S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used parts 05 stype

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used parts 05 stype

My 05 stype 3.0 has a possible faulty climate control module (display). The dealer wants $1600 just for the part. May have to try some other avenue. My question... who's a reliable parts house that might have a used module. I realize this is a gamble but it's one I might have to take. Still hopeful for a loose conection or something simple but thought I'd ask...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Try www.car-part.com The site is a searchable auto recycler and most will ship parts. A number of us here have used the site with no problems.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Wow! Holy crap! Rick is correct on that site... I've used it and like it a lot.

BTW.... Has your car had the DCCV valve replaced? I ask because I have a theory...
My dealer did not give me a root cause for why module started to fail. If you do a search on the site you will find that when the DCCV fails it sometimes causes a short that burns a circuit in the module. It usually causes the module to stop working, but I think it did just enough damage on mine to make it "flash" like it did yet continue to work. Funny thing is when my DCCV failed it just started to seep and didn't have any of the weird climate control issues that usually are symptoms of failure.

So, if you do a good search or look in the FAQ section you should be able to find the instructions for a DIY repair for the module. Faced with that kind of cost that is where I would go first. Nip it early before the climate control stops working...

Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Adding to Jeff's comments: it seems as though the DCCV and Climate Control Module have cascade failures. When the DCCV goes, it usually burns out one or two circuits of the Climate Control Module. That 's what happened to my car last year and both parts were replaced under warranty. I assume your S-Type is out of warranty though.

Here is a link that shows how to repair the Climate Control Module. Note: it recommends replacing the DCCV along repairing the module.

If you do a search of DCCV, you will likely find a ton of posts on this. Seems to be a common failure.

Hope this helps,

Mike

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...control+module

Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Wow! Holy crap! Rick is correct on that site.
At least I am correct on something around here!

BTW nice follow up for the possible causes for the control module to fail Jeff and Mike. (no more thumbs up smilie)

Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
At least I am correct on something around here!

BTW nice follow up for the possible causes for the control module to fail Jeff and Mike. (no more thumbs up smilie)
Rick,

I did a search on Heater/AC Control (I assume that is the right part) and no luck anywhere in the US. I got the part request screen. My guess is that this is a high demand item. Failing the DIY repair option, finding a salvage yard that has the part might be a bit of a challenge.

East Coast Auto Source might have something in stock since they have 3 wrecked S-Types, 2000-2001. I have no idea if the control modules are the same as the 2005s so one may need to check with a Jag dealer for compatiblity.

http://www.ecoastauto.com/

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by carelm
East Coast Auto Source might have something in stock since they have 3 wrecked S-Types, 2000-2001. I have no idea if the control modules are the same as the 2005s so one may need to check with a Jag dealer for compatiblity.

http://www.ecoastauto.com/
The dash changed in 03, so that won't work. The funny thing is I think a control module out of an 04 and up XJ would work. They look exactly the same except for the gloss black finish...

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

The dash changed in 03, so that won't work. The funny thing is I think a control module out of an 04 and up XJ would work. They look exactly the same except for the gloss black finish...

Hi Jeff,

You might be right..they do look the same. I did a search on the car-parts.com site Rick recommended and there are a lot of heater/ac controls available. Prices run at between $150 to about $300 and please call. Some were relatively local to SoCal. Also, I opened up my S-Type search window to include post 2005 S-Types and found some. Cheapest was about $175 up to about $650. It might involve some shipping or driving though.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM

You guys are awesome, this site amazes me. Read Justin's link on repairing the module... am now researching DCCV I thought mine was working correctly but I'll find out. Was feeling pretty down and alone last night couldn't sleep worrying about $this$ and this morning brings new hope. THANK YOU!!

DB

Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Dirk Bailey
You guys are awesome, this site amazes me. Read Justin's link on repairing the module... am now researching DCCV I thought mine was working correctly but I'll find out. Was feeling pretty down and alone last night couldn't sleep worrying about $this$ and this morning brings new hope. THANK YOU!!

DB
Awww, shucks, you're welcome... It's what we do...

Well, that and make silly jokes, and argue too... Just like a happy family..

Oh, I just noticed in my previous post... Carelm must have his own radio station.

(hint.. Look at the radio display in the picture... LOL)

Just keep us posted on what you're doing and what you find...

Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Awww, shucks, you're welcome... It's what we do...

Well, that and make silly jokes, and argue too... Just like a happy family..

Oh, I just noticed in my previous post... Carelm must have his own radio station.

(hint.. Look at the radio display in the picture... LOL)

Just keep us posted on what you're doing and what you find...
Jeff,

It's called "Rants of a Grumpy Old Man". I'm entitled since I'm over 52, the official cutoff for being grumpy.

Mike

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by carelm
Jeff,

It's called "Rants of a Grumpy Old Man". I'm entitled since I'm over 52, the official cutoff for being grumpy.

Mike
It must be a popular program since the dealer has it as a pre-set (P5) on their car for sale.... LOL

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Wow! Holy crap! Rick is correct on that site... I've used it and like it a lot.

BTW.... Has your car had the DCCV valve replaced? I ask because I have a theory...
My dealer did not give me a root cause for why module started to fail. If you do a search on the site you will find that when the DCCV fails it sometimes causes a short that burns a circuit in the module. It usually causes the module to stop working, but I think it did just enough damage on mine to make it "flash" like it did yet continue to work. Funny thing is when my DCCV failed it just started to seep and didn't have any of the weird climate control issues that usually are symptoms of failure.

So, if you do a good search or look in the FAQ section you should be able to find the instructions for a DIY repair for the module. Faced with that kind of cost that is where I would go first. Nip it early before the climate control stops working...
The car has not had the DCCV replaced, the A/C is working perfect, it's just that intermitent flashing display that has me bugged. It's an 05 stype 3.0 with 39,000 miles. I'm unaware of any leak on the ground but I'm going to put it up on the ramps tomorrow and investigate. One reply thinks it's the DCCV that causes the CC module to fail.... if that is true and I'm not leaking from the DCCV and my A/C blows cold from all outlets (like yours) what am I to think regarding the CC module. If my CC takes a dump I will attempt the repair first then the used part second. That same control head runs from '03 to '07... I think
-db

The beatings will continue until moral improves

Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I think the theory with the DCCV is that one kind of pre-failure is it draws excessive current (which actually means it's a failure - but you can't tell without measuring the current).

Whether that can lead to the flashing.... no idea.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Hold on there!

The climate control comes in 2 versions: one where the module (ACCM - you can Search on that) is built in and the other is Remote, where the panel is basically just switches and the module is separate, connected by a cable.

No shock: you need the right one.

I don't know which is which but for space reasons the remote is probably used when the sat nav scren is fitted. Anyone confirm/deny?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Hi Dirk,

First thing the DCCV: It is very common to fail. It can fail in many ways, like JagV8 has said. I noticed mine had failed when I saw a dried orange/pink crusty residue on the top of it. I had no indication of coolant dripping. My climate control also worked fine. I just noticed it while servicing the car and going over it. A practice I highly recommend since I feel I just simply caught it before the main symptoms were shown. Inspection is easy on the 3.0. It is located down by the radiator on the passenger side. It will be a plastic valve body with hoses running into it and a metal cap. A quick search will get you a picture or two.

As for the module. JagV8, again, makes a real good point. If you look at the nav cars, they do have totally different control buttons then the base car. When posting the picture of the XJ8 control panel I was basing that on an assumption that it is a non-nav car. Please let us know if it is or isn't nav equipped.

Here is a picture of the Nav center stack... Note the small remote climate control buttons....

So, if you are looking for a used part be sure to ask if it is a nav equipped donor car or not.. My guess is if they are listing a separate control module, that it isn't.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Jeff and Jag,

You're both right about the remote box for the nav. Mine is without the nav. Checked ebay and the other website, there are tons of x-type and J something climate controls but very few late model S's. But if it looks like the 05 (non nav) display it's the one. I'm a little ahead of the gun on this, seeing how it's worked all the time and has flashed only a few times. l'm monitoring my display... when it happens and when it (flashing) doesn't. Thanks for the DCCV info checking into that this am. Thanks for the photo too.

db

remember..."the beatings WILL continue until moral improves"

Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM

My DCCV looks dry and clean as a bone? I havn't the tools or know how to check the electronics but it just maybe working fine, since all vents all blowing cold.

db

Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Dirk Bailey
My DCCV looks dry and clean as a bone? I havn't the tools or know how to check the electronics but it just maybe working fine, since all vents all blowing cold.

db
Silly question.. How long have you had the car? Also, I don't know how many choices you have for dealers, but mine lists the control unit for the climate control for $909.50 / $1,070.00 list.. So, $1,600.00 seems like an awful markup...

I ask because age seems to be the killer for the DCCV, not mileage. Quite a few low mileage 05's have had it replaced on here alone. If you are not the original owner, it may have been replaced once already. If it was done under warranty, a service history may tell you.

If it all looks OK though, and everything works, I would keep looking for an inexpensive control unit and just put it on the shelf until you need it. Unless, the intermittent flashing drives you nuts (it would for me) then once you find one, just replace it and try to fix yours.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Here is one out of an XJ8.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Ja...Q5fAccessories

Another XJ8: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-09...Q5fAccessories

Wow.. Another XJ8.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07...Q5fAccessories

If this was me... There are a few from XJ's listed.. The only difference I can see is that the facia is gloss black. I would buy one from the XJ and look at taking the facia off and switching it for mine..

Quick Reply: Used parts 05 stype