S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette & Jag People

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I owned a Corvette years ago and it was my dream car. Even today after selling the car 5 years ago I frequently visit the Corvette Forum and it has been great to me. If I have a question on anything someone there knows the answer. And even after selling the Vette and buying an Infiniti G35 they were accepting of that.
On the rebuild issue maybe it has something to do with the speeds and handling that a Vette needs and attains with some (most?) drivers? I know I drove that car totally different than I do my S Type.
To each their own. Jaguar Forums has been great to me too.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Vette people are funny like that. They can be a pretty snooty bunch for people that drive plastic cars.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

I had been a regular on the Corvette Forum since 1995 (when I bought my C4) until I sold it in 2008 and still visit there on occasion. Within a particular section of the forum like the C4 section, folks all pretty much get along congenially and are also generally well-informed and helpful. Across the generations (C4, C5, C6, etc.) there is some usually good-natured teasing and sometimes it gets a little heated. Consequently folks typically stay in their group.

I have to say though that the snootiest forum I visited was Bimmerfest or one of the other BMW forums. I spent some time on those while I was briefly considering getting a BMW after the Corvette. I also spent some time on the Infiniti forum but that was a bit too much rice for my taste. I was also recently spending time on the Hyundai Genesis and Acura TL forums to help decide a replacement for my wife's 2000 TL. The Genesis group seems okay but a bit defensive about buying a Hyundai and both the Genesis and Acura forums are, naturally, a bit rice flavored.

I discovered this forum back in 2007 when I was researching whether or not to take a chance on a used Jaguar versus a new BMW or Infiniti to replace the Corvette and found the guys here to be just the right combination of pleasant, sarcastic, helpful, and welcoming.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this thread is basically a decade old, but I happened to come across it and as someone who has been a Vette owner for 4 years (first a C7 stingray and now a C7 Z06) and just recently got a F Type for winter driving, it's nice to see other vette owners on here. I have to one HUNDRED percent agree with the OP. My Z06 has been in an accident. Just cosmetic damage. Not structural or mechanical damage. No airbag deploy. Just hydroplaned on the interstate and did a little mud bogging in the median for a couple hundred yards. Didn't hit a thing. I tried to trade it in for the jag as well as just sell it. No one would touch it with a 10 foot pole. It's ridiculous. If you look on the for sale/wanted forum, you'll see people looking for complete creampuffs and wanting to pay peanuts for them. "Looking for a 2017+ Z06 fully loaded with < 5k miles, no accidents, all maintenance records required. Will pay 40 dollars. 42 if the engine block is signed by Tadge" That's slight hyperbole, but you get the point. So, I'll just be a little poor for a while and keep both. One thing I will say about the Vette forum (and vette culture in general) vs the F Type is that it's FAR more mod friendly, as I'm discovering. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of mods for the F Type and it's tough to get people to hop on board and give advice/help on here. The Vette forum, people are a little TOO helpful. Anyway, OP if you're still around, I feel your pain. Vette owners/buyers are snobs when it comes to accidents. If anyone out there is considering buying one and doesn't plan to keep it for at least 10 years, don't buy one that has an accident on the carfax. you won't be able to resell it.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Its a bummer that the OP hasn't been here for a long while. Jim (bodyman) did a fantastic rebuild of his wife Laure's S Type. I would have liked to see his vette project but alas, Jim rode off into the sunset.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 695 Posts

I missed this thread as it was just before I joined the forum. I've been into restoring classic Corvettes for quite some years. Finally got an NCRS "Top Flight" last fall on the latest project so very proud of that. But the Corvette hobby is large and quite varied with 7 generations over 67 years, from the die-hard NCRS folks who prefer unrestored barn-finds regardless how horrible they look, to those like me who enjoy restoring them, to the Corvette Forum guys who begin excessive modifications as soon as the warranty runs out, to the guys who buy cheap old beaters to race, to the ones who trade up frequently, never owning one that's out of warranty. Its really not possible to generalize about Corvette owners. But coincidentally I've met quite a few Corvette owners who also have Jaguars. Its no wonder. Geoff Lawson drove his red 69 Corvette to his office in Coventry for many years.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I missed this thread as it was just before I joined the forum. I've been into restoring classic Corvettes for quite some years. Finally got an NCRS "Top Flight" last fall on the latest project so very proud of that. But the Corvette hobby is large and quite varied with 7 generations over 67 years, from the die-hard NCRS folks who prefer unrestored barn-finds regardless how horrible they look, to those like me who enjoy restoring them, to the Corvette Forum guys who begin excessive modifications as soon as the warranty runs out, to the guys who buy cheap old beaters to race, to the ones who trade up frequently, never owning one that's out of warranty. Its really not possible to generalize about Corvette owners. But coincidentally I've met quite a few Corvette owners who also have Jaguars. Its no wonder. Geoff Lawson drove his red 69 Corvette to his office in Coventry for many years.
Fair assessment of Vette owner spectrum. And yeah, it definitely makes sense Vette owners owning Jags. The F Type R was the FIRST car I considered when wanting a car to replace the Vette that I could drive in the winter but I initially dismissed it because it didn't come in a manual. Finally pulled the trigger on it after there was nothing else close. My only other somewhat viable option was a 2008-2012 Audi S5 as it was at least a coupe, had a V8 and a manual, but they're just kinda lacking in style and slow as *****. So the Jag it was.