Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterless Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
The Evans coolant expands and contracts no differently than any other liquid. The ONLY difference is the point at which it boils.

Taking the cap off to watch the level rise with conventional coolant is a bit of a circus sideshow slight of hand trick that's not comparable to actual running conditions. It induces a condition that does not exist when the cap is in place.
Of course, even solids expands when heated. The expansion is just way lower then with coolants that contain water, and the little there is can be easily taken by the hoses.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avos
Oem is already given 10 years of service life by Jaguar and it is free of silicate, nitrite, borate, phosphate, nitrate and amines, so you are right that JagV8 will not see any issues there on the water pump ;-)

Am certainly not afraid to try something else, and I would even consider waterless coolant like evans. I really like some aspects of it, the lower toxicity levels amongst others, the high performance aspects and zero pressure.

Although on paper it all looks good what you say of poats, the OEM coolant does suffice already very well for most of us (not many need 750Kmiles protection) and it doesn’t contain the nasty additives you mention that are harmful, where I can understand it would make a difference for commercial vehicle fleets.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm not afraid to try something new if it works better I'll use if not I'll go back to what I had.
I know a few ppl that use the waterless with no issues.

But I'm not trying to sell anybody anything just explaining y POAT is a better antifreeze again use what u want

Avos I know you get it and were some don't understand. And never will .

Y would I try to sell anybody 1 gallon of antifreeze on here when I can sell 55-330 up 5,000 gallons to bigger company.

I'm just telling ppl what's out there and what's new in the world of antifreeze.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyrich007
Yeah and jaguar also said seal for life on the transmission. LOL.
Not for many years did they say that, as you can see on TOPIX. I've never actually seen that they ever did.

You keep posting falsehoods, which really doesn't help you.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyrich007
I'm just telling ppl what's out there and what's new in the world of antifreeze.
You've done it, a lot. A heck of a lot. Please stop now.

Doing it with falsehoods and lies is not helping. Just stop, please. Or maybe go to Off Topic, as it really is OFF TOPIC.

Mods: any chance you could move this to Off Topic? It's got essentially nothing to do with S-Types, frankly.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The expansion is just way lower then with coolants that contain water, and the little there is can be easily taken by the hoses.
Again, no. There's nothing that makes Evans coolant expand at a rate notably different than any other coolant, including pure water.

Evans makes no claims contradicting this.

A car equipped with Evans coolant will still build pressure in the system until it reaches the set point of the rad cap, no different than with conventional coolant or water.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Boy am I sorry I asked about it in the first place...

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by pab

LOL

Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I was ask Y poly antifreeze is better then OEM / HOAT and OAT type antifreeze. I broke it down all the way to the chemistry and they still didn't understand guess the 16 years on here would not understand. Better corrosion and cavitation protection is better any day of the week. I'm done on this blog

Everyone have a great day .

Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Better is always good, but I suppose it depends on the degree of improvement balanced against the additional cost.
The cost of "hot" coolant passed over at the bottom of a Walmart parking lot needs to be excluded from any calculation.
Looks like we need all to agree to disagree on this one and carry on using what we like best.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
I'm kinda glad you did, but it has been tedious and repetitive.

I really don't need a coolant that outlives me or my coolant hoses. What I would like rickyrich007 (or any other coolant consultant) to tell me, in simple words, is:

(a) If I replace OE with Evans, how much hotter will the coolant run and how will that affect IAT's,

(b) The pressure in an OE-coolant radiator is maybe 12-15 psi. What would this pressure be if OE is replaced with an identical volume of Evans.

What I DON'T want to hear is one more word about OAT, HOAT, POAT, silicates, nitrites, borates or phosphates.

Norri (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Again, no. There's nothing that makes Evans coolant expand at a rate notably different than any other coolant, including pure water.

Evans makes no claims contradicting this.

A car equipped with Evans coolant will still build pressure in the system until it reaches the set point of the rad cap, no different than with conventional coolant or water.
Your correct, I had mixed things up. To run pressure less with evans you need a pressure less cap (which I would probably do whne I decide for it).

However the thing I remembered with the car I had it on, was that the pressure was just way lower on the tubes.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinb
I'm kinda glad you did, but it has been tedious and repetitive.

I really don't need a coolant that outlives me or my coolant hoses. What I would like rickyrich007 (or any other coolant consultant) to tell me, in simple words, is:

(a) If I replace OE with Evans, how much hotter will the coolant run and how will that affect IAT's,

(b) The pressure in an OE-coolant radiator is maybe 12-15 psi. What would this pressure be if OE is replaced with an identical volume of Evans.

What I DON'T want to hear is one more word about OAT, HOAT, POAT, silicates, nitrites, borates or phosphates.
If I would go for Evans, I would split the engine coolant system from the intercooler system. This way you could run a 25% oat 75% water mix for the intercooler system (if temperatures allow). This will remove the heat more efficient then evans can and you have less chance of lower flow on the intercooler pump, as I would have my doubts with pure higher viscosity evans.

This all is just too much hassle with limited benefits for standard cars imho. I am only considering this as I am upping my power even more than I already have, and don’t want to replace all my aging (250Kmiles) rubber hoses, so like the pressure less part of it.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Your correct, I had mixed things up. To run pressure less with evans you need a pressure less cap (which I would probably do whne I decide for it).
And that's the key point that's been glossed over in many discussions of this product. Given that there's no components on S-types that suffer an abbreviated life due to normal operating pressures, I see no point in modifying the system to run at atmospheric pressure. Like many things in life, just because it can be done doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
I also hope you guys are using the Royal Purple. It made my engine last almost as long as my conventional oil. Great stuff. I swear by it.
A touch of sarcasm, perhaps? Duly noted LOL.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
A touch of sarcasm, perhaps? Duly noted LOL.
Always.. LOL.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-14-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Made me laugh.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Me too. It's important to note that you need to use Royal Purple. Regular Purple just doesn't measure up.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Your correct, I had mixed things up. To run pressure less with evans you need a pressure less cap...
Avos, are you saying that the I can run a pressure-less coolant system with Evans?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Me too. It's important to note that you need to use Royal Purple. Regular Purple just doesn't measure up.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinb
Avos, are you saying that the I can run a pressure-less coolant system with Evans?
Well, I wouldn't until I have done it myself, but Evans claims it can, and the boiling point pressure less is already 190C or so I think it should. At least Evans in a 1999 XKR (TS Kit fitted) does run fine with it with the normal pressure cap.

That one (even with the normal pressure cap) did run a lower pressure already, at least that was noticeable when squeezing the hoses.

Will decide in a month or 2 what I will do on my car, i.e. evans or oem coolant.

But I don’t think Evans is worth the trouble for standard cars, I wouldn’t do it at least.

Robinb (08-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Waterless Coolant