S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 engine swap to v8/v12 2005 S-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for advice! now any good websites/ people that are selling the str?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Well Adam, do your due diligence, read, read and do more reading. I would check the forum classifieds here:
PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
or the good ole stand by:
www.ebay.com
There is always your local dealer if you really feel like getting whacked!

BTW I am sorry if I came off as being a pompous, over posted dick of a member here, but you would have thanked me in the long run!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

This is one of those dream projects that will cause more heartache and grief than any real enjoyment.

If you're even asking these questions, you're not prepared to see the project through yourself. That means you have to pay a professional/shop to do a conversion on an obscure platform. Even if a shop was willing to take on such a task, that's going to take 6-to-24 months to complete at least. A few thousand saved up isn't going to cut it in a scenario such as this. depending on how thorough of a build you want, even the most basic running swap would run you $10k+, a clean build would likely be $30k... you can spend $100k doing a pretty radical build with a shop, don't kid yourself!

The bottom line is, you can buy an S-type R for dirt cheap nowadays. With an STR you get R suspension, R brakes, R wheels, R interior, R body kit, etc, so even a 3.0L with an exotic engine swap, would still be lacking many of these distinctive and sporting features. With an STR, you are getting a decently high performance sedan, that doesn't need to have a highly qualified speed-shop, re-engineer the whole thing... instead you have immediate enjoyment, and no headaches of basically an impractical one-off hotrod project...

I swear, only times i see these "idk guys... I can't really afford an STR, but want to engine swap/turbo my 3.0L"... posts, I know its likely some teenager, with a hand-me-down S-type from his family, day dreaming about ways to build this luxo-barge into a sleeper... Little do you know, you should be learning the art of basic wrenching, and spend the time money and effort merely keeping an S-type maintained and running...

Last edited by GT42R; 11-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GT42R:
joycesjag (11-12-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-01-2014), MatthewAdan (11-29-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GT42R
This is one of those dream projects that will cause more heartache and grief than any real enjoyment.

If you're even asking these questions, you're not prepared to see the project through yourself. That means you have to pay a professional/shop to do a conversion on an obscure platform. Even if a shop was willing to take on such a task, that's going to take 6-to-24 months to complete at least. A few thousand saved up isn't going to cut it in a scenario such as this. depending on how thorough of a build you want, even the most basic running swap would run you $10k+, a clean build would likely be $30k... you can spend $100k doing a pretty radical build with a shop, don't kid yourself!

The bottom line is, you can buy an S-type R for dirt cheap nowadays. With an STR you get R suspension, R brakes, R wheels, R interior, R body kit, etc, so even a 3.0L with an exotic engine swap, would still be lacking many of these distinctive and sporting features. With an STR, you are getting a decently high performance sedan, that doesn't need to have a highly qualified speed-shop, re-engineer the whole thing... instead you have immediate enjoyment, and no headaches of basically an impractical one-off hotrod project...

I swear, only times i see these "idk guys... I can't really afford an STR, but want to engine swap/turbo my 3.0L"... posts, I know its likely some teenager, with a hand-me-down S-type from his family, day dreaming about ways to build this luxo-barge into a sleeper... Little do you know, you should be learning the art of basic wrenching, and spend the time money and effort merely keeping an S-type maintained and running...

Amen brother amen!

I still don't understand the idea that adding a shot of giggle juice to an STR should be poo poo'd especially since there is no documentation that there is a "tune" available to you guys.

The following users liked this post:
MatthewAdan (11-29-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

They made performance kits for Vegas, too.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tony1963
They made performance kits for Vegas, too.
With the giggle juice?

God I despise the quote on post!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:46 PM

What year would you recommend on the str? I saw an 07 for 15k i more than likely plan on buying it. Any comments or input?

Old 11-30-2014, 05:44 PM

American Motors had terrific marketing, too.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Adam, I got my STR from eBay 3 years ago. Go for an '05 (last year of big Brembo brakes + a few other improvements), hopefully 1 owner, 50-70k, full service history, no accidents and body in top shape. Price in range $11000-15000.

Even then, you'll have your hands full in year 1 bringing it up to scratch. The mods already mentioned may add another 25-40 hp, but if it's big power you're after, forum member Avos is (maybe) completing a twin-screw s/c package for the STR that will add 100-200 hp, depending on the size of your budget!

MatthewAdan (12-03-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Newer is better. But in the case of an STR, it can come down to personal preference.

2003 and 2004 STR's cars were pre-facelift, and some prefer the styling.

2005 was facelift, which had such goodies as the new gauge cluster, aluminum hood... Last year with brembo brakes. Arguably the best year of the STR.

2006 and later dropped brembo brakes; remained mostly unchanged otherwise,

In terms of production numbers, 03 and 05 are the most common.

MatthewAdan (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Adam, I got my STR from eBay 3 years ago. Go for an '05 (last year of big Brembo brakes + a few other improvements), hopefully 1 owner, 50-70k, full service history, no accidents and body in top shape. Price in range $11000-15000.

Even then, you'll have your hands full in year 1 bringing it up to scratch. The mods already mentioned may add another 25-40 hp, but if it's big power you're after, forum member Avos is (maybe) completing a twin-screw s/c package for the STR that will add 100-200 hp, depending on the size of your budget!
Thank you! Definitely will get an '05! Now the search begins hopefully i can find one in the Northern/Central California area.

Newer is better. But in the case of an STR, it can come down to personal preference.

2003 and 2004 STR's cars were pre-facelift, and some prefer the styling.

2005 was facelift, which had such goodies as the new gauge cluster, aluminum hood... Last year with brembo brakes. Arguably the best year of the STR.

2006 and later dropped brembo brakes; remained mostly unchanged otherwise,

In terms of production numbers, 03 and 05 are the most common.
Thank you for the input! I truly appreciate it! And can not be any more thankful!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:46 PM

They had big block engine kits for AMC Pacers too.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that with today's complexity in vehicles it's no longer just swapping in more displacement like it used to be (a shame, IMO), but if the guy really needs to make his existing ride into the monster it wasn't when it left the factory, he might be able to pick up a donor write-off and start swapping components. Actually buying the parts individually would be impossibly expensive. The nice part about buying a donor car is you can see where everything is and where it needs to go when swapping over. Still a huge job, but people do crazy stuff all the time for reasons known only to them.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Adam, just in case you're looking...

Jaguar s Type R | eBay

Apparently, the seller will accept $15000!

MatthewAdan (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Adam, just in case you're looking...

Jaguar s Type R | eBay

Apparently, the seller will accept $15000!
Thanks, will definitely check out!

Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I am catching up on postings and ran across this one and though I should chime in. I am still slowly working on my LS3 Swaped S-type as time merits.

My curent attitude about swapping a different engine into late model Jaguars is:

Before you start the mechanical installation, completely plan out what you want to do electically. Since all new cars are CAN based, and the ECMs and body contol modules are typically unique between cars, you need to decide what level of functionality you want the car to have. You can put in stand alone harness to get the engine and car to run, but then you may not have any other electical sub-system of the car be operations. ABS, traction control, Dash board and instrument panel, power windows and door locks, sun roof...

Mechanically, swapping an another engine is straight forward and relatively easy. But late model cars are highly integrated and once you change the engine and trans it affects the rest of the car's sub systems. Being mechanical oriented, I underestimated the scope of the electrical swap. My work sutuation changed when I was about 50% into the electrical, and I haven't had time to focus on getting the car running.

After I purchased my project car, A little over a year later I purchased an 04 STR, and then 6 months ago I purchased another 03 STR with a blown engine. I've been putting what time and exta money I have towards requilding upgrading and rebuilding the 03 engine.

Therefore, as others have stated, unless you have deep pockets, a really good plane and lots of time, go out and purchase a good running STR.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tijoe:
joycesjag (12-13-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-15-2014), MatthewAdan (12-19-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I very much doubt that the project is achievable in the first place. First of all comes the electric bits- if you change the engine it would mean to replace almost all of it. It wouldnt be a problem if you swap 2.5V6 for 3.0V6 but an STR engine... Also you may have to change some suspension components.

MatthewAdan (01-09-2015)