S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Useless Features

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Useless

Sport mode button - my V8 has adequate power and torque to pull me out of anything in normal mode
Rear sun shade - never understood the need for it
Automatic steering tilt and seat on ignition start/shutdown - I'm not that fat to require assistance to get in and out of my car

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Part ID

"Any chance you can post the part number for that rubber liner?"

According to my notes, the fitted rubber liner for the center ashtray space is XR852172. It's called a "Mat-Rubber". It cost me about $15 special ordered at the dealer. It's an exact fit liner including back and sides.

The dealer had never seen one either and wasn't sure what that part was so they didn't make me pay for the special order in advance.

I also bought a plastic outlet cover for the lighter socket (with a little power cord graphic on it). That was a stock item and I don't have that # written down. But it's not the same one as inside the console armrest bin.

According to the sticker, my 06 included the "Smokers Package". I don't smoke. I imagine perhaps that without that option, cars may have been delivered with the rubber instead of the ashtray??

Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Useful but useless

Originally Posted by Mikey
I often wonder how many people use all three garage door opener buttons.
Well I would like to use them (all 3) but I can't get them to work. Homelink says they work only for openers from 1982 on. My house was built in 1982. With 3 reliable but off-brand openers made in Taiwan. When following the Jag/Homelink website programming instructions I get LED confirmation of correct programming but the openers don't respond.

The manuals for the openers (and their ID plates) don't tell me what frequency they use. And there's no trace of who made them.

So we'll see which lasts longer - the openers or the car......

Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hehehe I feel your pain Jon and Mike, they are called ashtrays not garbage trays, lets see how many gum wrappers I can cram in and watch my hubby try to get out!

I personally like all the features so far when I drive Joyces Jag. I have long legs and the auto seat back works great for me. My coffee cup holds about 10 cups of joe and fits nicely into the larger cup holder and after the coffee comes the Pepsi in a coozy that fits snuggly in the little one. The auto on headlamps do suck for us anyways, here in SC if its raining it is required to burn headlamps. As we all know they don't come on like that, small price to pay! Eventually we will be using all 3 homelink buttons as we are opting for a gated yard and driveway soon.

Pictures anyone??? Ha!!!
My wife does like to smoke like a chimney in the car so not only do I have to clean out the ashtray, the car reeks for several days. Then it's taking out the various water bottles, paper towels and the like. The other problem is that she's 5'2 and I'm 5'10 which means I have to re-adjust everything (no memory seats).

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I like all the features on my 03 STR. I leave my lights on Auto all the time and use the sunglass holder everyday. Since it gets dark around 4:30 or 5 in the winter and isn't light til about 8:30 or 9 as well, the auto lights come in handy when you are too tired to remember to turn them on, and since I don't need sunglasses all the time either, they just stay in the holder until they are needed. About the only feature that is kind of usless for me is the auto seat/steering wheel adjusting on power on/off. First of all, my wheel adjusting doesn't work properly, keeps losing a bit of its memory each time it auto moved around, and I don't have the seat and wheel adjusted close anyway since I'm 6', so I don't turn it on. Although the two times my wife drove the car I forgot I had it turned on, so when she adjusted everything (she is only 5'3) then turned the car off, she was caught off guard! Kind of funny to see! She asked me if my car was a transformer! I used everything else, even jag voice, with the exception of the dash dimmer switch. Why would you have it set to anything other than full? Also, I like the two same sized cup holders. I'm not much of a 'Super Size Me' kind of guy, and they hold any size of my Tim's coffee so its fine by me!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgewa
My house was built in 1982. With 3 reliable but off-brand openers made in Taiwan.
You certainly got your money's worth from those!

My point with wondering about the three openers is that most people put their cars back in the same spot each time. I have no real need to open the doors where the other cars and toys have their homes, they all have their own openers.

I suppose a person could play Let's Make a Deal and see what's behind doors number 1, 2 and 3.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Monty, I'll take Door Number 3 and hope I get the lovely Carol Merrill....

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

lol Jon, my luck I would get the goat!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

....or Jay and whatever he has on his table....

Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As previously mentioned, my wrap-around sunglasses don't fit in the holder, but I wouldn't call it useless just because I don't use it. I use the auto-lights feature, I like the lights staying on for a little bit after I exit the car. I use the auto-adjust feature just for the "wow" factor. The auto-wipers are useless to me because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how fast they run.

Not on my Jag, but those stupid speed limit signs they post everywhere are the most useless feature.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

The other cars on the road between 8 and 8:30. My ride to work could be so much more enjoyable.

I really don't have anything else to add other than the 2 sizes of cupholders. I use most everyday the features built into the car.....auto closing windows, seat, pedal, and steering wheel adjustments, the digital suite (climate control, navigation, bluetooth, audio...all under voice control). No wait.....I don't use everyday but did this morning...the electric windscreen defroster.

Me...I'm a happy camper.

Eric

Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi tbird6. The adaptive cruise is a great feature, if you drive one with it you'll love it.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Adaptive cruise was TERRIBLE on my Infiniti FX45, if i was on the highway and the road was turning left, and if there was a tractor trailor with reflective siding in the right lane, it would reflect back to the sensors and apply the brake.....even though it was in the lane next to me. This happened on multiple occasions, and not just with tractor trailors. it was pretty disturbing. I dont have that on the Jag, but if it is a similar system with similar results, I AM ALL SET!

Useless:

1) Sunglass holder.......honestly what is this thing made for child sunglasses? NONE of my Oakleys, aviators or any other pair that i have fit in this thing. Dissappointing.

2) ashtry...i smoke occasionaly int he car, but would never use the ashtray. Should be just a flat "catch all" for cells, wife's trash, sunglasses, wallet etc.

3) Limp Home Mode...I hate this feature, or the sensativity of it, and please dont reply back saying that "all cars have it now, and if we didnt have it the power steering would go out etc...." i get it, still hate it.

4) Moving headlights...seems like nothing but potential problems ahead, and cant tell while driving if they move or not.

5) Adjustable brake pedal

Great Features:

1) DSC: works fantastic, except when you want to blow a ricer of the line
2) Sport mode, and J Gate, both work pretty well, just wish the J included 1st gear!
3) 4 window automatic up and down
4) multi position steering wheel
5) Navigation. works very good except there is no "beep" when you should turn, just a "turn soon' from the lady with the British accent.

Thats all i got for now...

Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my ash tray... it is good for left over change.

The following users liked this post:
chefjim (01-18-2015)
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Do you mean you'd rather have no limp home or want it less sensitive? And do you want it to let you wreck your engine or to cut out completely?

In case you see it as too sensitive.... what experiences (or other data) make you think so?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Do you mean you'd rather have no limp home or want it less sensitive? And do you want it to let you wreck your engine or to cut out completely?

In case you see it as too sensitive.... what experiences (or other data) make you think so?

Too sensitive.

Data: Driving on highway at 75MPH (3 times) and gets thrown into limp mode due to TPS sensor, and/or moisture entering it. A simple check engine light would suffice. TPS sensor malfunction would not wreck my engine, only provide me with a great chance of getting slammed from behind by a vehicle travelling at highway speeds as i am trying to cross 3 lanes, decelerating, while attempting to get to the breakdown lane.

My opinion and experiences on this has been well documented on this forum from all the threads of people having the same exact issue as me. If it happens with a TPS sensor Im SURE it can/does happen with some other kind of non-catastrophic issue.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like at most jag need a tweak to the PCM software for the specific case where the TPS goes weird. (Granted, now the car's out of production that may be unlikely.) Of course, the throttle body's not ever supposed to let moisture in so the current software will have been specified on that basis. If (it's a big if) jag corporate have been made aware of this issue then maybe they'll fix it - but probably only in cars actually in production.

I think I'd be as sore as you if (when?) it happens to me. I recall Jon89 had something similar.

However, they can't just go for the MIL (CEL) idea. As well, they'd need a way to figure out fuel (because it's based on air) when there's no trustable TPS (which tells them what air is or will be better than MAF I think). I reckon they could estimate it a bit crudely from MAF. And if there's no TPS then they don't know how open the throttle plate is (except via MAF). So as you move the accel pedal and the PCM commands the throttle motor they need to wait an age to see if MAF changes in a way that suggests the motor did in fact move where they wanted it. It's gonna drive VERY weird not to say dangerously. Dunno if it would be as bad as what happens now. An out of control control system is never gonna be good. hmm, if you brake they need to command the motor to shut the throttle somewhat and again wait for a MAF change a long time later. I wonder what I've overlooked...

This will be really bad on an STR. Jon's is a 3.0, though.

hmm, does TPS tell them better than MAF or what? Er, why do they need TPS? My brain hurts LOL

Last edited by JagV8; 11-27-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sounds like at most jag need a tweak to the PCM software for the specific case where the TPS goes weird. (Granted, now the car's out of production that may be unlikely.) Of course, the throttle body's not ever supposed to let moisture in so the current software will have been specified on that basis. If (it's a big if) jag corporate have been made aware of this issue then maybe they'll fix it - but probably only in cars actually in production.

I think I'd be as sore as you if (when?) it happens to me. I recall Jon89 had something similar.

However, they can't just go for the MIL (CEL) idea. As well, they'd need a way to figure out fuel (because it's based on air) when there's no trustable TPS (which tells them what air is or will be better than MAF I think). I reckon they could estimate it a bit crudely from MAF. And if there's no TPS then they don't know how open the throttle plate is (except via MAF). So as you move the accel pedal and the PCM commands the throttle motor they need to wait an age to see if MAF changes in a way that suggests the motor did in fact move where they wanted it. It's gonna drive VERY weird not to say dangerously. Dunno if it would be as bad as what happens now. An out of control control system is never gonna be good. hmm, if you brake they need to command the motor to shut the throttle somewhat and again wait for a MAF change a long time later. I wonder what I've overlooked...

This will be really bad on an STR. Jon's is a 3.0, though.

hmm, does TPS tell them better than MAF or what? Er, why do they need TPS? My brain hurts LOL

Ya sore subject, mine actually happened before Jon's. My only point has ever been, the Limp home mode is necessary but the sensitivity of it tripping for non-catastrophic issues is unacceptable and EXTREMELY dangerous. Maybe not a huge deal if your driving down barren country roads, I drive on highways in boston, which ups the ante.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidz
As previously mentioned, my wrap-around sunglasses don't fit in the holder, but I wouldn't call it useless just because I don't use it. I use the auto-lights feature, I like the lights staying on for a little bit after I exit the car. I use the auto-adjust feature just for the "wow" factor. The auto-wipers are useless to me because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how fast they run.

Not on my Jag, but those stupid speed limit signs they post everywhere are the most useless feature.
My thoughts exactly!

Most useless features:

1. 121 mph speed governor (2003-on Jaguar V6 and V8 models)
2. DSC/Traction Control/ABS - In normal driving, you don't need this garbage. There is no difference in accident rates in cars with ABS versus without.
3. Delay off headlights.
4. The small cupholders.
5. Illuminated vanity mirrors (not enough light) Plastic covers fall off..

Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

1. wow, what's the limit there now?
sure musta changed since my last visit

Quick Reply: Useless Features