Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy an S type R, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to buy an S type R, please advise

Hello all fellow forum members.

I am in need of your assistance and expertise. I am looking to purchase a S type R (supercharged). I found a very clean and nice 03 with only 36k miles.

I keep reading all sort of issues with Jaguars, what are the real problems, are there really that many issues with this vehicle? I really don't want to buy a car and constantly visit the shop for repairs.

Please help me out with any info, inputs or opinions you might have.

The sooner the better.

Thank you all!
J.

The following users liked this post:
Robinb (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry zagato, that "Thanks" was unintended. Ipad thumb problems!

At 34k miles you're not too likely to have tranny or emission problems, but check the service history and try to ascertain if the car has been driven gently or raced. In any event:

Check that the tranny linkage cables are tightly bolted,
Be prepared to change the battery if it's more than 5 years old,
Make absolutely certain that both A/C and heating are working correctly, and that the temperature of the air coming out of all vents is what you expect,
Be prepared to change the thermostat,
Check the coolant reservoir for cracks and/or leaks,
Check that front tires are wearing uniformly, otherwise you need an alignment,
Check that one or both headlamps are not drooping, and can be adjusted.
Check that water drains properly down the roof channels.
Check that the TPS has been protected from heavy rain or carwashes.

My $0.02 worth. If all is OK, and the bodywork is good, you will love the car. Depending on the price, of course.

zagato (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by zagato

I keep reading all sort of issues with Jaguars,
99% of the people that bad mouth these cars have never driven, owned or even worked on one. Do your research on this site to get first handed info.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-07-2015), NBCat (04-06-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I really don't want to buy a car and constantly visit the shop for repairs.
Do you DIY?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 PM

Thank you all for your input. Yes DIY, no problem about that. I was just hearing and reading all sorts of crazy stuff about S Types and Jaguar in general.

The car that I found seems to be OK from what the guy told me over the phone. I will see it tomorrow and see it for myself.

Where should I take the car to test it out (dealer or shop) any recommendations in Orlando FL?

Thanks again for all your help. Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

Damn, I almost forgot...

Make sure the EPB is clean, has no broken or seized parts and works 5 times in a row!

Then, if you buy the car:

Re-torque the prop shaft bolts,
Lubricate the gas tank opening catch with lithium grease
Replace the OEM lug nuts with GOR-73138J from Summit Racing

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

There some existing threads about this... anyone have links?

Whatever make 2003 car you buy can be great or bad, you're taking a statistical sample of one 12-yr old car. I don't see the STR as any more or less reliable than many other makes and better than many. You still can be unlucky and ought to have some spare cash for repairs just in case.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 PM

Thanks all for your input.

I checked out the car today. Cosmetically looked very nice. What issues I found:

-strange noise / whine from steering wheel when steering at low speeds a couple of degrees (seemed to come from inside the care, not the outside).

- headlinear behind the moonroof is coming off, not badly but will need fixing.

- Sun vizior vanity mirror flap missing

- when engine on and hood up a light air sound from the right of the motor (as if a vacuum is loose or something). May not be an issue and normal sound for this engine, but seemed strange to me.

Other than that all looked ok. Went on a short test drive, floored it a couple of times and after stopping, a light smell of oil.... Could of been from flooring it.

Not sure if what to do, really need a reliable car and not looking in spending a lot on future breakdowns....

Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 PM

Just remembered, the rear parking sensors didn't work at all, owner did not know why... very tempted to buy it...

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member

Steering noise may be the PAS needs attention - may just need an additive from dealer you can buy for $15 or so.

Engine noise may be an air leak - you'll need to fix it ASAP. Cheap OBD tool like elm327 can let you watch fuel trims as you look for it.

There are threads about headliner, yes some do that but can be fixed.

Parking aid fault is commonly a dirty or damaged sensor - look at existing threads how to tell & fix.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Not sure if what to do, really need a reliable car and not looking in spending a lot on future breakdowns....
Does buying any 12 year old car make sense in that scenario?

joycesjag (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

My observations after 4 months. My Jag was purchased with 44,900 miles on it. I've had 16 cars in 24 years. 4 used, the balance of them were new. Mine ranged from Maserati to Chevrolet.

The car is over complicated for standard use. There is no reason for some of the "engineering" on the electrical system. There are entirely too many poorly made sensors and relays.

Be extremely careful when removing any plastic. It is a low quality product and the tabs will break with any pressure.

The interior quality is average and the glue used in the headliner subpar. It will be almost impossible to stop any dash rattles without major surgery. I do like the quality of the wood.

The 4.0 engine is great when it runs, but repairs are a monster from poor design and gong show engineering. The timing chain tensioner system is a Neanderthal and having seals on spark plugs is beyond dumb. Jaguar should have recalled every engine with this timing chain issue and fixed it FREE. I don't know about the transmissions yet, but it is a Ford product and should be good.

The suspension has some inferior bushings and joints. Junk and they will wear out early. The anti rattle rubber on my springs was coming loose and the anti sway bar joint rubber had deteriorated. If you hear popping start looking for which bushing is worn.

The positives on the car are the paint, body fit, and outside design. They got that right. No car in the industry has better factory paint. The overall look of the car is superior. Overall quiet ride is good and braking is excellent. The trunk (bonnet for you British subjects) is roomy and access to the spare is good.

I have found that you have to friggin' tinker with these cars. Not good. They are fussy. Things like the coolant expansion tank and lug nuts should have been recalled years ago and you will be replacing those two items. Do it before they break or crack.

When I bought the one I have now, I took it to a well recommended inspector and told him to tell me everything. He did. I have a punch list on this car and have one item to finish to have this car "good as new".

Others may have a different experience. This is mine after spending about 85 hours reconditioning a low mileage vehicle and then driving it 2900 miles.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

A fair few of those comments do not apply to the 2003+ cars, which include the STR. E.g. no issues with timing chains on its 4.2, suspension major changes.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't buy any 15 year old semi-exotic car and NOT expect to spend a ton of money and or time to bring it back up to snuff.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Now I really don't now what to do....

Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I wouldn't buy any 15 year old semi-exotic car and NOT expect to spend a ton of money and or time to bring it back up to snuff.
True, true, but keep in mind, it only has 36.000 miles..... other than normal maintenance I don't see how to through a ton of money on a very low mileage car.... I mean the car looks brand new in and out...

Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Now I really don't now what to do....

Zag,

Get the car inspected by someone with no skin in the game. Pay them so you know. Buying a car isn't about what you know it is about what is hidden or not known. It is worth a few hundred to find out.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
A fair few of those comments do not apply to the 2003+ cars, which include the STR. E.g. no issues with timing chains on its 4.2, suspension major changes.

True. I am only recalling my experience on the car I have now. Others will have different recall. I have looked at 2000-2006 models and most of what I see is the same excepting engine and suspension. Those two issues are different but those I drove had about the same response and handling. I drove 4 Jags in a week.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM

That's what I will do. I will take it to the dealership and have a full check on it.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM

True, true, but keep in mind, it only has 36.000 miles..... other than normal maintenance I don't see how to through a ton of money on a very low mileage car.... I mean the car looks brand new in and out...
You're banking on the hope that it won't break. It will. All cars break. You said above 'Not sure if what to do, really need a reliable car and not looking in spending a lot on future breakdowns.... ' The older they get the more often it happens. Doesn't matter if it's a Honda, GM or Jag. Low mileage means little.

Any repair on a high end car (Beemer, Merc, Audi, Jag, etc.) will cost you 2-3 times more than on a Joe Average car.

Many people look at buying these cars because they're 'inexpensive' but leave themselves short of cash when it comes to repairs.

Do you want this car because you're passionate about S-type Jags, or just because it appears to be affordable bling?

Quick Reply: Want to buy an S type R, please advise