S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT HELP window

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question URGENT HELP window

I drove my children today to a birthday party and my wife met me there leaving me to drive back home. I had the window down and then put it up (obviously) when parked. I came back to the car started it up and went to put the window down. "Clicking is all I hear" It was working Perfectly before that. No signs of motor failure etc. What should I look out for. I tried even with my key fob to have all windows and sun roof open, everyone worked apart from that drivers door.

1999 S type Petrol 3.0

If anyone can offer advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Jon.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK- I had this happen, and I might be able to help you. The part that you need is cheap and plastic, but I think it might have to be ordered. I'll do a search under my threads and get you more info... in the meantime, relax. It can be a cheap enough (DIY) fix.

Here is the link to my OP: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...estions-77432/

But Norri led me to an awesome how-to by Gus: http://www.jagrepair.com/WindowRegulator2000SType.htm

Please read all of the posts on my query. All of them were very useful.

Last edited by space0matic; 03-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jonrms (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 AM

Thank you for a quick reply. Those 2 links are most interesting. I thank you very much and I will have to have a good look. I have to say that working with windows is my nemisis. I think even though I just bought a motor for it thinking it was that... and I have a new switch for the top because 2 bulbs had gone out I might bring it into my local garage.

Things are mounting up. being a old car now and all..... I need this sorting, I need the handbrake switch replacing (I have it) and I need the ashtray latch replacing (also have this part) not to mention popping off my two front tyres and replacing them. And finally the fog lamp mount is hanging down into the tray below. bulb still works but not sure why it came off.. I suspect its broke. ahhhhh oh well I might see.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jonrms
I have to say that working with windows is my nemisis. I think even though I just bought a motor for it thinking it was that... and I have a new switch for the top because 2 bulbs had gone out I might bring it into my local garage.
I'm right there with you! Off the top of my head, I know that I need to fix the gas door (external- where you fill it up) it won't close, and the lighter socket doesn't work even with replaced fuse(s). Just got the brakes done, so that's something, right?
Doesn't it feel sometimes that if there is a higher power, then he/she/them/it HAS to know our weaknesses, otherwise why keep messing with the things we hate to be messed with the most- in your case, windows?
I have a few of those things that drive me nuts, and I try to avoid them at all costs, but they keep popping up. One of mine is dealing with Ohm's Law. Everything that goes wrong in my life requires that equation- and sometimes it's hard to find one of the variables on any given troublesome part I'm attempting to fix. In this day and age, you would think you wouldn't even need it.
Now, philosophers and most likely mental health professionals would argue that because we hate them so much, we notice them more; thus, such 'targeted' problems are nothing but our imaginations emphasizing them. The stuff that conspiracy theories are made of, if left to run amuck.
I say, they are out to get us.
But then again, I bought a Jag. Everybody that buys a Jag secretly says to themselves, "Oh, come on. How bad/unreliable/etc., could they be? All those people must be exaggerating!" or (cringing) unlucky. So, like it or not, aside from the pro mechanics on these threads, or the folks that live for a challenge, the rest of us (I mean me) took a leap(er) of faith and argued themselves into getting one anyway. I would never admit it to anyone outside of this group, but I knew I was tempting fate and logic in every conceivable way (under my personal circumstances) to choose to buy one.
In the end, the winning argument in my head was, "You had this same chance before (about 10 years ago, the same option presented itself) and you chickened out. Are you going to deny yourself everything nice in life just because it presents a risk? Tsk, Tsk. Chicken."
What I don't get is how BMW's manage to stay reliable....

jonrms (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Replace the window motor and regulator - order the replacement window motor/regulator assembly from a 1999 Lincoln LS. Very easy removal/install. Search the forum. Try www.rockauto.com with Discount Code: 9DC0F890080F Good Luck

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
jonrms (03-10-2013), space0matic (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 AM

There are strings in that system!!!! I can see it now.. first time assembled and the glass shatters.... Today I might.. pop the door card off.. I want to replace the switch anyway.. there are two bulbs out.

I am thinking it could also be electrical connection due to a recent off road trip... which caused the front fog light backing to come off with bulb and sit nicely on the tray beneith. So I wil have a good look today... The brakes are going in the garage.. I am not risking my life.. I would have 10 years ago done them myself with confidence.... but 10 years plus on and being a clinical paramedic yada yada yada..... I realise some things in life are not worth a gamble!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 AM

PS for those who just questioned what I just said... what would you do if you have a auto. went to stop and couldnt.

some think neutral. some say slam it down the gears then neutral... some say hand brake

I know the answer.. been there done that and bought the Tee shirt..... happened on route 8 in Ct usa. where I am from.. (now live in england uk)

but when the time comes... can you honestly say you will make the right choice?

PPS FFS do NOT turn off your engine!!!!

space0matic (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I fail to see the relevance. A window stuck UP is hardly in the same category.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I fail to see the relevance. A window stuck UP is hardly in the same category.
There wasn't any attempt at relevance. If you're looking for a definitive linear thought process that accompanies forum conversations about repairing automobiles, safety is always relevant.
As a paramedic and a Jag owner, he is in a specific position to know.