S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valuation question (premium to book)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Valuation question (premium to book)

This marks my first post on the S-Type forums...there are two in mom's garage that were previously purchased by my dad. He passed last fall but had been active in both JCOH and JCNA for many years.

Of the two S-Types he had, one was in the daily driver category and mom thinks she has a buyer lined up for that one. However, the one that has both of us stumped is how much of a premium to book a multiple Best-in-Class (Driven) winner should command. Clearly a car that was routinely a 99 or 100 point vehicle is beyond what most books contemplate when they discuss "Excellent" condition. It is a 2000 and, as I recall, was Best in Class six consecutive years. Obviously records will be available.

We also recognize that some people simply won't care about such things but that a Jag afficianado is apt to be more attentive to. At the same time, we don't want to price it out of even that market...

Any insight would be appreciated...

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

you can go off of NADA value then subtract for wear and tear......Jags do not hold value very well im afraid... although for me . im driving a $60,000 car for a fraction of its sticker....

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

You haven't provided forum members with any real pertinent information about the car other than stating it is a 99 out of 100 points. Lets us know if it is a V6 or V8, the mileage on the car and other pertinent details. Then I am sure you will receive lots of advice.

Even if the car has very low mileage and sat in a garage its whole life, all the rubber parts age over time and many lines and hoses may need to be replaced. If the car has a 4.0 V8, It has Nikasil cylinders and the early crappy timing chain design.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

First, you're right, many prospective buyers won't really know or care about the concours score, per se. But the scores are a nice selling/marketing point and the car is presumbly in superb cosmetic condition....justification for a higher asking price.

How much? I dunno. Add 10% to the highest book price and see what kind of responses you get? <shrug>. You can always go lower, after all

A Jag fan will naturally be drawn to an exceptional car and will generally pay at the high end of the scale.

OTOH.....

A high JCNA score says virtually nothing about the mechanical conditional of the car. A Jag lover will know this. You'll have to rely on other records to prove that all services and repairs have been tended to.

A Jag fan will also likely know that 'driven class' is a lower standard than championship class....and, in fact, JCNA scoring/judging is at a lower/more lenient standard than many other major clubs. Not trying to minimize your father's efforts but I suspect there isn't as much 'wow factor' to the high scores as you might be thinking. No offense intended here.

I guess what I'm saying is that the condition of the car will speak for itself....and speak more loudly than the JCNA scores. I wouldn't hang my hat on the idea that the scores *themselves* justify a higher price.

Others will chime in with other viewspoints.

Sorry to hear that your dad passed away.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Even if the car is worth 10% extra, this might only mean a few hundred dollars in price. Pre-2003 S-types are considered by many to be less desirable.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Good luck but as you know the S Type can hardly be given away at this point. Maybe as the years go by the STR's will become collectable but other S Types just don't seem like they will have any value regardless of condition.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>the S Type can hardly be given away at this point

But the interesting thing is that the fact is only known by two groups of people: them's that's try'n ta sell (bad) and them's that's try'n ta buy (good).

To everybody else it's "WOW, what a **!!CAR!!**, you must be doing really well to drive one of them" (good, good, good).
================================================== =
You dreamed of big star, he played a mean guitar...
He loved to drive his Jaguar
So welcome to the machine

The following users liked this post:
Rimmer (03-05-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I am sorry for the loss of your father. With 2 such vehicles and other Jaguars in the stable was he a member here?

I have to agree with the others that have posted, the crown jewel will not be worth much more than blue book or even that, I am sorry to say. Its really a shame for such a vehicle regardless of model or year.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Agreed. 2003-and-newer S-Types carry little demand these days, regardless of condition. 2002-and-older S-Types carry even less demand due to having more design flaws than the 2003-and-newer models did. Sorry, but that's simply reality....

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

It's really a matter how fast do you want it to sell?

Want it gone in a week, price it low.

Price it like the museum show-piece you describe it to be, you'll likely be waiting a long, long time for that buyer. Believe it or not guys, there are still some crazy enough jag enthusiasts out there that value this sort of thing and would still pay top dollar for what they see as a "pristine" example. I've met plenty of them at jag and british car shows...

And somewhere in between of course.

Engine, Year, miles, colors, is info we need to give you a more specific idea on what its worth.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I am sorry for the loss of your father. With 2 such vehicles and other Jaguars in the stable was he a member here?
Thnx to you and others who passed on the condolences.

TBH, I haven't even looked to see if he was in the members list...I know he was on at least one Jag-related board though.

At the moment, we are basically a four-cat family between the two garages, what with the 2000 and 2001 S-Types and the 2003 XK8 (that I am now driving) plus the 2003 X-Type manual I just acquired.

I have to agree with the others that have posted, the crown jewel will not be worth much more than blue book or even that, I am sorry to say. Its really a shame for such a vehicle regardless of model or year.
Yeah, we knew values are practically nil to begin with (one of the reasons I took the XK8 instead of us trying to sell it not to mention being one of the reasons I was able to get the deal I got on the X-Type).

In response to the various comments, all of which ARE appreciated, it is the 8-cylinder and is sitting around 110K miles. Seafrost Green. Was not his daily driver, as he elected to use the 2001 S-Type and the XK8 for the local running around, but by the same token, it was not just a garage queen (and was NEVER a trailer queen).

Most records are possessed from day one, and I think it was one he got when it was just a few years old. I just tried to check one of the databases for the title date but discovered mom already flipped it from the estate into her name. Service was always performed at a Houston-area Jaguar dealership that he forged a good relationship with through the years.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM

Not sure if it really makes any difference on a few of the comments and opinions, but I did get a correction from mom that it was not the Driven class but rather Championship class. He just tended to be known for actually DRIVING the car to the events instead of trailering it...something that was also recognized during a brief speech by the incoming JCOH President at the banquet last month.

The one that DID have some awards in Driven sold yesterday (that was the 2001).