S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vapour canister and blow up valve location

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapour canister and blow up valve location

My dad bought my mom a 2001 Jaguar S Type 300 car. It's been hesitating (stuttering to me) and he's already done some general maintenance on the car with no resolution to this issue. He thinks it is the EVAP Canister and blow up valve (?) possibly called a vent control valve. English is not his first language so sometimes it takes a bit of detective work to figure out what he's asking me to Google. He's changed all filters, spark plugs and engine coil was changed.

Any help on finding where these parts are would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

It'll get very expensive to guess. Are there no (OBD) codes?

If not, I'd check fuel trims to see if there's an air leak.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 PM

Well for my dad to do the work he saves money. He just doesn't know where in the engine to find he canister and valve. Not sure what a OBD code is but he's not using anything to analyze the car. It feels sluggish when you push on the gas and he's going one by one through what he knows might fix it. The other stuff needed to be done as maintenance. Now he's picking off stuff one by one. He's good with engines and machines but he needs a picture or schematic to point out where to find stuff sometimes.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Your dad is trying to apply old school 50s and 60s technology and methods to a modern day car. It rarely works out, except by blind luck. Better odds playing the lottery.

If the check engine light is not on, then it's almost certainly NOT the EVAP canister or any part of that system.

OBD codes are stored in the car's computer and give solid clues as to which system actually has a problem. Takes most of the guesswork out and saves lots of money otherwise wasted by the hunting and pecking method. Codes readers are quite inexpensive and pay for themselves the first time used.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Your dad is trying to apply old school 50s and 60s technology and methods to a modern day car. It rarely works out, except by blind luck. Better odds playing the lottery.

If the check engine light is not on, then it's almost certainly NOT the EVAP canister or any part of that system.

OBD codes are stored in the car's computer and give solid clues as to which system actually has a problem. Takes most of the guesswork out and saves lots of money otherwise wasted by the hunting and pecking method. Codes readers are quite inexpensive and pay for themselves the first time used.
My dad is 72 years old and no one can tell him he's doing anything wrong. I can't change his way of thinking and if he wants to do this old school that's his time and money he's wasting. He saves money on mechanics so we don't complain. Actually I think he had a code reader, I remember setting something up on the computer for him once. But who knows where it is or if he ever figured out how to use it. The check engine light is on but then its been on for a long time, lol. He will not pay anyone to do something he feels he can do himself. All I need is a diagram or picture pointing out where the canister and blow up valve is or even someone just telling me where it is so I can tell him. I can usually find diagrams or YouTube videos online showing what he's asking for so he assumes I should be able to find this as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Or maybe someone can look at this diagram and tell me if it's #5 or another number on there. He thinks its #5. Maybe also what some of the other things are so he can find landmarks pointing where he should look.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

#5 is the regulator for the EGR valve (#1), neither of which has anything remotely to do with the EVAP system.

Being 72 years old around here means that many other members get to call your dad 'sonny boy' or 'kid'.

Last edited by Mikey; 10-17-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to the forum JagsDaughter,
Don't forget your intro in the new members section.

Have your dad take a look at the attached PDF.

Sticking a pin in the manual is not a good solution for fault finding on these vehicles, you will find people more willing to help if you can provide the symptoms codes etc to allow them to give educated advice.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

He could buy a quite cheap (maybe $20) tool and find what codes are stored.

Or download the whole workshop manual and guess what to change but if he has no change from $300 or even $3000 don't be surprised.

I'd defend his right to spend his $$$ and work any way he likes, but I wouldn't defend it on my $$$.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

These cars contain multiple computer systems that rely on dozens of sensors located throughout the car, including ignition, braking, HVAC, transmission etc. These cars (and most modern cars) are electronically complicated. They require a fully charged battery for all these sensors and computers to function properly, so tell dad to fully charge the battery.

In addition, Jaguar redesigned the S-Type in 2003, so many parts used in the 2001 will be incompatible with 2003+. Therefore, before troubleshooting and throwing parts at the problem, dad must know in advance the last 6 characters of the VIN so he doesn't buy the wrong parts.

Also, as JagV8 said above, encourage him to invest in a code reader that is OBDII compliant (or buy him one for his next birthday), as these readers will allow him to zero in on where the malfunction actually is, and will thereby shorten the time and frustration of troubleshooting and minimize the expense of repairs.

In addition, search this forum for the JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog) download; it is an essential tool for the DIYer when shopping for parts - again, it requires knowing the car's VIN.

The cost of parts can vary dramatically from supplier to supplier. Jag dealerships tend to be extremely expensive, and online parts suppliers will generally be the least expensive - even genuine Jag parts are available online, usually cheaper than the local dealership. A handful of parts suppliers advertise on this forum; they all seem to be reputable and would be a good place to buy parts. Some even give a discount to Jag Forum members - just ask for it.

The repair manual is available for free download on this forum too, as well as a reference manual called ALLDATA, and a list of the OBDII codes and the possible fixes for them. These are also considered essential tools for the DIYer, which most of us on this forum are.

Hope I didn't confuse or overwhelm you. I think most of us want to see your mom and dad enjoy their S-Type. Knowing how to troubleshoot and repair these cars efficiently and economically will determine whether their car is a joy or a miserable money pit.

Kudos to you for helping dad out!
Good luck, Steve

Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Try getting your dad one of those handheld, self contained obd code readers. That way
there is no dependence on a computer other than the one inside the unit itself. It just
connects directly to the vehicle obd port and your dad follows the menus.

He will eventually need it to clear the codes anyways.