S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette & Jag People

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Vette & Jag People

I've been thinking about this and the other thread about getting a tune made me decide to post.

After some consideration and searching, I recently picked up a totalled 99 Corvette convertible. Some of you know that Laurie's S-type was aquired in the same manner. Her car turned out to be much more of a cremepuff than this Vette but that's another story. Lets just say I have some work to do.

The observation I have made is the difference in attitudes about this. I'm basing it on my experiance here and on the Corvette Forum. When I mentioned the S type here there was genuine interest and I posted up a thread with the progress of the project. I have recieved many compliments both here and from members we met in person. When I mentioned this on the Vette forum, the general responce was...The car is junk and I'd never own it. These guys don't even want a car if it has an accident showing on a Carfax let alone what I do. I get the feeling that if they soil a pair of trousers, they toss them in the garbage and get a new pair.

So anyway, I'm just glad this place is the way it is. I think there is a lot of concentration on DIY repairs to save the cars and keep them running. The other guys seem to focus on the mint originals and stay away from anything else. Lots of posts on wheels and mods but when it comes to body damage, stay away or get rid of it is the attitude.

BTW, I find it ammusing that an older model is treated differently. For example, a 67 Sting Ray could be pieced together from parts in 5 states and be perfectly accepted and drooled over. But a C5 is in a fender bender and it's junk.

Thanks for letting me rant and thanks again for the interest in the S Type rebuild.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bodyman:
deancantrell (08-05-2014), joycesjag (10-08-2011), The Chris X (10-09-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Thanks Jim, and I for one have missed you since you became a Vette reconstructor . Welcome back buddy!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Hell Jim forget them. Post up the progress on here. I for one like resurrection threads so I'll enjoy it even if its not a Jag. Always nice to see the progress of any car brought back from the dead.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Hell Jim forget them. Post up the progress on here. I for one like resurrection threads so I'll enjoy it even if its not a Jag. Always nice to see the progress of any car brought back from the dead.

Right on!!! Especially Jims work! +1

Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

That will be cool....work and post away! (haha) I would more than love to see the progress you make resurrecting that vette.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

+1 on the Vette reconstruction thread idea.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Go for it Jimmy! We're here for ya. R U going to mod or keep the Vette stock?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

They're probably jealous that you can do stuff like that. Their loss.

I guess the mods will find you a place to post - "off topic" maybe?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Thanks for letting me rant and thanks again for the interest in the S Type rebuild.

What you've posted hardly quallifies as a rant :-)

Over the years I've belonged to many different car-hobby forums. More than a few times I've been put off by what I read. Some people (not all, fortunately) take themselves, their cars, their opinions, their loyalties, their advice, and the hobby itself wayyyyyy too seriously.

I'm glad this place is the way it is, too.

Good luck on the project.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  19.3 KB

Please feel free to share it here Jim.....it will be one to look out for I'm sure if the S type resto was anything to go by....

Please post it into the Non Jaguar vehicles section

Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I'll subscribe! I get a kick out of seeing stuff salvaged from disuse or the the "throw away pile" and turned into a work of beauty and function. Probably stems from my high-school years when I went searching for someone to sandblast my 1946 ****** CJ-2A and ended up with a job, instead. BUt whatever the reason, it gives me jollies to see stuff restored to its former beauty or even converted to a different but useful function when it was previously considered "junk."

Now....for the gumption and time to get off my **** and "just do it" with that 30 yr old CJ out in the garage instead of sitting around watching Jim get stuff done!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not upset but just found it amusing the difference. I've seen threads here where someone unfortunately had an accident with their Jag. The responces are along the lines of "sorry to hear that" "glad you are OK" "Hope the repairs go well" Over there it's more like " Get the insurance to total it" " You can go buy another one" "I wouldn't want it once it's been damaged"

Anyway, as usual, there is other work to do first. But that's what pays the bills. I'll be keeping a photo journal and would be glad to share. I won't be keeping a tally on prices with this one. I over paid for the car from the start cause it's exactly what I wanted and evidently another bidder felt the same. So I have resigned myself to the fact it's a toy I wanted and one more thing I'll never make money on.

Someone asked about mods. It has a Corsa exhaust on it already which sounds really sweet. Also a cold air intake that I haven't decided to keep or not. I picked up a set of C6 chrome 5 spoke wheels for it since it needs tires anyway and I wanted to upgrade to the 18-19". Other than that I just want to put it back to as close to new as I can. Car is pretty much loaded as a 99 goes. Active handling, F45 adjustable suspension, Memory column and seat, Full power sport seats on both sides, Bose sound system ect. Not near the bells & whistles of Laurie's car but hey...it's just a Chevy.

I'll start a thread in the other cars forum. You guys are great.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM

New thread here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...rebuild-61870/

Thanks again for the interest.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

I believe one of the reasons that seems to tie most of us together here on the S-Type forum is the concept of bang-for-the-buck. We all know that buying a pre-owned S-Type (which the vast majority of us did) fits like a glove into the bang-for-the-buck category. Your philosophy of finding totaled vehicles, regardless of make/model, and bringing them back to life goes right to the head of the bang-for-the-buck class. And that's a big reason why you continue to find the support and encouragement here that you enjoy and appreciate. So pay no attention to the men behind the curtain over on the Corvette forum. Your talents are much more appreciated here....

Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been thinking about this and the other thread about getting a tune made me decide to post.

After some consideration and searching, I recently picked up a totalled 99 Corvette convertible. Some of you know that Laurie's S-type was aquired in the same manner. Her car turned out to be much more of a cremepuff than this Vette but that's another story. Lets just say I have some work to do.

The observation I have made is the difference in attitudes about this. I'm basing it on my experiance here and on the Corvette Forum. When I mentioned the S type here there was genuine interest and I posted up a thread with the progress of the project. I have recieved many compliments both here and from members we met in person. When I mentioned this on the Vette forum, the general responce was...The car is junk and I'd never own it. These guys don't even want a car if it has an accident showing on a Carfax let alone what I do. I get the feeling that if they soil a pair of trousers, they toss them in the garbage and get a new pair.

So anyway, I'm just glad this place is the way it is. I think there is a lot of concentration on DIY repairs to save the cars and keep them running. The other guys seem to focus on the mint originals and stay away from anything else. Lots of posts on wheels and mods but when it comes to body damage, stay away or get rid of it is the attitude.

BTW, I find it ammusing that an older model is treated differently. For example, a 67 Sting Ray could be pieced together from parts in 5 states and be perfectly accepted and drooled over. But a C5 is in a fender bender and it's junk.

lol you hit the nail on the head with this one!

until a few years back when I drove a friends supercharged C6 i was never a corvette guy at all, they all drove like trucks to me. however i instantly fell for the c6 and love them.

as well the main turn off was most corvette people. boring old guys who put cheap looking extra chrome n **** on it like a 70s pimped out cadillac. they drive them like a cadillac too never going fast lol

then the next point as well they oogle over some old POS thats hacked together and has horrible paintwork and runs like **** but god forbid you have some paintwork on a new one or its instant garbage.

ive had 5 corvettes, all C6s and 4 of the people I sold them to were great to deal with and like us. the other 1 falls in the a-hole category lol

thats my rant on corvette people

Old 10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Hey!!! I've never owned a "vette and there's no "e" in ahol!

ALMOST bought one from Brian Pender in AOCS in 1984, though. He and his wife had their first child on the way and the corvette had to go. 1967 silver w/black convertible top. 327/ 4-spd. $5500. Kinda wished I had, now....

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-09-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: put in # of gears!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1

ALMOST bought one from Brian Pender in AOCS in 1984, though. He and his wife had their first child on the way and the corvette had to go. 1967 silver w/black convertible top. 327/ spd. $5500. Kinda wished I had, now....

Ain't that the truth. There is always the one you should have kept or bought. My dad had a 67 Austin Healey 3000 that I talked him into trading in on a 69 Roadrunner. If only you knew then what you know now.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

As an owner of an old(er) Corvette and as a poster on the Corvette Forum also , the poor reception the 'rough shape' jobs get and absolute contempt for other brands is more than just in the C6 section. Don't get me going on the 'numbers matching' foolishness. Where's the 'barfie' smilie when I need it

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad you got the thread going on here Jim! You gotta include the story about going to pick that sucker up!

When he's done, this car will look better than new, and those other Vette dudes will be jealous.

Jim you trying to win 2 classes at the Corvette's and Jags at Linden Hall next year or what???

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1

ALMOST bought one from Brian Pender in AOCS in 1984, though. He and his wife had their first child on the way and the corvette had to go. 1967 silver w/black convertible top. 327/ 4-spd. $5500. Kinda wished I had, now....
I let one like that get away in 1981 or so. I was stationed in Killeen TX and a used car dealer had a blue 67 big-block tri-power with the knockoffs for $7,000. At the time I thought it was too much money. Dummy!!! I have noticed a distinct difference between the Vette daily driver crowd and the numbers matching crowd.

At any rate, good luck Bodyman on your latest project.

Quick Reply: Vette & Jag People