S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 4.2 Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation V8 4.2 Intermittent Starting Problems

My 2003 4.2 V8 S-Type has started to suffer with intermittent starting problems.

Sometimes it will turn over for ages and not start. It can take 3-4 attempts before it actually starts.

Could this be related to the fact when it went to a independent Jaguar service dealer that they used all the fuel and left well below empty when I collected it?

It normally will only do it the first time it is started that particular day. Once started the first time it doesn't do it again.

Gradually over the last month or so it is becoming a little more frequent.
  • Start motor?
  • Fuel Pump?
  • Fuel Filter?
  • Cold weather?
  • Non Varta battery?
  • Not realising its in Park?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by tech.advice

Sometimes it will turn over for ages and not start. It can take 3-4 attempts before it actually starts
  • Not realising its in Park?
You can safely rule that one out. If the computer doesn't think the transmission is in N or P, it won't let the starter engage.

The following users liked this post:
tech.advice (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does this also and weather does not seem to be a factor . Its done this before when its 90+ degrees out. I did not see that you had started this thread, it is very similar to mine, however it seems to have the same symptoms.

I'm reluctant to take it to the Jag dealer ship because it is intermittent and they are going to charge you even if they don't find anything .

Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I had this on my first Jag an 01 S type 3.0. Not sure if the result is the same with newer post face lift cars. My problem was the fuel pump. It acted like yours for quite some time. It got worse as time went on and required more cranking to start. Eventually the fuel pump gave out while the car was on the road. Fortunately it was near home and some nice people helped push it off the road. Still not a fun day.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-09-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
I had this on my first Jag an 01 S type 3.0. Not sure if the result is the same with newer post face lift cars. My problem was the fuel pump. It acted like yours for quite some time. It got worse as time went on and required more cranking to start. Eventually the fuel pump gave out while the car was on the road. Fortunately it was near home and some nice people helped push it off the road. Still not a fun day.
Many thanks. I think it is the fuel pump. Its only really started doing this since it was run extremely low on fuel by a independent Jaguar service engineer. It only did it once or twice before this. He left me with approx 12miles!