Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice activated controls question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Voice activated controls question

Hello all!

I have a question about the voice activated controls in my S-type Jag - how do you know if you have it installed? I know that seems like a basic question, but I thought it was installed in my Jag when I bought it on Monday, but it appears not. The button is there on the steering wheel, the book came with the Jag documents I received, but whenever you press the button, it just mutes the radio. I also don't see a microphone which apparently should be there. Is it standard for the button to be on the steering wheel and for Jaguar to give you the instruction book, when it's not installed on your car???

And if it's not installed, whats the going price on having that added afterwards?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Old 12-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the box is about $3,000 from Jag. if you press the button on the steering wheel and it beeps (requesting voice input) then you have it, but if it just mutes your stereo you don't. all S types have that button, but it normally just acts as a mute (or ends phone calls in phone mode) but doesn't mean that you have the voice module.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jacobzking is a little high compared to my experience.

My S-type is a 2005 so I have the bluetooth interface and it was already installed. Adding the voice interface cost about $800. The exchange rate of US vs. Canadian dollars is also a factor. I've found it to be a valuable addition but, the primary utility is the bluetooth which can be added by itself as a retrofit.

The button on the steering wheel simply prevents you from having to replace the steering wheel if you add a phone or voice activation or both. Further, while it's use is limited in your case, there is some use in that you can mute the radio when you use your cell phone.

Were you told specifically that the voice module was present?

Eric

Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM

No I wasn't. I looked at so many Jags that I think I got myself turned around on what was specifically in this one. My error. Neither here nor there for me as my car was in mint condition when I bought it with only 55K kms (34K miles).

So you're saying that you can add the Bluetooth module alone as a retrofit? That, I think, would be the only important thing I would add to my car if I could. $800 seems a bit steep just for the ability to talk to your car. Especially because all of the controls are handy to reach anyways. Now if it talked back to you like Kit in Knight Rider, that would be something entirely else!

I really appreciate the input and help guys!

Rob

Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the voice ability and rarely use it, easier to press the buttons, I have the wired phone and know I would use the bluetooth if I had that, the wired phones no longer function as the technology is out of date

Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

egb6550 - it's not true that the wired phone no longer functions. Mine's fine. Not safe to use when moving so of very limited use, however. (I value my life and car more than a phone call.)

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=bluetooth

...talks about the difference between the Jaguar phone and bluetooth. It includes a pdf on installing the bluetooth module. That is a starting point and it is a terrific feature.

However, there are cheaper ways to go. If you have a bluetooth capable phone, a unit from Parrot (www.parrot.com) may be to your liking. They make a unit called the Minikit ($99 or less) that clips to the visor and provides handsfree phone service with your phone.

Or, see thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30048

...for a discussion on a combination bluetooth/navigation system that replaces your mirror for about $700. This is a really neat solution.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Oh boy, my wife is going to kill you Toller! No worries, I'll pretend you didn't tell me about that Azentek SmartMirror unit...

Now that is a smart solution. I have a handsfree bluetooth unit that clips on my sunshade already, but i don't have a GPS unit yet. That would cover off all aspects - and in style. I like the option of adding the back up camera as well.

What to do, what to do. Might wait for a bit - at least until the Xmas pocket book sting has passed. Wonder if she'll notice if the until one day suddenly appears in the Jag....

Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Well....what's the clip on device from Parrot cost...$100. Then, what's a really good Garmin unit cost...$300?

Parrot $100
Garmin $300
Total $400

Mirror unit ~ $700

Seems a fair trade for having integrated the two and...you can take it with you when you trade up. Plus...the security of having the unit "built-in".

Come on....work with me.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM

There's a potential bright spot in the SmartMirror story. Today my wife asked me to send the web link for the SmartMirror because she wanted to show a friend at work! Aka - she thinks the mirror is cool and wants to show it around. Too bad the Jag was my Xmas gift.... lol!

I do have a question though - the factory installed mirror in my Jag has the self dimming feature at night as do my side mirrors. By installing an aftermarket mirror like this, cause the side mirror self dimming function not to work? Because the rear view mirror and side view mirrors are connected are they not?

Rob

Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Jason (phd12volt) can better answer that than I. I'll take a guess that you'd lose the inside mirror only....but that's just a guess.