Sponsored by:

WATER IN TRANSMISSION!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WATER IN TRANSMISSION!

Is this possible? I just had my 2000 S-TYPE 3.0 tranny rebuilt 8
months and 10,000 miles ago, It broke again and now the shop says
that the warranty is void because they found water or coolant in the fluid.
Where did this water came from? The coolant level seems ok. I checked the JTIS manual and it seems that the trans oil cooler is not inside the radiator but a different part. Please help, I don't want to get the shaft again.

UPDATE:
Well, here's the thing: I just came back from the Jag dealer, I asked the service advisor if this cooler is inside the radiator or not. He consulted with a technician and he said that indeed, the cooler is inside. BUT then I went to the parts desk, asked for the transmission cooler and the guy told me that it was not part nor inside the radiator, he showed me the diagram and explained to me that it has only 2 inlets and 2 outlets. (this cooler also cools the power steering fluid, diferent lines but same panel). I went back to the service area and told this to the advisor, who asked again the technician who said the same thing than before and that if I wanted, I could bring the car for a check-up. Who is right? I believe that the technician, assuming that a lot of cars and maybe other Jags have this lines running inside the radiator, answered the question without even looking to a diagram or a car. I cant' check this myself on the car right now because the car is in the shop.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: WATER IN TRANSMISSION!

Although rare, this can happen. The transmission cooler lines run up into the radiator on the left side. Different from the power steering cooler section. I would find out why it is leaking into trans, then start assigning blame if there is any to be assigned.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:15 AM

So, if this this is true, do I need a new radiator and not a new oil cooler?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Without looking at your car, there is no way to tell where the problem is.
If it is in the shop, what are they telling you?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM

You are right, I should be looking at my car.Is just that the more Ilook at the diagram, the more I think that there is no way that the coolant could get in the trans fluid. Maybe I'm wrong, I dont know right now. I just wanted to find out before I go back there to pick up the car so I could be more educated about how the trans cooling system work so they couldntf**** me over. Thanks a lot. Anyway the shop (trans shop, not Jag) is telling me that that trans fluid was contaminated, and that the cause whas that the cooling system leaked coolant through the radiator because the trans oil cooler isinside or part of the radiator and maybe some pipe or tube broke. They didnt look the cooler, they just saw some trans lines running into the radiator assembly (radiator, air condenser and oil cooler) and assumed that the contamination came from the cooling system. By the way, the coolant level is ok, it's not contaminated and there is no outside coolant or trans fluid leak. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any update? That sucks that this happens...hopefully it all gets taken care of. Be persistent and do what you can...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM

UPDATE:

I just received a call from the shop, they told me that they called the Jag dealer and that they said that it's possible to get coolant in the trans if the radiator was broken. Then they offered me that if i fix the cooling system they will fix the trans charging only for the damaged parts. Now, should I cut my loses and accept this deal? I don't want to come too strong and **** them off because the could retire the offer but I think that if I'm right (I'm really not sure if I'm right) I should't pay one cent. I think I justaccept the offer,take out the radiator myself and check for myself if I'm right or wrong.Then, I will make a decision.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Man I don't know what I'd do if I were you...seems funny they'll do the work for free and you pay for parts??? To me they'd flip it around the other way you pay labor and they'll pay parts or make the tranny company pay for parts...or just dismiss you and say it's not our fault. They could be helping because they'd hate to screw you over but who knows these days. I'd like to think everyone is honest but that is not always the case. Good luck with it though! Keep us updated!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM

If that is the offer they are making, I would have them do it that way on the understanding that the warranty will be set again from the day they redo it. Put a new radiator in there, flush out the cooler lines and have them do it. It is a pretty good deal although after I sent the PM to you, you still didnt say waht the original failure was.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 AM

The original failure was that the car stayed in thirdgear and the gearbox warning light was on. The failure now is that when in reverse, the trans slips andyou can feel some hard thunks.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Went to get my car this morning, they still say coolant was in trans. They told me they flushed fluid, add new and then fluid turned pink. But they did show me again the bucket with the original fluid contaminated with water or coolant. I took a picture:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203603053

Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Now thats a floor you can eat off. My god.

If that came out of your transmission, I would say it is a safe bet that your coolant leaked into trans fluid. Get the radiator and have them do the rebuild for free. Again make sure they warranty it again as you are fixing what they are telling you to. Get it in writing.
Good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

definitly leaking...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:51 PM

I just took apart the radiator assembly and there is NO trans lines running into it. It only has one inlet and one outlet, one for the upper hose and another for the bottom hose. Thetrans oil cooler is a different part with 2 outlets and 2 inlets, for the trans fluid and the power steering fluid. The fluid that came from thetrans cooler lines looked contaminated(they supposely changed the fluid) and the fluid that came from the power steering lines looked ok. Where the h@#$ this water or coolant came from? I hate to sound like a broken record but I'm reallypuzzled!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM

you need to take pictures of what you are looking at. If you have a seperate transmission oil cooler, that is highly unusual for an S-Type. Please take pics of what you are seeing also of the radiator.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Ok, here are the pics. The radiator, cooler and a/c condenser are still in the car, I haven'tremoved themyet becausein order to remove these I have to reclaim the a/c refrigerant. I checked the JTIS again and found that other models(I checked the 2003 one) there is indeed a trans fluid line running into the radiator. But the 2000 model diagram showed exactly was I just saw, there in no lines running into radiator. The only thing I could think of is that the cooler is broken inside and the power steering fluidmixed with trans fluid, but in this case the trans fluid shouldn't look like they showed me (prevous thread). The water puddle theory died when they told me that after they flushed and refill the trans, the fluid came contaminated again. Here are the pics:

You can't see the cooler here but the alum line is from the a/c to the condenser, A straight black line that you see under the radiator bottom outlet goes from the steering system to the cooler and the rubber one you side goes from the power steering fluid reservoir to the cooler:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885561

Another view. The alum line that you see is attached to the a/c condenser:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885248

Another view of the cooler:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885343

here you can see the radiator on one side, the trans fluid cooler in the middle and the a/c condenser on the other side:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885413

these are 2 alum pipes coming from trans, hooking up with 2 rubber hoses going into oil cooler:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885469

This is not mine but is exactly as mine. The two hoses in the bottom go to the transmission. The other two go to the steering system and the power steering reservoir:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1203885509

Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM

None of those links work.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Sorry. Fixed. Please try again.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Well if they are saying there was coolant in the trans fluid, I would love to know how.
The power steering fluid definitly could have leaked in with the trans fluid. Easy test is to block off the upper left hose and the lower right hose. Then force fluid through it. If it comes out the other hose, you know for sure that there is a leak inside the cooler. Replace it, have them rebuild transmission and you should be fine. I would also tell them that based on the immediate failure of the transmission after their rebuild, they should pay for it all as they didnt correct the reason it failed in the first place. Highly unlikely it was just coincidental.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Man that sucks...I hate being right and trying to prove they are wrong. Just be persistent I had to deal with that crap the last 2 weeks...good luck hopefully it's fixed for free and all is taken care of. I imagine that as of right now you won't ever take a tranny to those guys eh? I've found that the hardest shop to find other than a good jag dealer (J/K) is a good tranny shop!

Quick Reply: WATER IN TRANSMISSION!