S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leakage in an odd spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015 | 10:05 AM
|
Default Water leakage in an odd spot

Has anyone heard of this. I noticed it last night, so I would not be able to say if its been going on long or not. So here goes it.

On the drivers side, I noticed that my floor mat was wet. It was wet more so towards the top of the floor mat (under the brake pedal area). My wife had just driven the car and I know she would not spill water without telling me. It hat no smell that I could tell.

So I pulled the floor mat out to feel around and right where you would rest your foot on that one part to the far left, it was wet there. I left the floor mat out all night so it would dry up, and the other area I wanted to see if it would remain wet.

So far up to this point, its dried up, but that is pretty bizarre. I had a friend years ago have something like that and it turned out to be some drainage from the wiper well.

Any thoughts on this? So far its still dry, but it was not just wet, but to the point you could touch it and it was pretty wet. Not gushing, but wet.

Thanks, and still learning as much as I can on Jaguar. Hopefully I have sold my BMW by tonight. Figures, I just listed it, and the doggone radiator cracked on me. 800.00 to replace it. I loved that car, but boy, I am glad its about gone.

Tim

Old 02-04-2015 | 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Could be a couple different things causing the wet spots.

Here is a thread from Jon89, though his problem was the rear footwells, the problem possibly could be the front drain lines of your moonroof. Here is a link for Jons experience:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...esolved-79257/

Another possibility that you touched on is the wiper well. I know personally that the S Type wiper wells need an annual cleaning. In our case it is pine needles and very small leaves that collect and block the wiper well drains. Here is a link to getting to them, the cowl will need to be removed:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-32135/

The above link is for the IMT short route replacement, but it covers how to remove the wiper cowl.

The following users liked this post:
tkajohns (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015 | 10:56 AM
|

That makes sense now. I remember him having that issue, I will check these out. I have the car going into Jaguar itself Friday just to get peace of mind that its OK, after just buying it, I had to replace a trunk latch, that was my fault, I shut it to hard and the doggone trunk would not shut. But they were looking at an area that is near the transmission where the radiator is, I had asked about doing a trans flush and they said that a certain part has been cross threaded on, and they didnt want to take a chance of pulling it, something like transmission oil something or another, so my wife is taking it Jag here in Alpharetta to do a oil change and they apparently will look at that while the oil change and let me know. I do remember the tech came out and talked to me about it and showed me a pic of the area, and said it was leaking, now, there are no leaks in my garage and he said that I probably have noticed it shifting poorly, and no, which is what I told him. So I was a bit confused. Then had said that this was his first time trying this on a Jag. They were talking having to replace the radiator and that line and it costing 1600.00, so I dont think he knew what he was talking about, and I dont think they want to work on Jaguars. Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-04-2015 | 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Tim, you kinda lost me above. If you are talking about a water leak near the transmission, IIRC the front moon roof drain lines come through the body near the top of the transmission, very difficult to see even if the vehicle is on a lift.

Now that you brought up your transmission thingy being cross threaded I really hope it is not the oil fill plug, that my new friend could cost you serious cash to fix. Basically I believe that the transmission would have to lowered to gain enough access to drill and tap or heli-coil new threads. Many times on our ZF6HP26 gearboxes (transmissions) the electrical sleeve (looking up to the right from below) leaks on occasion. Ours leaked say more than a few drops then it would stop, couple weeks later it leaked again then stopped and did this a couple of times over until I replaced the sleeve.

Educate yourself on your gearbox here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-30991/
and here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...plained-37802/

**** On every motor oil change, MAKE SURE WHO EVER DOES IT, tightens the 2-8mm transmission shift cable bolts on the left side of the gearbox! I personally added anti-vibe (similar to locktite) to ours and haven't had a problem with them loosening. Just more FYI

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-04-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2015 | 03:58 PM
|

Sorry for the confusion, the water was under where the brake is in the drivers side.

the thing that the one mechanic said was possibly cross threaded is the Trans oil cooler line, Is that the same thing? They talked about having to replace the radiator and that line. I have never heard that part before even on a BMW, now my BMW is an older one and maybe it has that, I dont know. Mechanic I am not, Information Systems Privacy, I am.

Old 02-04-2015 | 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

If it's the moon roof drains you should have wetness at the top of the "A" pillar on the drivers side. Usually the drivers side door storage compartment will get water in it too.

We don't see this a lot on the S Type but it does happen.

Old 02-04-2015 | 04:08 PM
|

I believe that is it. Next time it rains which is tomorrow, will be a good indicator. Thanks and have a great day

Tim

Old 02-04-2015 | 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

One further comment since you are new to the S Type.

It's very common if not 100% certain that the transmission cooler lines will weep where they transition from steel lines to the flexible rubber hose. This rarely ever gets worse than a minor seep or drip but it does make a mess over time under the car.

As you were quoted it is a very expensive fix from Jaguar. They want to replace the entire line or lines because both will seep. If you have looked it's snaked around stuff pretty good! Not easy to swap out.

You can either live with it or do a very simple repair. You need to cut off the factory metal crimp that holds the rubber hose on the steel tube. Be careful doing this as the metal crimp is just sheet metal so very thin. Then either replace the rubber hose or just trim an inch or two off of it and then put it back on the steel tube using two worm drive clamps. Place the clamps opposite from each other and tighten them down.

Let's hope someone has not cross threaded one of your transmission cooler lines!

tkajohns (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015 | 06:17 PM
|

Well, I have Jaguar looking at it Friday. If they confirm it, then I will have to start getting quotes from folks. Mechanic, I am not. I am the first to admit my limits. Give me any PC, Server, Anything Microsoft and MAC, and anything Security Auditing, Privacy/Security breaches, Vulnerability scanning, I got it, 30 years of IT, that I can do. But working on a car, I stink. No patience at all. I dont have the tools either. I used to love working on old cars, they were easier. But today, shucks, way over my head. So if you live in Atlanta somewhere and know of a good place that is fair in price, and if Jaguar (Hennessey) confirms it, then I sure could use the advice. And just a ball park, any idea on what a price is? We arent talking thousands are we? From a normal place of course? Surely I am thinking like 750-1000 to fix something like that. Thoughts?

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tkajohns
Well, I have Jaguar looking at it Friday. If they confirm it, then I will have to start getting quotes from folks. Mechanic, I am not. I am the first to admit my limits. Give me any PC, Server, Anything Microsoft and MAC, and anything Security Auditing, Privacy/Security breaches, Vulnerability scanning, I got it, 30 years of IT, that I can do. But working on a car, I stink. No patience at all. I dont have the tools either. I used to love working on old cars, they were easier. But today, shucks, way over my head. So if you live in Atlanta somewhere and know of a good place that is fair in price, and if Jaguar (Hennessey) confirms it, then I sure could use the advice. And just a ball park, any idea on what a price is? We arent talking thousands are we? From a normal place of course? Surely I am thinking like 750-1000 to fix something like that. Thoughts?
I'm in the same line of business as you (and almost the same length of time - and a CISSP to boot) - and in the same city. My new acquisition was also serviced by Hennessey in Buckhead. The last repair I found out was done by a shop in Tucker, that specializes in Jags, and Cadillacs (what a combo). They did do good work, and much less than the dealership. Name is Kuhn Automotive. 3849 Stephens Court, Tucker 30084.

tkajohns (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 10:24 AM
|
Default Small world

I have been a CISSP on my 9th year now. Been infosec for 16 years. Been IT for 30 now and seems like 50. I am an MCSE going back to 1994, but thats not a big thing anymore. I have my C/CISO, ISO as well. Usually folks dont like me, my real work is Risk Management/Audits, but more Project Management now. Its different, but I like it. How about you?

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:26 AM
|

I have heard of them down in Tucker. I have not found much up here in North Alpharetta other than Jag themselves. Some claim to work on Jags, but no thanks. I hope they have that get together again soon.

I also go to the Caffeine and Exotics usually every month. Several friends of mine are Surgeons, one in particular drives a 2015 Nissan GTR, he just had the Switzer kit put on it, 850HP, I drove it before he had it modified, and unreal, I cant imagine now. They have some of the newer Jags show up as well, those are just plain beautiful. And they sound brilliant.

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:46 AM
|

So I dont send messages that dont pertain to Jaguar, my email is tkajohns@gmail.com. I work two jobs, one is a part-time perm for a close friend of mine that owns the company, kills me too, he owns four Ferrari's. Anyway, I also work for Northside. Shoot me an email some time. Always nice to have tech contacts in Atlanta.

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

I have heard of them down in Tucker. I have not found much up here in North Alpharetta other than Jag themselves. Some claim to work on Jags, but no thanks. I hope they have that get together again soon.

I also go to the Caffeine and Exotics usually every month. Several friends of mine are Surgeons, one in particular drives a 2015 Nissan GTR, he just had the Switzer kit put on it, 850HP, I drove it before he had it modified, and unreal, I cant imagine now. They have some of the newer Jags show up as well, those are just plain beautiful. And they sound brilliant.
Don't go to a generic mechanic for a Jag. My wife took the ST to one (I bought this car from HER) and they couldn't even rectify a coil on plug misfire. I do that on my F-150, but she didn't want me to do it - and it cost her $600 for shoddy work.

BTW, I am a PMP since 2007, but was re-org'd to Ops Security - so that meant chasing yet another piece of paper. I have a wall full of certs and degrees - only means that's areas of the wall that do not need to be painted. If Kuhn's can work of V-12 XJ-S', they can work on S-types. I don't know of any good shops north of the Perimeter.

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Please post back the repair to help the rest of us DIY guys out too.

It's amazing what some shops charge and the explainations they come up with!

tkajohns (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 10:58 AM
|

sounds like you and I have seen the same trenches. Always nice to find the old vets in IT. This is my first time doing PM work, I was Director of IT for 13 years in healthcare, and it got to be a bit much working 70 hours a week. My two closest friends are doctors, and I worked for a large clinic here in Atlanta, but decided to try this instead. PM work is not easy sometimes.

Certs, I hear ya, I have 13, most I have let lapse, I keep my CISSP and C/CISO going, just got the ISSEP, and I am done. That I took just to see if I could pass it. I love law and studied a lot in regs and case laws dealing with Privacy Breaches so I figured why not.

Thanks for the info on Tucker, and I agree you with, I got burned once using a mompop shop, never again. They screwed up my BMW when it was much newer and now its much older, its my baby, trying to talk my daughter into taking that car to save me buying her a volvo which is what she wants. Teenagers, goodness

Take care,

Old 02-05-2015 | 11:01 AM
|

Absolutely, I will do that. I want Jag (it goes to Hennessy tomorrow) to let me know what they find. I will say when I asked Pete at Hennessy the cost to replace certain things, they werent much higher than other places I talked to.

There is one place called Autossey over in Marietta? Thats the place the previous owner used, but when I look at some of his pricing, might as well take it to Jaguar. Hard to tell. Jaguars and BMW are so different in who can work on them. I have a great place that works on my BMW and thats all they work on including Mini's.

Old 02-05-2015 | 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Absolutely, I will do that. I want Jag (it goes to Hennessy tomorrow) to let me know what they find. I will say when I asked Pete at Hennessy the cost to replace certain things, they werent much higher than other places I talked to.

There is one place called Autossey over in Marietta? Thats the place the previous owner used, but when I look at some of his pricing, might as well take it to Jaguar. Hard to tell. Jaguars and BMW are so different in who can work on them. I have a great place that works on my BMW and thats all they work on including Mini's.
There's another one - Corzav's in Lithonia - but they are primarily a body shop. When my wife hit someone with this Jag, they were one of the few places that allowed me to fetch used parts, and they did the work. Saved the car from getting totaled just on cost. I had them do work on my '95 Caddy SLS, which I got rid of to buy this S-Type. They DID use the Ford part # cross-reference, which saved $ of some of the sensors, and I gave them a used sunroof assembly, saving hundreds in the process.

BTW, IT gurus do NOT get paid Surgeon money. No GTRs, Maybachs, Bentleys or Italian exotics for us! Heck, a 13-year old S-Type is still considered a luxury vehicle for IT folks!

Old 02-05-2015 | 11:20 AM
|

No kidding on the cars. I just bought this S Type, and it being 10 years old, I didnt care. I love it and I feel like they do when they buy their 100k cars (well, 150K cars). you are right, we dont make what we used to back in the day.

Old 02-05-2015 | 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

No kidding on the cars. I just bought this S Type, and it being 10 years old, I didnt care. I love it and I feel like they do when they buy their 100k cars (well, 150K cars). you are right, we dont make what we used to back in the day.
And on this '02, it WAS babied, and the interior looks brand new. After Corzav's did the body, it looks like a brand new car! (and is the most "luxurious" I've owned....a 1966 Cadillac does NOT count) - OK, except for folks in the know, realize that S-Types were discontinued....