doesn't appear to be an S-Type thing at all.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 AM

Note I was replying to th-s (old) thread posted in the s-type section regarding 03xtype query. This error is generic across a wide range of jags of this era.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Do we really need an old thread resurrecting with more irrelevant and misleading stuff - no.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 AM

At the risk of upsetting a veteran member.
I came across the thread via a google search as it pertained to my issue on my 2003 X350 so age of the thread is not relevant here, nor is model, as the information is a lot newer than my motor. What is relevant is that these cars throw up messages and google searches bring the threads back alive because of that, they are therefore not 'irrelevant'. The methods described here have a direct bearing on how the diagnostic tools are used, across cars with similar electrics.

Previous searches (a few years ago) turned up no hits for the CONFIG F message so I figured I would put in my 2 pennies worth regarding the message in case any other desperate soul found the thread only to be dashed on the rocks of despair when no answer or direction was forthcoming.

@mods: If this is inappropriate please delete.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Well all I wanted (with what was meant to be a final post) was to be sure that if a bad web search brings someone to this wrong thread (*) they will see it is the wrong thread and as they won't have an S-Type they should immediately go elsewhere.

I still want that.

(*) oddly when I search it takes me to sensible threads for such as XJ cars, which DO have this fault on occasion - this thread wasn't even on the first page of results

Last edited by JagV8; 01-31-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers
Brian
Exactly what I am faced with at the moment. I pray for my success

Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello!
I was with a X350 4.2L with transmission fault, Restricted performances BUT no DTC on the transmission!! The only DTC was if I remember well P1643 no communication between TCM and ECM. (some time with this Can bus error too with ABS or Instrument cluster.
When I was starting, if I was needing to pull the accelerator the car was going in limp mode and was fixed in gear 3. If this was happening after few meters, the transmission was going in gear 5 (no light on the J gate etc.) So, I drove one year in gear 3 in city, gear 5 on speedway!!
I tried the ABS connector, Instrument cluster connectors, then controlled the can bus, I also connected the TCM can bus directly to the ECM bypassing the connector, changed TCM oil, verified level few times, reseted the TCM adaptation, etc... always the same! I tried to change the Valve body for another rebuilded, still the same problem! As the problem was CAN bus communication, between TCM and ECM I changed the valve body + TCM coming from another car and installed them in my car! Same problem again!!
Finally, I found why the transmission was jerky and limp mode and no CAN bus communication. It was exactly what I was meaning since few times.... ECM Torque signal fault. It was the ignition coils!! I changed all my coil, and my car worked normally!!! Big power, no can bus fault, no misfires etc. A new car!! Reason I was meaning, was when exiting from my underground box I was needing more power, so pedal going down and ... voila! communication fault, gear 3 or 5 blocked, no lights on the J Gate!
So, I was thinking the ECM is sending a Throttle position sensor which is like big acceleration, because as he coils was not firing correctly, the Transmission was thinking I needed big power!!
So, in conclusion, if the J-gate (sport button flash or stay fixed when you turn the key) or you have the Can bus error between the ECM and TCM then Limp mode etc. look at your coils, candles etc... principaly if you have DTC with misfires. Hope this could save money and time to many peoples with transmission problems!

I must say, that in the past I changed my ignitions coils few times, but no original coils, some aftermarket. Transmission worked one week / 2000 kms, then failed!
Now I bought more expansives coils from LUCAS (www.rld-autos.com) 57,48 €
and I have my 300 HP and transmission very smooth!
So, be carrefull of ship Ignitions coils....

Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Wrong forum.

And it's very well known not to buy cheap coils - lost count of the number of times this has been posted.